Getting Settled In...

roundcorners

In the five years we been married, the wife and I have moved eight times. I was counting while walking today, that included a move within the same complex in Tustin Ranch, where we only lasted a month, we (I) had to move everything back to the previous condo for storage for a month, while we waited for the new place to be prepared.

With each move, it's gets easier and easier. We figure out pretty quickly what we need and what we didn't. We gave away more and more of our junk; until we have just what we need. It's good to live simply and uncluttered.

With this last move to Woodbury; the entire move just took, one hours to unload. We were unpacked and comfortable within a week. Needless to say, we're a little more cluttered with baby stuff than our own stuff, but that was expected.

Besides the physical aspect of moving, how long does it take for you to feel at home? Emotionally and relationally. The new forum is a great example, feel at home yet? Where is the "bold" button, how do I create a hyper link?

A few people said it best, it's the people that make the forum, not the forum itself. Very true, I always emphasize that it's the relationships that make a house a home. We can live anywhere, just as long as our family is together and one.

There... all better... I'm all settled in...!

I felt right at home after the first night in my new place. Home is where I can collapse in the middle of the living room floor and stare at the ceiling for an hour while recovering from being overworked, with a stiff drink clutched in hand.

We otherwise were completely unpacked within 3 days, with everything finalized and frames on the walls within 10 days. My wife really cracked the whip. I never want to move again!

I'll be 28 soon and can count at least 23 moves in my life - so either I settle in right away, which is how I voted, or I never really have! <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

My spouse teases me for being utterly unsentimental when moving, and wants to play out the final Friends episode where everyone says goodbye and leaves their keys on the counter.

To tie it back in, "home" is more about the people than my surroundings. I don't hold any grudges about the old site, it was just time to move on.

Trip great point, follow up question, has anyone ever had to leave all their friends or their community behind? How long did it take to feel "connected" and part of something again?

I hope bltserv doesn't read this... if anyone is looking for a church after a move to Irvine... feel free to PM me or Socal... ^_^

Since we moved a lot, I would essentially have to make new friends every 1-2 years. Because of this (and probably other factors in my upbringing), I find it disturbingly too easy to leave people/places behind and "move-on". :-[

RC, I know from your previous posts that you are very active in your community - going far out of your way to know your neighbors and community staff. That is admirable and I would love that sense of community. The irony for me is that, though I am content renting and have tried to make it my motto that I'm living in the now, I always felt I would make these connections when I bought a home. Maybe it's just a delaying tactic.

Back