Aliso Viejo Discussion Thread

momopi_IHB

Does anyone currently reside, or have lived in Aliso Viejo? If so could you please provide us with some info on the city, its neighborhoods, quirks, etc.? I'm also very interested in traffic situation during daily commute times. As a RE board, I'm sure everyone is also interested in the types of housing, HOA fees, prices, etc.

Some quick thoughts for you on Aliso Viejo...

It's an attractive place because most of it is relatively new (built mid-late 90s and later), and it is less expensive than Laguna Niguel or Dana Point. Expect to see a lot of packed-in properties, and lots of detatched condos that look like houses.

Good schools and very safe. Lots of interesting neighborhoods, and many have their own unique feel. I don't know if there are any areas that don't have a HOA - fees are usually $100 and up a month for condos, and maybe $50 for SFRs, but many include pools and other community features. Virtually all properties pay Mello Roos, so the taxes can be a bit high. Prices have come down there significantly.

Traffic is not too much of a problem. Aliso Creek Road is probably the main street if there were one, and it's not awful, not even during the 7 o'clock AM hour (don't know about right before 9 am). Not nearly as bad as Irvine is at least. The downside is parts of Aliso can be a little ways from the freeway. Your options are to take the 73 tollroad (very convenient, but obviously costly each month) or go to El Toro Rd and take the 133 to the 405 or 5. You could also just go out Alicia Pkwy through Laguna Hills to the 5.

Prices - starting at about $260k for a small 1-bedroom in an old, apartment-looking complex, all the way up to about $1.5 million for the biggest homes. Expect to pay about $400-450k for a 2-bedroom condo; $450k-$550k for 3 bed condo (again, many are detached condos and look like SFRs, but expect small lots); SFRs were in the $530-600k and up range recently, but things are changing fast.

I lived in the Picket Lane development from when it was first built in Dec 1999 until Spring 2006. These were detached condos. Our HOA fees for the neighborhood were about $130/month. Aliso Viejo has its own, additional HOA. That ran around $30/month, I think. We bought our place brand new and loved it at first. However, over time, more and more places were rented out, and the renters, in general, weren't great neighbors.

I agree with Caliguy's write up. So many of the roads are 6 lanes wide that traffic wasn't a problem. The parking lot around the theater and the shops there gets really full on weekend nights. The enjoyable reason for that is that people from other cities like to go there because it is nice and new. It is a fun place to walk around before/after dinner or a movie. The only traffic problem I had was driving through Irvine on the 405. Taking the 73 allows one to skip that, for a price of course.

Aliso Viejo has lots of stuff in it and around it - the big multiplex, lots of restaurants, a library, an ice-skating rink, access to the 73, 2 skateboarding parks nearby, bike trails, Laguna Niguel Park, Aliso/Wood Canyons Park, Laguna Coast Park, Soka University, and Laguna Beach is close.

<p>I lived in Av for 2 years, liked it at first, but then resented it for the following reasons.</p>

<p>

1) Cookie Cutter, as mentioned above, too many detached condos, all too brand new, not much of a neighborhood feel, if you want that neighborhood feel, you have to buy into the 800s+.</p>

<p>2) some tracts are total white trash, we bought in a condo development, in which people bought back in 1996 for very cheap, therefore many whute trash moved in, people working on their cars over the weekend, running car wash business in the development, smoking and drinking at the pool.</p>

<p>Good Luck</p>

<p> </p>

There are quite a few cities nearby Irvine. I think it'd be helpful if we start threads for people who live in MV, Lake Forest, RSM, etc. to comment on their neighborhoods vs. Irvine.

I work in Irvine, but would consider living in a nearby city, if it's close enough.

<p><em>>>I think it'd be helpful if we start threads for people who live in MV, Lake Forest, RSM, etc. to comment on their neighborhoods vs. Irvine.</em>

</p>

<p>Carpe diem, Momo! </p>

Monopi, if you don't have to live in Irvine, I think AV is an excellent alternative.

- View homes at AV instead of flatland in Irvine.

- price / sq ft is cheaper.

- excellent shopping, and dinning locally, and easy access to LB.

- Aliso High is good school

- The only issue is kids facilities, i.e park, tennis, pool, etc. In the new section of AV, none of the communities have pool.

- Personally, I will only consider AV and irvine.

