Who is going...

irvinehomeowner

... to the 2010 New Home Collection Grand Opening at Woodbury and Woodbury East this weekend?

(the subject field had a character limit)

Although I don't want to because it will probably be a madhouse of FCBs (sort of like it has been the last 2 weeks) I really want to see some of these floorplans.

Although all these things are priced way above what I would like to spend (and they don't have 3-car garages), it's nice to see what design approach they took to the interiors. We all know the outside stucco-boxes are nothing that BK is going to rave about but after seeing Sonoma and Santa Cruz, I am feeling the "sheepleness" for these open kitchen/great room/cali room designs. They are perfect setups for entertaining and day-to-day family living.

So who else is planning a looksy this weekend?

aw c'mon. model home touring is fun.....You can pickup ideas for interior design.

I'd rather get a swift kick right in the (unmentionable) than be anywhere near Woodbury this weekend.

[quote author="ck"]I'd rather get a swift kick right in the (unmentionable) than be anywhere near Woodbury this weekend. [/quote]

Kick%20Butt%20ass%20swift%20kicking.gif

Consider It Done!

[quote author="zubs"]aw c'mon. model home touring is fun.....You can pickup ideas for interior design. [/quote]

Why would you need interior design? After buying one of these I will only have $9 left for just a door mat. May be I can steal one outside the model homes with the builders logo on it. My linen collection all will have a hot glue spot on it.

Then I realized the master bedroom comforter bed set is not really a queen size but a custom made size smaller than a queen but bigger than a full.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]... to the 2010 New Home Collection Grand Opening at Woodbury and Woodbury East this weekend?

Although I don't want to because it will probably be a madhouse of FCBs (sort of like it has been the last 2 weeks) I really want to see some of these floorplans.

Although all these things are priced way above what I would like to spend (and they don't have 3-car garages), it's nice to see what design approach they took to the interiors. We all know the outside stucco-boxes are nothing that BK is going to rave about but after seeing Sonoma and Santa Cruz, I am feeling the "sheepleness" for these open kitchen/great room/cali room designs. They are perfect setups for entertaining and day-to-day family living.

So who else is planning a looksy this weekend?[/quote]

I can guarantee you in ten years these great room plans will be outdated just like the outdated floor plans in El Camino, Deerfield, Woodbridge, and Westpark.

Stop being a sheeple by following trend. Can't you see the history and pattern of villages getting outdated quickly.

Turtle Rock and Woodbridge are both well received neighborhoods only because of the abundant natural landscape and its picturesque quality not regimented trees 25' apart in a straight line.

[quote author="graceomalley"]
[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]... to the 2010 New Home Collection Grand Opening at Woodbury and Woodbury East this weekend?

So who else is planning a looksy this weekend?[/quote]

I can guarantee you in ten years these great room plans will be outdated just like the outdated floor plans in El Camino, Deerfield, Woodbridge, and Westpark.

Stop being a sheeple by following trend. Can't you see the history and pattern of villages getting outdated quickly.

Turtle Rock and Woodbridge are both well received neighborhoods only because of the abundant natural landscape and its picturesque quality not regimented trees 25' apart in a straight line.[/quote]

Now, now... let's be nice. ;D I appreciate IHO's open mind and positive attitute about the building process and I am equally curious about the finished product. No sense finding negatives in negative situations. Find something positive and be positive. <!-- s:cool: -->:cool:<!-- s:cool: -->

Drew

I am one of the sheeple that will be slaughtered sometime around end of April. I think I will be there to get some "freebie" that I help paid for... <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

I live in Woodbury but I am planning on being out of town this weekend. It is going to be crazy around here with all the shuttle buses and looky-loos. Doesn't sound like they are going to have much freebies like in the past. I only saw a WE ad that said 'hot chocolate and cookies will be served". I'll just wait a couple of weekends before visiting the models. That way I can breathe as I am walking up the narrow one-way staircases without being trampled by the masses.

Actually... the staircases (at least the ones in Sonoma) aren't that narrow. Contrast that to the ones in Tustin Fields and some other places, I can actually fit down it while someone is coming up (if you've seen me, you can appreciate that width).

[/quote]
Haven't great rooms been around already for about 20 years? I think I recall some early 90 new builds with great rooms.

