$250/sf in Mission Viejo Expensive???

gld42

We looked at a house in Mission Viejo, 1 mile away from I-5, between La Paz and Alicia Pkwy, price is around $250 /sf. We checked the recently sales, the price ranges from $200/sf--280/sf in that area. What do you think of the price? any comments are welcome.

Before we make an offer, we are in a stage of "confusing, worried, wanting the housing, lot of mixed feelings.

Depends on if you are considering SFD's or some of the zero lot line homes and condo's in the area. Also the retirement community of Casta Del Sol will skew the PSF numbers. There are great areas in that Alicia / La Paz area, plus a few junky neighborhoods as well. Any tracts or cross streets your focusing on?

It is a single family with a big lot. we are looking at El Dorado

[quote author="Soylent Green Is People"]Depends on if you are considering SFD's or some of the zero lot line homes and condo's in the area. Also the retirement community of Casta Del Sol will skew the PSF numbers. There are great areas in that Alicia / La Paz area, plus a few junky neighborhoods as well. Any tracts or cross streets your focusing on? [/quote]

[quote author="gld42"]It is a single family with a big lot. we are looking at El Dorado

[quote author="Soylent Green Is People"]Depends on if you are considering SFD's or some of the zero lot line homes and condo's in the area. Also the retirement community of Casta Del Sol will skew the PSF numbers. There are great areas in that Alicia / La Paz area, plus a few junky neighborhoods as well. Any tracts or cross streets your focusing on? [/quote][/quote]
I would take out the Short Sale closings as they can really throw things off to the downside. Also, you'll have to look at the comps very closely in terms of location, lot size, and if the homes are upgraded. $250/sf for an SFR isn't too bad. PM me the address and I can some MLS comps for you.

The El Dorado homes are in a reasonably good area. Most are original owners and the neighborhoods are beginning to turn over to newer, younger buyers. No HOA issues to deal with which also sometimes means there are cars on the street rather than in the garage where they're supposed to be. A few foreclosures here and there that have been flipped. If you have youn'uns I'd see where they are going to go to school. A couple of the close by elementary schools have been shut down due to low enrollment. The area middle school isn't much to talk about from what I've been told, but it's best to check with the neighbors to see what they say about the district choices.

Saw a nice unit on preview today. SS with an offer at the SS list price, but they are taking backups. The flat roofs might be a problem for some, but all in all a nice unit. I guess the Aegean Hills area has been "on sale" lately.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Mission-Viejo/25322-Justin-Ave-92691/home/4838985

One picture, taken in the rain. For 3% You'd expect more.

The owners spent their equity actually improving the back yard. Kind of a party house feel to it with BBQ, Pool, Fire Pit, Big Screen, and outdoor heaters under the trellis. It's supposed to be open this weekend.

Pretty cheap PSF. The Agents say the bank likely won't take a $535k offer but one never knows. At 250 PSF the net price is $643k. If you can split the difference with the bank all the better.

You are right, the Aegean hills is on sale lately, lot of SS are around $200-220 /sf, although Del Cerro Elementary School is rated at 9, the middle school is Los Alisos which is horrible.

[quote author="Soylent Green Is People"]Saw a nice unit on preview today. SS with an offer at the SS list price, but they are taking backups. The flat roofs might be a problem for some, but all in all a nice unit. I guess the Aegean Hills area has been "on sale" lately.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Mission-Viejo/25322-Justin-Ave-92691/home/4838985

One picture, taken in the rain. For 3% You'd expect more.

The owners spent their equity actually improving the back yard. Kind of a party house feel to it with BBQ, Pool, Fire Pit, Big Screen, and outdoor heaters under the trellis. It's supposed to be open this weekend.

Pretty cheap PSF. The Agents say the bank likely won't take a $535k offer but one never knows. At 250 PSF the net price is $643k. If you can split the difference with the bank all the better.
[/quote]

I had also heard that the middle school is wretched, but the "why?"question has never been addressed. Is it a 6-8 grade school or some mix like that?

too many mexicans there? ::)

[quote author="Soylent Green Is People"]I had also heard that the middle school is wretched, but the "why?"question has never been addressed. Is it a 6-8 grade school or some mix like that? [/quote]

Aye Caramba thats a raspy thing to say. There are quite a few gringo's who don't give a rats ass about their kids education standards as well. If there were a great deal of low rent homes or apartments around there I could see why there would be an issue.

Back