I know the new areas (built after 1999) of AV really well. All the gated communicties (SF only) are in the new section. If you are looking for SF, can tell me what specific information you are looking for, I might be able to tell you more about historical, price, HOA, etc. Hard to describe AV in general, as the older part of AV and the "newer" (after 1999) part of AV feels quite different in my opinion.

Some of the other comments posted here are more applicable to the relatively "older" section. Not sure which areas savvyxuzzy were comparing to, I found AV to be much cooler than Irvine / Mission Viejo area. AV gets ocean breeze, and can be foggy from time to time.

Traffic wise:

* 73 North takes you to Newport Beach area in no time.

* The new 133 takes you to irvine in less than 20 mins (less if you live in the older section of AV, which is closer to 133), even at rush hours.

* The new 133 puts you 15 mins away from downtown Laguna Beach

* 73 South takes you to south I-5.

* It is not as easy to get to Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, El toro area, as you have to drive locally for 10 to 15 mins to reach I-5.

Shopping wide:

AV town center is really nice. Also next to laguan Niguel, Laguan Nills, so that gives you access to more shopping and dinning.

Most people in AV don't take the 73, because toll road bills add up quickly.

I find the area to be very inconvenient in terms of freeway access. Add 15 minutes to every trip you take unless you're staying in the city. Also, it is pretty hot in the summertime unless you're right at the top of the hill. People love to say its close to the ocean, but forget about the huge mountain between AV and Laguna Beach.

On the the positive side, its a price alternative to Ladera Ranch, but much easier to get to. The houses are new, and there are many kids. There are a lot of taxes and fees, but in return there are many parks.

Personally I like the Lake Forest/MV area a lot more, due to variety, freeway close, and many more types of business, but that's just my opinion.

I lived in Glenwood Park for a few years with the Ex. It does get hotter in AV as compared to Irvine. AV is great if you have kids. Lots of parks and all the schools are close. Like another poster said in here. There are some areas where renters have run down some of the smaller condo complexs. A sure sign is old cars in the carports that dont look like they run or have ever been washed. AV has some good restaurants close by and the theatre is right in the middle of town. I have a freind that just moved to The City Lights apartments from our IAC complex and she loves it there. You can use Moulton to get up to the 5/405 north or to the Spectrum. Moulton can be a bit nasty at rush hour. As others have said you can use the 73. But I find I only use it when in a rush or going to the Airport. Over all I liked AV when we first moved in there was 4000 people in 1993. Now its like 50,000 and still not too crazy crowded.

If Aliso had easier freeway access it would be a great community. However, it only has easy access to the 73 and that is a huge draw back for me. Their are some mediocre restaurants in the area but for anything real good you need to head to LB or over near the Newport / Irvine area. As for the heat it does get a little toasty if you are in the canyon areas during the summer time.

What I'm looking for, for purchase around 2nd half of 2009:

* At least 3 bedrooms, 2 baths

* At least 1 bed with full bath downstairs

* 2 car garage with full drive-way preferred (but not required)

* Side yard or backyard for medium sized dog, large ground-level patio might also do

* Detached preferred, but would accept attached w/side yard for newer construction

* Community with access to swimming pool (or one in backyard)

* Easy access to Irvine (for work)

Generally speaking, for new-ish homes I don't mind if it's attached, because the lumber is (hopefully) treated for termites. But for older properties, I'd prefer SFR, which gives me more options to tent & nuke the mites. I can accept a smaller house for minimalistic living. Home should not be located in middle of BFE or some fire/mud slide hazard zone.

Monopi,

If you new construction ( after 1999) is what you are looking for, I will recommend you to focus at the subdivision of Westridge. It is off Wood Canyon Drive, one block away from Pacific Park Drive. There is a park right in the subdivison called Westridge Park.

