10 Reasons to Love Irvine

irvinehomeowner

I meant to post this earlier because this was in the back of that magazine they sent touting their 2010 Collection.

They have an online version of that page here:

http://trendmag2.trendoffset.com/display_article.php?id=263431

Here is the text:

10 Reasons to Love Irvine

1. Award-Winning Schools

Irvine schools are among the best in the nation. Seven IUSD schools were recently named California Distinguished Schools, the state's highest level of recognition for public schools. Irvine high schools also consistently rank in the top 10 in Orange County for producing the highest SAT scores.

2. Home to a Top-Ranked University

University of California, Irvine (UCI) was established in 1965. Over the past four decades UCI has become one of the most soughtafter universities for promising students and distinguished faculty. U.S. News & World Report's 2010 America's Best Colleges ranked UCI the 46th best university in the United States.

3. Irvine Has Superior Neighborhoods

"The villages create a sense of local identity," said Mike LeBlanc, senior vice president of entitlement at the Irvine Company. "They create a sense of pride and stewardship, and they are walkable."

4. Irvine Residents Can Work Where They Live

University Research Park?, Irvine Business Center and Irvine Spectrum? are major centers of job growth and revenue. Dozens of major corporations, including four Fortune 100 companies, call Irvine home.

5. Safest City

Irvine has been recognized by the Federal Bureau of Investigation as the nation's safest city of its size for an unprecedented fifth consecutive year.

6. An Abundance of Parks and Open Space

"The City of Irvine has more parks and open space per person than any other city in Orange County," said City Mayor Manager Sean Joyce.

7. Irvine Is a Master- Planned Community

The long-term vision behind the planning of the City of Irvine creates a quality of life designed to satisfy for generations to come.

The master plan ensures that everything is carefully thought out so that the architecture, educational system, retail opportunities, streets and landscape are exceptional and the overall look and feel of Irvine is impeccable.

8. Ideal Location

Irvine allows residents to live in their dream home often within walking distance of everyday amenities and services, including parks, schools, shopping, dining and entertainment. The premier location also offers work opportunities minutes from home and the ability to spend weekends at the beach or the mountains.

9. Sense of Community

The City of Irvine provides many opportunity for residents to gather together.

Whether it's a gallery opening at the Fine Arts Museum, a concert in the park or a seminar on recycling, Irvine strives to deliver the best recreational, educational and entertainment options for its residents.

10. Homes Designed for You

Extensive consumer research is the foundation for The 2010 New Home Collection, which offers innovative, unique and functional floorplans.
There was a similar list like this that was discussed "hotly" on the IHB and I thought this would be something to talk about again.

I'll buy some of the reasons but not all of them. First off, since when it is a positive to have a University in your town? Students can be a pain in the ass to residences and they cause increased traffic and congestion. Residents can live where they work? Ummm yeah maybe, if you can find someone who is hiring in Irvine because there aren't many companies doing that today. Ideal location? That is very subjective...many would say that being by the beach would be their ideal location. Sense of community? I don't think so, most everyone keeps to themselves from what I've seen. Huntington Beach and even Las Vegas had more friendly people. The last point made me laugh so hard I also spit up my Coke. Homes designed for you? Yeah, ok...I'm sure there were thousands of requests from people wanting tiny lots and motorcourts.

Having UCI nearby does help with a few things:

1. If you are just looking to invest in rental property investments, there is no shortage of renters (although the sale prices nowadays are hard to just break even on)

2. Parents who have mapped out their kids education from K to College... home 4 life!

3. Employment: UCI is actually a job center in itself as I know many people who have held stable jobs at UCI for years.

4. Property Value: Not too sure about this, but I remember reading somewhere that home values near universities tend to be more stable than other areas.

And yes... we all know the last one was last for a reason... it was TIC's spin to get you to buy.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Having UCI nearby does help with a few things:

2. Parents who have mapped out their kids education from K to College... home 4 life!
[/quote]

:-[

Irvine needs cemetery and pagoda shape tomb stones to complete the whole life cycle. I know this business will do very well.

TIC should price the plots at $375/Cubic Inch without mineral right.

My Reason: I can live in a great city and still go to all my Laker games. I can get home from Staples in 32 minutes... the guys in the Jack in the Box drive through on Irvine and Culver can't believe I got there that fast to claim my 2 free tacos!!!!

[quote author="akim997"]My Reason: I can live in a great city and still go to all my Laker games. I can get home from Staples in 32 minutes... the guys in the Jack in the Box drive through on Irvine and Culver can't believe I got there that fast to claim my 2 free tacos!!!![/quote]

They better find somebody to guard Billups tonight...

