IUSD - Principals and Musical Chairs

socal78

The principal at Stonegate elementary, Mr. Brown, stepped down this week after only five months on the job. According to one of the teachers I spoke with, this move was not anticipated when he began. The plan was to fill a long-term, permanent position.

This move came after the school's former home site at the Westwood Basics Plus campus experienced a change of guards, with two new principals in as many years.

Promotion to school board is a common goal of many, but it does not appear that was the case here and I am curious what prompted the principal's decision.

For any IUSD parents out there - is this a typical thing you've seen in your child's school career?

irvine123 said:
socal78, do you have any kids attending stonegate?  I am debating between woodbury and stonegate...

Yup, Stonegate.

Are your kids in either of the two schools now?

Not yet...My six year old, who is in private KG now, will be going to 1st grade either at woodbury or stonegate.  My preliminary experiences with Woodbury admin. just during the past 3 weeks has been a little bit concerning.  We are trying to decide which school we should send our boy to. 

How do you like stonegate? If I remember correctly from IHB, your kids are either 1st or 2nd grade right now? any input would be greatly appreciated!!

irvine123 said:
How do you like stonegate? If I remember correctly from IHB, your kids are either 1st or 2nd grade right now? any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Sorry, I just saw this. Stonegate... meh. The communication between staff and parent could use improvement. I get frustrated when they send us emails on short notice (i.e. 1-2 hours ahead, or night before) or no notice at all. They make frequent changes to the school calendar or add events with little head's up to parents. The teacher gave us the number to the classroom to call if we have a question that the office can't address so several times I've tried calling the classroom to ask a question and they never seem to pick up. Their loading / unloading zone is nightmarish but I hear that's the case at every school. Their rainy day schedule is complex when it comes to picking the kids up. They could basically be in three or four different locations at pick up time.  Again, I've tried getting in touch with the admin about that and they point fingers at each other. The previous principal told me to call his secretary. The secretary tells me to talk to the principal. Which is it? Then he left the school. I could go on.

The plus is a newer facility, obviously. It looks well-equipped. Actually, I have a photo-tour posted on IHB if you want to see:http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/6089/

Also, the staff transferred over from WBP, so they are experienced in this district. The parents all seem good about helping out the class.

When you say you've had concerns with the Woodbury admin., what type of concerns have you had?

Back