There are several tracks in Westridge:

a. Sky view

Those homes are 2500 sq ft or less. They are two tracks, older tracks are the among the first completed at westridge around 1999. The second track were completed around 2001. Track 2 were selling around under $400K in early 2000, around $750K in 2002.

b. Kensington - gated

Those homes are between 3000 to 3500 by richmond America homes, completed late 2000/early 2001. When the builder left the track, those homes were selling for $500K to $550K. Now they are priced around $1.2 million.

c. Silver Oak - gated

those homes were around 4000 sq ft - the largest at westridge, completed same period as kensington by Shea Homes. when the builder left the track, those homes were selling around $650. Now they are priced around $1.5 million.

d. Oakview - gated...

size between silver oak and kensington, by shea homes also, builder priced it around $550K to $600K. now they are selling at the same price as kensington around $1.2 million.

e. Canyon View estate - builder sold it as a non gated track. but hoa added the gate after the build left.

around 4000 sq ft, by shea homes also, the last track completed in kensington. They started to sell 2002 / 2003. Were priced between $700K to $850K. They are listed around $1.5 to $1.6 million.

f. another track, 1500 sq ft...single family..I forgot the name...they were selling around $300K...You will see those homes right before you reach oakview on your left size coming from the westridge park.

g. another town home track, right outside the gate of Kensington. They were selling around $300K. Don't know how much they are asking for. I think it is around $450 to $500K.

There is another track that were build in 2001/2002 frame. they are not in westridge. they are right across from the QLogic building on the hills above Aliso viejo parkway. They were attached town homes between 1200 to 1500 sq ft. they were selling for $225K plus. I nearly bought one as investment property, but I didn't follow through. I kick myself for that!! They are selling for

In the same area as the one I just mentioned, there is another track called Picked Lane. Those were single familys in the $300K. $1500 sq ft. You will easily see them due to the colorful nature of the exterior.

I still don't know why people think AV is hotter! In west ridge, it is for sure cooler!

Again, from Av to Irvine is a breeze by taking the new 133.

Comparing with irvine / Ladera, there is not as many parks. Also there is no community pool as I said before. however, they are building a pool right now.

Anyone have any thoughts on Pasadera at Glenwood? It's a new construction on the golf course in AV. The prices are around $850k - 950k for house between 2700 - 3100 sqft. The HOA is around $170/month with a ~1.7% property tax (including Mello Roos). I thought the floorplans were actually pretty nice (at least the plan 2).

<a href="http://www.sheahomes.com/main.cfm?dir=findahome&subsec=overview&temp=communityoverview&communityid=610" name="Pasadera at Glenwood - Shea Homes">www.sheahomes.com/main.cfm</a>

After watching the Irvine market for the last 6 months, I'm starting to wonder if I should consider this option, as opposed to continuing to look in Irvine.

I have been to the models. As usual, Shea did a good job on the floor plans. HOWEVER, the lots are tiiiiny. 3100 sq ft home sit on 4000 sq ft lots, though some of the lots face the golf course.

123 - Were you to Pasadera recently? Any idea what kind of incentives they are offering? I looked at the website, and was a bit underwhelmed with what these appear to offer at that price point. For instance, in that range something like Campanile or Madison or Lantana seems like a better deal --- not only because of the more central location, but none of those have a alley garage. I hate that. But maybe I am missing something from the pictures, have never been there. Maybe checking out Aliso Viejo is a good Sunday afternoon project.

CK, I dropped by the models probably couple months ago while driving right in front of the front entrance. I was just curious, so I didn't ask any questions in regards to incentive, discounts, etc. Most of the lots though small, they do have golf course view.

In regards to your comparision with Campanile, Madison, or Lantana: well, in my opinion, it is hard to compare. I think one has to decide which area to live first. If you are flexiable in terms of areas, it does become a very very hard decision. If you go look at Lantana's backyard most of them are 15 to 17 ft deep, they are about the same size as those new ones at AV. Price wise, they are similar, all in the 800 to 900 range. I think the overall tax is lower in AV.

If Irvine area location is most important, then you shouldn't look at AV. However, if privacy / not having a house behind you / not having your master bedroom window facing your neighbour's master bedroom window is more important to you, then AV is an excellent choice.

<p>Culturally, AV is far less diverse then Irvine, though a lot better than other South County cities. For some this is positive, while for some this negative. </p>

Thanks for the info on AV. Always really liked the homes and the views out there, but ruled it out because of commute. Recently found out, however, that my office is moving from South Coast Metro to the Spectrum late next year....That may open up a whole new world of opportunties. But my wife is pretty stuck on the Irvine schools and having 99 Ranch in the backyard, so it may require some negotiation if I am to pry her out of Irvine....

You would be set very nicely if you lived in that part of Aliso in terms of commute - very close to the 133, which you could take right next to the spectrum.

Back