Converting Den to Bedroom

irvinefan

Hi guys,

Just joined the forum--thanks to everyone who participates and provides such great info!

I was wondering if anyone knows how much it would cost to convert a den into a bedroom? Some of the plans I've seen have just an archway and I wonder how much it would cost to add a wall with door? There is no closet either, but I'm thinking of just adding a furniture piece for that.

Thanks!

I did this for my home and the builder charged about $500 for the door and $1000 for the closet. I just opted for the door since I plan on using it as an office anyway and the closet will take up space.

Depending on the width/height of the archway... this could be an easy DIY project.

I bet IPO could do it... he did it for the entry from his master to the bathroom... but he doesn't come by here any more.

I'm not sure you can equate builder costs with aftermarket costs... one may be cheaper or higher due to the stage of build.

Have you asked the builder if they provide that option?

If you are buying new and if the cost is minimal, I would suggest going with the builder.

A flat top door costs $18. To make a custom arch top door to fit into an existing arch opening, $2,800 for a door plus jambs.

Wow, I was thinking about doing the same thing. Luckily, the Den @ Montecito Plan 1 has a door installed. It's like a room, but not bedroom since it has no closet and no bathroom.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just FYI, most of the places we are considering are existing vs. new homes. One of the places is the Treo floor plan which has the den downstairs. It would be a tiny room, but would provide more privacy for, say, an in-law visit. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

the other thing is when you get the den, you don't get the full bath... hopefully you have a full bath to go with the existing den.

[quote author="akim997"]the other thing is when you get the den, you don't get the full bath... hopefully you have a full bath to go with the existing den.[/quote]
FCB style bath = sponge and bucket

Okay... I'm kidding but I did take a bath that way in a foreign country many years ago... they had problems with their pipes so there would be buckets of water in the bathrooms that you used for bathing and making the toilet flush... so weird.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]
[quote author="akim997"]the other thing is when you get the den, you don't get the full bath... hopefully you have a full bath to go with the existing den.[/quote]
FCB style bath = sponge and bucket

Okay... I'm kidding but I did take a bath that way in a foreign country many years ago... they had problems with their pipes so there would be buckets of water in the bathrooms that you used for bathing and making the toilet flush... so weird.[/quote]

Santa Ana west of the 55 fwy?

[quote author="zubs"]Ask USCtrojanmanns dad to do it. Or does he only do floors?[/quote]
Flooring is what he liked doing best, but hey knows how to do other stuff like drywall, baseboards, crown moldings, windows, paint, basic plumbing, and window coverings. He does stay away from electrically and landscaping.

Reviving a dead thread. Anyone have answers to the following questions:

1. How much is it, in 2017, to add a small closet to a den. I'm talking a corner closet, drywall'd and full integrated into the room.
2. Does it require a permit in Orange County?

Same goal as the OP...looking at converting a large office/den into a 'legit' bedroom for re-sale and eventual rental purposes.

best_potsticker_in_town said:
Reviving a dead thread. Anyone have answers to the following questions:

1. How much is it, in 2017, to add a small closet to a den. I'm talking a corner closet, drywall'd and full integrated into the room.
2. Does it require a permit in Orange County?

Same goal as the OP...looking at converting a large office/den into a 'legit' bedroom for re-sale and eventual rental purposes.

Yes, it requires a permit.

Most agents list dens as bedrooms in the listing so I don't think resale will matter that much.

As far as rental, you can just put wall wardrobes that give same space as a typical small closet. 

We had a bathroom added which needed 4 walls (shower/toilet separated from sinks) so more complicated than just 3 walls for a closet and the framing, drywall, and electrical rough cost us $3700.  It was part of a much larger job so I imagine 3 walls with a door would cost $3000-4000 tops.

Back