I'm sure it will fade out (if it hasn't already)... but that's how real estate is. Open kitchen, separate kitchen, open kitchen, wood floors, wall-to-wall carpet, tile floors, stone floors, laminate floors... blah blah blah.

That's LEADER of the sheeple to you.

Turtle Rock and Woodbridge are both well received neighborhoods only because of the abundant natural landscape and its picturesque quality not regimented trees 25' apart in a straight line.
Well... that's why I lust after Quail Hill, yearn for Laguna Crossing and I have grown to like Portola Springs. While there will probably be no more man-made lakes in Irvine... there are still some places where you can live in an elevated area.

And there are people who like that regimented type layout. Easier to not get lost.

[quote author="fe9000"]I am one of the sheeple that will be slaughtered sometime around end of April. I think I will be there to get some "freebie" that I help paid for... <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->[/quote]

Developer knows the value of your blood. Chinese love blood cube (red Tofu) delicacy with beef tripes. You will definitely be drained Halou style since your blood is worth $$.

I'll pass. This is going to be a fiasco and I don't want any part of it. If I'm unable to be in Woodbury (for the GTG or if I'm working) this weekend, I'll be thrilled. This just seems a little too ridiculous for me.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Cameray forwarded me a link that supports BK's opinion (and his disdain for frontal 3-car garages):

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/real_estate/0704/gallery.renovations.moneymag/index.html

While I can see the reasoning behind some of their points... I don't necessarily agree with them. Cost efficiency is a bit of a crock to me.[/quote]

These 10 points thanks to Cameray have confirmed my preaching. 2010 Collection has violated the good design principles for all of them. It has committed the sins of the 10 commandments.

Tasteful design solutions have modest and appropriate scale like the link IHO posted. Everything I have read and seen with the Collection are not only ostentatious but oversized on lots that can't really support them like IHO trying to cramp himself back into his high school prom tuxedo.

There is a huge difference between the design principles endorsed by Money magazines and the wanting of sheeple:
Old money aesthetic are for people who are confident of themselves and do not need to flaunter their wealth their homes are usually subtle and quietly hidden and blended into the surrounding while the new money or want to be rich crowd can't wait to impress and show off their premature wealth by their compact lot Styrofoam trimmed Mcmansions with token California porches facing the wrong solar direction and no driveway proclaiming that "I am rich enough to live here".

To really do it right wait until you are truly rich then buy that 2,800 sf house appropriately sized on a lot that is 5 times the house size and then landscape the ground to compliment the home.

Buying a 2,800 sf home on a 3,200 sf lot is so wrong in every level. Seeing sheeple lining up to the slaughter house absolutely blows my mind.

First do you really need all that room in a house? A 1,650 sf house when well designed could have accomplished the exact design program on a 3,200 sf lot. I guess the developer knows the extra 1,550sf unneccessary footage is worth a lot more money than just a lot premium for a 1,650 sf house.

Every house in the Collection is bagOChipped up artificially driving up inefficiency level to a "D" level.

[quote author="graceomalley"]Everything I have read and seen with the Collection are not only ostentatious but oversized on lots that can't really support them like IHO trying to cramp himself back into his high school prom tuxedo.
[/quote]
Exalted!

That's not my belly... that's my Great Room!

Tasteful design solutions have modest and appropriate scale like the link IHO posted. Everything I have read and seen with the Collection are not only ostentatious but oversized on lots that can't really support them like IHO trying to cramp himself back into his high school prom tuxedo.

[/quote]

LOL!

With regard to the house scale, I really agree. I live in a 1,667 sq ft SFR right now. Although postage sized compared to non-Irvine, the lot is 5,000 sq ft --- which is big by modern Irvine standards. BTW, it was built in 2001.

While most Woodbury-lovin folk here likely cringe at 1,667 sq ft --- you would not believe how many comments we get about how big it "feels". I recently had several former IHB hacks over for a football party. Many of them were like "wow, this feels so much more spacious than 1,700 sq ft". Of course it does --- there is a big grassy front yard, and a very open lower level which spills out onto a big patio and lots-o-grass and fruit trees in the back. It has a great flow. And my 3 person family never feels cramped in 1,667 sq ft --- and we routinely entertain 10+ people there. Usually half the people are in the backyard, half are standing around the island. And everyone fits just fine. I used to think I needed at least 2,500 sq ft....now I just realize that's more to keep clean. We are always outside, anyway.

Back