Appraisal sq ft measurement

superwrat

Hi, I'm about to close on a condo and just got the appraisal report. Somehow the measured sq ft came in 10% lower than what the listed size was. So... thinking that the appraiser did a sloppy job, I went and double-checked his measurements but still ended up 5% less than listing.

The 5% variance isn't a deal breaker but I'm surprised because I have the original sales brochure with the floor plan... and the sq ft on the brochure matches the listing. Also, this condo was the original model home so I find it hard to believe the sales brochure was that inaccurate. So I'm thinking that my measuring technique is flawed. Can someone confirm if:

1. Liveable space is any area that has A/C and heating? I excluded the garage and balcony spaces.
2. Should the measurement capture each floor from wall to wall and ignore any interior walls & unusable/dead space? (Which is what I did).
3. Should I include the space between the drywall and exterior perimeter? This I didn't include... if I did then it might make up the 5% difference.

Thanks.

Back