Vote on the Smite Feature

Maybe I don't have enough internet forum experience... but to me... it just seems like a humorous way to say "gee, I liked that comment" or "Boy, that is silly/inane/boring/stupid" Apparently most people take it way more seriously...

for the record I object to the terms, Exalt, Smite & Karma, purely on a Theological standpoint... other than that I'm cool ^_^

[quote author="roundcorners"]for the record I object to the terms, Exalt, Smite & Karma, purely on a Theological standpoint... other than that I'm cool ^_^[/quote]

I vote for leaving it alone and see if it floats. Humans are creatures of habits. Some bad. Life is change. Lets see what happens with the new board for a couple weeks.

I also vote that this board is "Secular". And any mention of theology, Rick Warren, and anything else religious is to be in the religion/politics threads where I can shred you without offending others.

Being a member of several forums... negative rep is always bad. If someone doesn't like what they say, they won't get "thanked" and so the closer their rep is to zero... the less people trust them.

By allowing a way to negate it, it detracts from the positive you may have done, especially because the current incarnation does not allow you to see what you got exalted or smited (smote?) for.

Just like parenting, positive reinforcement is a preferred method.

[quote author="peteruk"]IHO, isn't it exalteded or smiteded?? [/quote]
You tell me... you're the guy who speaks proper english.

Heh.

Smiting is too negative...contrarian opinions are likely to get smited which might drive away insightful contrarian opinions...think of how many smites BK's "racist" commentaries would have gotten?

I don't care about the terminology. I do care that I have no idea what I did that was good or bad, and I have no idea who liked or didn't like it. It's hard to get feedback on what to post more or less of this way.

I agree, Cayci, BTW, you've been exalted. I feel like I have to post after exalting, just to let the person know! That will make for some high post counts I guess. I don't think I'd feel so strongly about the smites if we knew who did it and for what comment.

I am ... agnostic on the issue. <!-- s;-) -->;-)<!-- s;-) -->

I think a person's reputation can be determined by paying attention. The anonymity is troubling.

The more I think about it the more I don't like it. I think the Smite Feature should be removed and I agree that anonymity is troubling. People should take responsibility for their smites. It's true that smites might discourage stating different opinions. BTW Mojo's karma is now -11 and USCTrojanCPA is now -5 (I gave him 3 exalts). Maybe we need more wooden spoons!

spoons_main.jpg

[quote author="SoCal78"]If it makes you feel better, they can all be renamed. LOL[/quote]

Not nice! Where's my wooden spoon. Watch out or I might have to smite you! Ha, ha.

[quote author="cameray"]The more I think about it the more I don't like it. I think the Smite Feature should be removed and I agree that anonymity is troubling. People should take responsibility for their smites. It's true that smites might discourage stating different opinions. BTW Mojo's karma is now -11 and USCTrojanCPA is now -5 (I gave him 3 exalts). Maybe we need more wooden spoons!

spoons_main.jpg

[/quote]

I think I see one with your name on it Peter!

[quote author="cameray"]I think I see one with your name on it Peter![/quote]

No... no... the spoon says whacker, not wanker. <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

[quote author="cameray"]
[quote author="SoCal78"]If it makes you feel better, they can all be renamed. LOL[/quote]

Not nice! Where's my wooden spoon. Watch out or I might have to smite you! Ha, ha.[/quote]

Huh? What do you mean, Cam? I just meant they can be renamed to things like "Thanks" and "No Thanks" if it's the negative connotation of a smite that people don't like.

[quote author="graphrix"]
[quote author="cameray"]I think I see one with your name on it Peter![/quote]

No... no... the spoon says whacker, not wanker. <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->[/quote]

Same thing Dude <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

[quote author="peteruk"]
[quote author="graphrix"]

No... no... the spoon says whacker, not wanker. <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->[/quote]

Same thing Dude <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->[/quote]

You mean you have synonyms in English too?

[quote author="steppingup"]
[quote author="peteruk"]

Same thing Dude <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->[/quote]

You mean you have synonyms in English too? [/quote]

Yes, and it was pretty amusing when I first came to the US when I was trying to learn the Language..or rather lingo...

One can get oneself into a lot of trouble in the UK if you don't know some of the terms, for instance Randy = Horny, so if your name is Randy you shouldn't approach a Girl and say "Hi I'm Randy"

In the early Days one of my Bosses told me he was "Pissed", my reply was "well, you look prefectly fine to me" Because in the UK Pissed = Drunk...

One Day I was in a Department store and asked where the Toilets were, the Girls response was "Sorry Sir, we don't sell them Here, you need to go to Home depot" <!-- s:( --:mad:<!-- s:( -->

Then we have Tyres, Cheque Books, Colours...Wings on Cars and Boots too...

Back