Need a recommendation for a house inspector

scubasteve

Okay, so as most of you know, I'm planning on buying Coronado, which is expected to be completed in the May time frame. I'm looking to bring my own inspector before they put the drywall up, at the final walk through, and about 10 months after I live in the house during the settlement period.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a TI-approved inspector? How much do you think this will cost? Thanks.

[quote author="scubasteve"]Okay, so as most of you know, I'm planning on buying Coronado, which is expected to be completed in the May time frame. I'm looking to bring my own inspector before they put the drywall up, at the final walk through, and about 10 months after I live in the house during the settlement period.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a TI-approved inspector? How much do you think this will cost? Thanks.

[/quote]

Yes, I do. His list price for an inspection for a just-completed home was previously $575. I don't know what his current pricing is. While it is more expensive than a standard resale inspection (around $350), it is more comprehensive. PM if you're still interested.

[quote author="scubasteve"]Okay, so as most of you know, I'm planning on buying Coronado, which is expected to be completed in the May time frame. I'm looking to bring my own inspector before they put the drywall up, at the final walk through, and about 10 months after I live in the house during the settlement period.

[/quote]
Here is the inspector that I recommend to my buyers and used by 3 of my buyers. He is BK recommended and approved (he does a lot of the Floral Park inspections):

Matt Henderson
Owner/Inspector
Summit Home Inspection
www.summithomeinspections.com
714-296-4423 phone
714-992-0729 fax

He changes anywhere from $350 to $500, depending upon the size of the home. Just tell him you got his number from Martin.

[quote author="scubasteve"]Thanks all! Greatly appreciated...Hopefully my KB home won't fall apart now =)[/quote]

KB formerly Kaufman and Broad had to change its name because their homes were so bad that Eli changed it to KB Homes. For several decades across the country KB buiilt crappy houses.

You must police every stage of the construction before components are being covered up by plywoods and drywalls. A single trip by the inspector would not catch the covered up defective construction. I suggest 7 trips at critical stages: Plumbing below foundation, Foundation, stick framing, electrical, waterproofing, drywall and finish works.

Photograph everything for future arbitration. In my entire career I have not seen a well crafted KB Homes yet and beware you may encounter hardship in the future resale because the the KB label.

[quote author="scubasteve"]Do any of these guys check their emails? I haven't gotten a response from and it's been about 4 days..[/quote]

Let me know about your experience. We're considering having a home inspector walk our home with us prior to the "Acceptance' from the builder.

IrvineRealtor said:
[quote author="scubasteve"]Okay, so as most of you know, I'm planning on buying Coronado, which is expected to be completed in the May time frame.  I'm looking to bring my own inspector before they put the drywall up, at the final walk through, and about 10 months after I live in the house during the settlement period.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a TI-approved inspector? How much do you think this will cost?  Thanks.

Yes, I do.  His list price for an inspection for a just-completed home was previously $575.  I don't know what his current pricing is.  While it is more expensive than a standard resale inspection (around $350), it is more comprehensive.  PM if you're still interested.
[/quote]
i just now PM'd u, wanted to know about the licensed home inspector to do the inspection. plz let me ASAP. thx.

octrends said:
IrvineRealtor said:
[quote author="scubasteve"]Okay, so as most of you know, I'm planning on buying Coronado, which is expected to be completed in the May time frame.  I'm looking to bring my own inspector before they put the drywall up, at the final walk through, and about 10 months after I live in the house during the settlement period.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a TI-approved inspector? How much do you think this will cost?  Thanks.

Yes, I do.  His list price for an inspection for a just-completed home was previously $575.  I don't know what his current pricing is.  While it is more expensive than a standard resale inspection (around $350), it is more comprehensive.  PM if you're still interested.
i just now PM'd u, wanted to know about the licensed home inspector to do the inspection. plz let me ASAP. thx.
[/quote]  Done.

hi all,
so do you guys recommend a step inspection? or just a final inspection?  seems like most people do one final inspection?is it really necessary to do 7 stages?

readytobuy said:
hi all,
so do you guys recommend a step inspection? or just a final inspection?  seems like most people do one final inspection?is it really necessary to do 7 stages?

7 stages???

I would think 2 stages would be enough.  One before drywall goes up and one final.

Maybe a 3rd one around the 11th month after move in. Just to check if ssettling in was fine and document
things to be done before the 1 year warranty runs out.

Irvine2Irvine said:
readytobuy said:
hi all,

7 stages???

I would think 2 stages would be enough.  One before drywall goes up and one final.

thats what graceomalley was saying. I was talking to an inspector and he said one before the dry wall goes up and final as well. Thanks

Irvine2Irvine said:
readytobuy said:
hi all,

7 stages???

well what is the warranty on less than 1 year? fit and finish? what exactly does that mean....and would you do another inspection right before every warranty expires ? :)

waitin4ever said:
Maybe a 3rd one around the 11th month after move in. Just to check if ssettling in was fine and document

Irvine2Irvine said:
readytobuy said:
hi all,

7 stages???

waitin4ever said:

Irvine2Irvine said:
readytobuy said:
hi all,

7 stages???

Basically sometimes as the the foundation etc settles in there could be some cracks etc. some of it is normal and some may not be.
Also if there were any minor leaks
in the air conditioning etc in the attic or roofing etc they might show up more around 9-10 month timeframe. Something that may not be visible or obvious when the home is brand new. Atleast that is what i had heard, don't remember where!!!

readytobuy said:
well what is the warranty on less than 1 year? fit and finish? what exactly does that mean....and would you do another inspection right before every warranty expires ? :)

waitin4ever said:

Irvine2Irvine said:
readytobuy said:
hi all,

7 stages???

waitin4ever said:

Irvine2Irvine said:
readytobuy said:
hi all,

7 stages???

okay great, thanks!  i will keep that in mind ...and hopefully they find something to fix that's more than the inspector's costs..

waitin4ever said:
Basically sometimes as the the foundation etc settles in there could be some cracks etc. some of it is normal and some may not be.
Also if there were any minor leaks
in the air conditioning etc in the attic or roofing etc they might show up more around 9-10 month timeframe. Something that may not be visible or obvious when the home is brand new. Atleast that is what i had heard, don't remember where!!!

Back