[quote author="akim997"]My Reason: I can live in a great city and still go to all my Laker games. I can get home from Staples in 32 minutes... the guys in the Jack in the Box drive through on Irvine and Culver can't believe I got there that fast to claim my 2 free tacos!!!![/quote]

ive been to about 6 laker games this year, it takes us about 45 minutes to get home, not far from irvine/culver. You must be going 90 mph. Im going to the game on the 16fh, since its business related ill be in one of the suites. Hopefully the warriors put a good fight that night.

[quote author="qwerty"]

ive been to about 6 laker games this year, it takes us about 45 minutes to get home, not far from irvine/culver. You must be going 90 mph. Im going to the game on the 16fh, since its business related ill be in one of the suites. Hopefully the warriors put a good fight that night.[/quote]

i'm probably the biggest GSW fan on this forum since I grew up in the Bay Area...go Dubs!

[quote author="bones"]
[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Having UCI nearby does help with a few things:

1. If you are just looking to invest in rental property investments, there is no shortage of renters (although the sale prices nowadays are hard to just break even on)

3. Employment: UCI is actually a job center in itself as I know many people who have held stable jobs at UCI for years.

4. Property Value: Not too sure about this, but I remember reading somewhere that home values near universities tend to be more stable than other areas.

And yes... we all know the last one was last for a reason... it was TIC's spin to get you to buy.[/quote]

A University also ensures that a lot of people who live in the area will be well-educated, ie professors and such. As for No. 2, I want to send my child out of the state so they know there is life outside of the OC, though those in-state tuitions will be hard to pass up.[/quote]

hah, you must be kidding.

very few people who work at UCI can afford to live in Irvine, outside of Uni Hills subsidized housing.

the average professor's salary is ~100k. the average staff salary is ~50k.

the only exception is the med, bus, and law faculty, and they are less than twice that.

[quote author="FreedomCM"]
[quote author="bones"]

A University also ensures that a lot of people who live in the area will be well-educated, ie professors and such. As for No. 2, I want to send my child out of the state so they know there is life outside of the OC, though those in-state tuitions will be hard to pass up.[/quote]

hah, you must be kidding.

very few people who work at UCI can afford to live in Irvine, outside of Uni Hills subsidized housing.

the average professor's salary is ~100k. the average staff salary is ~50k.

the only exception is the med, bus, and law faculty, and they are less than twice that.

[/quote]

So in that regard, Orange must be superior because Chapman pays a lot more and has some great profs. And Vernon Smith walks to work, so you know he lives there. And Doti lives in Villa Park... so just sayin...

Since I live 3 minutes from UCI medical school, Center, Hospital and research facility I think I live next to the smartest UCI personel such as surgeons, doctors, and researchers who make the highest salary of the entire UCI.

Many of the UCI hospital doctors are my neighbors too.

[quote author="graceomalley"]Since I live 3 minutes from UCI medical school, Center, Hospital and research facility I think I live next to the smartest UCI personel such as surgeons, doctors, and researchers who make the highest salary of the entire UCI.

Many of the UCI hospital doctors are my neighbors too. [/quote]

Makes it easier to treat the gunshot wounds quickly! <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

Those gunshots really help keep home prices affordable. My icicle gun shot however did not do just that. I confessed and turned in my icicle gun but IPD asked me to keep quiet since sheeple have forgotten about the suicide incident already.

[quote author="graceomalley"]Since I live 3 minutes from UCI medical school, Center, Hospital and research facility I think I live next to the smartest UCI personel such as surgeons, doctors, and researchers who make the highest salary of the entire UCI.

Many of the UCI hospital doctors are my neighbors too. [/quote]
So there you go... FP is to Santa Ana, what Irvine is to Orange County.

Bwah.

[quote author="traceimage"]"Irvine has SUPERIOR neighborhoods!" Love it![/quote]

superior cuz its really expensive and average people can't afford it or dont want to pay for the mello roos, hoa, etc. <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

How much do you think an UCI Medical Center doctor makes? True comparatively they make less compared to the Newport Beach doctors. I think their academic goal is noble and respected as an educator.

[quote author="bones"]
[quote author="graceomalley"]How much do you think an UCI Medical Center doctor makes? True comparatively they make less compared to the Newport Beach doctors. I think their academic goal is noble and respected as an educator.[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree, having been educated by a number of doctors who are both skilled physicians and great teachers.[/quote]

Orthopedic?

My neighbor is 82 years young. he runs a 10 k every morning 5am.

He was a MASH surgeon during the Korean War and an educator since 1958. He sits on the Board of St Joseph and UCI Medical Center.

He is a nice down to earth fellow still driving the same car he owned since the 1950's and lived in the same neighborhood for 50 years.

Back