Irvine 20 years ago

panda

http://www.cityofirvine.org/mm/demographics/demographics.htm

1990 median home price - $245,000
2000 median home price - $301,400
Home prices in Irvine rose only 23% in ten years (1990 - 2000), Averaging 2.3% a year.

Home price / median income = 3.92
Today this ratio is around 7

1990 Irvine population is about 1/2 what it is today.

Ethnic demographics
1990 White 68.8% / Asian 22.1%
2000 White 61.1% / Asian 29.8%
2008 White 59.1% / Asian 36.5%

In 1990 77.4% of the companies based in Irvine had less than 10 employees. 86.4% had less than 20 employees. I would guess today (2010) that less than 15% of the companies have less than 20 employees. 1990 was a great time for small entrepeneurs with big dreams to base their business in Irvine.

[quote author="Panda "]
Ethnic demographics
[/quote]
Someone who knows math correct me, but isn't that Asian growth somewhere around 65%?

Where is graphrix?

interesting numbers... im no expert, my question is does that number include asians who were students at UCI? there was already a large amount of asians at UCI in early 90s. i was one of those asians, and yes i did not get into UCLA and ended up here in irvine...

Hey,

Thank you for your honesty. UCI are for those who can't make Cal and UCLA. Nontheless it is still a great school since 1986.

From my 70's era the Asian retards from Belmont High went to UCI because it was as easy as Cal State LA but much better because their immigrant parents can't take the bus there.

I too only went to Irvine because I couldn't get into Cal or UCLA. Heck, I didn't even get into Davis, which was actually a blessing in disguise!

[quote author="graceomalley"]Hey,

Thank you for your honesty. UCI are for those who can't make Cal and UCLA. Nontheless it is still a great school since 1986.

From my 70's era the Asian retards from Belmont High went to UCI because it was as easy as Cal State LA but much better because their immigrant parents can't take the bus there. [/quote]

Ha, I guess I am the exception. I got into UCLA and UCI but I choose to go to UCI instead. Though the decision was not based on school. Going back to my favorite movie grace, "Got to go see about a girl". This girl is my wife now. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

[quote author="Panda "]http://www.cityofirvine.org/mm/demographics/demographics.htm

1990 median home price - $245,000
2000 median home price - $301,400
Home prices in Irvine rose only 23% in ten years (1990 - 2000), Averaging 2.3% a year.

Home price / median income = 3.92
Today this ratio is around 7

1990 Irvine population is about 1/2 what it is today.

Ethnic demographics

In 1990 77.4% of the companies based in Irvine had less than 10 employees. 86.4% had less than 20 employees. I would guess today (2010) that less than 15% of the companies have less than 20 employees. 1990 was a great time for small entrepeneurs with big dreams to base their business in Irvine.
[/quote]

Interesting information, thank you.

14wxhdi.jpg

Oh yes.. the good old days. Donald Bren writes his vision for Irvine in 1997 of what Irvine will look like in 2020 as the city enters into its growth phase. Today in 2010, Irvine is a fully grown mature adult.

USCTrojanman.. I know.. I know what you are going to say. You and I were born 5 years too late. Too bad that we were poor college students eating ramen noodles from our dorm room when this awesome article was published in July 19, 1997. There are so many triggers and hints from this article that Irvine was going to be the next sizzling HOT place! <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

By 2020 IHO would be very lucky to have a 1CWG. He kept settling for less and less from a 3CWG to 2.5CWG to 2CWG to .....1CWG.

[quote author="graceomalley"]By 2020 IHO would be very lucky to have a 1CWG. He kept settling for less and less from a 3CWG to 2.5CWG to 2CWG to .....1CWG.[/quote]
Were you sitting behind me this morning when I was looking at those Northwood Point Carlyle Lane's End homes with the 1-car wide garage with a door in the front and the back so you can park 2 cars end to end?

By 2020, Irvine homes will cost so much I won't be able to afford a car... 0CWG!!

Panda - where do you live right now? I've read that you don't live in the area, but you sure do have a lot of nice vintage articles about Irvine! Thanks.

Hey.. Steve.. dude your wedding dance video was awesome! you and your wife looked better than Kaba Modern in America's Best Dance Crew! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

I live in Des Plaines, IL - sort of like the Santa Ana version of Chi-Town, but my overhead is really low. We're looking forward to move to a nice new area with top notch schools where median homes prices 2X income. Thanks to BKshopr, Panda is no longer addicted to Irvine <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> Although, I really like the people here.

i think Trojan said something like " A happy wife is a happy life " to qwerty.. I guess I would rephrase that statement as "A brand new Villa Rosa SFR that is 2X my income = a happy life, a happy wife, and happy children" <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

[quote author="Panda "]Hey.. Steve.. dude your wedding dance video was awesome! you and your wife looked better than Kaba Modern in America's Best Dance Crew! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

I live in Des Plaines, IL - sort of like the Santa Ana version of Chi-Town, but my overhead is really low. We're looking forward to move to a nice new area with top notch schools where median homes prices 2X income. Thanks to BKshopr, Panda is no longer addicted to Irvine <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) --> Although, I really like the people here.

i think Trojan said something like " A happy wife is a happy life " to qwerty.. I guess I would rephrase that statement as "A brand new Villa Rosa SFR that is 2X my income = a happy life, a happy wife, and happy children" <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->[/quote]

Panda,

Great area to live in. It is along the way to my favorite seafood spot in Wheeling, IL -- Bob Chinn's http://bobchinns.com/

I used to live on the Gold Coast area. I miss the Chicago summers living near the lake.

[quote author="IACRenter"]
[quote author="Panda "]Hey.. Steve.. dude your wedding dance video was awesome! you and your wife looked better than Kaba Modern in America's Best Dance Crew! <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

i think Trojan said something like " A happy wife is a happy life " to qwerty.. I guess I would rephrase that statement as "A brand new Villa Rosa SFR that is 2X my income = a happy life, a happy wife, and happy children" <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->[/quote]

Panda,

Great area to live in. It is along the way to my favorite seafood spot in Wheeling, IL -- Bob Chinn's http://bobchinns.com/

I used to live on the Gold Coast area. I miss the Chicago summers living near the lake.[/quote]

Ha.. Bob Chinn's is also our favorite seafood restaurant in the area. We'll be having our 5 year anniversary in two weeks and I'll be taking her there. OMG.. I can't believe it has already been 5 years! Wow how time flies! <!-- s:eek: -->:eek:<!-- s:eek: -->

I went to Jr. High in Irvine (lived in Northwood area), it did not seem as if it was 20% Asian back then to be honest.

[quote author="Panda "]
[quote author="IACRenter"]

Panda,

I used to live on the Gold Coast area. I miss the Chicago summers living near the lake.[/quote]

Ha.. Bob Chinn's is also our favorite seafood restaurant in the area. We'll be having our 5 year anniversary in two weeks and I'll be taking her there. OMG.. I can't believe it has already been 5 years! Wow how time flies! <!-- s:eek: -->:eek:<!-- s:eek: -->[/quote]

Try some of their Kona Crab for me--yum yum--my favorite dish. Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary.

Back