Need help with tile size!

sunshine

Attention BK and other interior experts!

I am starting a mini remodel job on my house this week and I'm installing tile flooring in two bathrooms. Initially, I decided that I wanted 16x16 tiles, but a few family members convinced me that 16x16 was too large for the bathrooms. I switched to 12x12, purchased the tiles, but haven't picked them up yet. I'm meeting my contractor tomorrow to pick up the tile and purchase all of the remaining material for the job... and I'm second guessing my decision! I just don't want to regret getting the smaller tiles. My dad said that the bathrooms aren't big enough and there will be too many cuts. Another family member agreed. What are your thoughts? What would BK do? What would Brian Boitano do?

Here are the specs:

Bathroom 1: 80 sq. feet total, long rectangular-like shape (there are cuts and corners, but overall the basic shape is rectangular) with a water closet off one end.

Bathroom 2: 50 sq. feet total, average-sized rectangular hall bathroom.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

[quote author="Sunshine"]Attention BK and other interior experts!

I am starting a mini remodel job on my house this week and I'm installing tile flooring in two bathrooms. Initially, I decided that I wanted 16x16 tiles, but a few family members convinced me that 16x16 was too large for the bathrooms. I switched to 12x12, purchased the tiles, but haven't picked them up yet. I'm meeting my contractor tomorrow to pick up the tile and purchase all of the remaining material for the job... and I'm second guessing my decision! I just don't want to regret getting the smaller tiles. My dad said that the bathrooms aren't big enough and there will be too many cuts. Another family member agreed. What are your thoughts? What would BK do? What would Brian Boitano do?

Here are the specs:

Bathroom 1: 80 sq. feet total, long rectangular-like shape (there are cuts and corners, but overall the basic shape is rectangular) with a water closet off one end.

Thanks in advance for your opinions![/quote]
I'd go with 16x16 or 18x18 with a staggered or diamond pattern. 12x12 looks so standard and plain.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]
[quote author="Sunshine"]Attention BK and other interior experts!

Here are the specs:

Thanks in advance for your opinions![/quote]
I'd go with 16x16 or 18x18 with a staggered or diamond pattern. 12x12 looks so standard and plain. [/quote]

Thanks! I agree and needed confirmation.

If you do have to go with traditional grout size... do use a less-standard config like either diagonal, running bond (brick-like) or Versaille (the cobblestone pattern Wildcard on OCR mentioned).

With standard ceramic/porcelain tile, it's very hard to go small grout... which someone with more expertise can explain. With natural stone like travertine... you can go almost zero grout but then installation has to be precise in regards to leveling. You will notice difference in tile heights the smaller the grout line.

And when you choose the grout color... I think choosing one as close to the color of the tile is best... it makes the grout lines less noticeable.

(I copied this same response from OCR and it might be too little too late)

Sunshine,

The beauty of different tile sizes is to allow you to mix and match until you are able to pave the area without having to cut tiles. I am a purist. I will work out the pattern mathematically on paper and vary the joints to accomplish my no cut tile approach.

Large tiles in small spaces will result in cut tiles along one edge. It is important to place the cut edge along the obscured side of the room where you don't see first as you enter into the space.

Orthogonal grid layout is the most visually obvious to spot the imperfection.

Diamond layout hides the cut tiles better.

Running bond (like brick) works the best but may be odd in small spaces.

Grout less with tight joint is what higher end hotels use to deal with cut tiles. Real stones like travertine allow for a tight joint where as ceramic tiles with a pillow edge are very difficult to achieve this right look.

I personally like stone for bath room for this reason. If I have to choose a man made tile then I would choose the smaller hex tiles with rectangular tiles for border.

12" is more appropriate for small scale space vs 18".

Thanks IHO and BK!

BK: I did go back and read an IHB thread where you talked about using multiple sizes to avoid cuts, before I posted. It was very appealing to me, but I decided against it for this particular house. I'd love to do something like that in my forever home, whenever I get to move there! I bet your tile work and design is phenomenal!

1] I've similar question for experts here. We are picking tiles for our down stairs monterey
plan 3. We chose to pick big tiles because that is what is in the model home and it looks really good to us. so it is 20*20 porcelain. The issue is that they have it offset alternate rows in the model. The quote for offsetting is much higher that having them straight. Is there anything wrong about having straight without offset tiles. Is it all about looks at that point.

2] We also are upgrading carpets for stairs and entire upstairs. We want upgraded padding. In addition we got quote on 2 types of carpets. one with lesser thread but longer threads. which is cheaper than the carpet with denser threads. (but threads are shorter length). both are stain master variety.

Any thoughts or suggestion!!!

Thanks.

[quote author="Sunshine"]Thanks IHO and BK!

BK: I did go back and read an IHB thread where you talked about using multiple sizes to avoid cuts, before I posted. It was very appealing to me, but I decided against it for this particular house. I'd love to do something like that in my forever home, whenever I get to move there! I bet your tile work and design is phenomenal! [/quote]

[quote author="waitin4ever"]1] I've similar question for experts here. We are picking tiles for our down stairs monterey
plan 3. We chose to pick big tiles because that is what is in the model home and it looks really good to us. so it is 20*20 porcelain. The issue is that they have it offset alternate rows in the model. The quote for offsetting is much higher that having them straight. Is there anything wrong about having straight without offset tiles. Is it all about looks at that point.

2] We also are upgrading carpets for stairs and entire upstairs. We want upgraded padding. In addition we got quote on 2 types of carpets. one with lesser thread but longer threads. which is cheaper than the carpet with denser threads. (but threads are shorter length). both are stain master variety.

Any thoughts or suggestion!!!

Thanks.

[quote author="Sunshine"]Thanks IHO and BK!

BK: I did go back and read an IHB thread where you talked about using multiple sizes to avoid cuts, before I posted. It was very appealing to me, but I decided against it for this particular house. I'd love to do something like that in my forever home, whenever I get to move there! I bet your tile work and design is phenomenal! [/quote][/quote]
Honestly, the offset/staggered/diamond patterns look really nice but you'll never re-coup that in terms of resale value. It takes a little more work do to the offset/staggered/diamond pattern but not that much extra work. With those big tiles be sure to tell them that you want them to us 1/8" spacers and pick a grout color that is close to the color of the tile.

If any geeks are looking for the right tile, I suggest these  :D:

12700500462p9wJU9g8j_1_1_l.jpg

Back