What distance is a "safe" distance from a highway?

yaliu07 said:
Hi guys.  We saw a house in Walnut this weekend.  However, it is only 1000 feet from 5 freeway.  We are concern about population.  Do you guys have any advice?

Thanks

I found this article and "safe" distance is 1.5 miles.http://www.newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/air-pollution-from-freeway-extends-93857.aspx

I would pass on the house if you have a choice. There are many different studies that show that living by a freeway is not healthy. Plus you have to consider the noise from the freeway.

Environmental health researchers from UCLA, the University of Southern California and the California Air Resources Board have found that during the hours before sunrise, freeway air pollution extends much further than previously thought.

Air pollutants from Interstate 10 in Santa Monica extend as far as 2,500 meters ? more than 1.5 miles ? downwind, based on recent measurements from a research team headed by Dr. Arthur Winer, a professor of environmental health sciences at the UCLA School of Public Health. This distance is 10 times greater than previously measured daytime pollutant impacts from roadways and has significant exposure implications, since most people are in their homes during the hours before sunrise and outdoor pollutants penetrate into indoor environments.
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/air-pollution-from-freeway-extends-93857.aspx

It depends how paranoid you are about these studies. Obviously all the people who live there now and own there didn't think much of it or didn't bother to google it.

If you can't hear the freeway while you're in the house I think it's okay.  But it really depends on personal preference.

It's like studies come out that says cell phone use can cancer. People either choose to ignore such studies or believe in them.

IMO, do not buy a home so close to the freeway. Noise and air pollution are too much of a factor. You may get a good price now but when it comes to resale, you will be passing that freeway discount to the next owner.

abosch00 said:
It depends how paranoid you are about these studies. Obviously all the people who live there now and own there didn't think much of it or didn't bother to google it.

If you can't hear the freeway while you're in the house I think it's okay.  But it really depends on personal preference.

It's like studies come out that says cell phone use can cancer. People either choose to ignore such studies or believe in them.

I agree with you that studies are often flawed but I usually consider the source.  UCLA is pretty darn reputable.  The question then falls to how much affect those particles have on individuals.  A similar debate is being held as to those beach fire pits. 

I would say that it's a factor and all thing equal, I would pick the house not close to the freeway.  If all things not equal, each individual decides on how much of a factor it is.  We live in new construction now and I'm pretty sure the air is pretty bad.

BTW...there are no legitimate studies linking cancer with cell phone:
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cellphones

If you take 1.5 miles to the left and right side of 5 FWY and 405 FWY, the majority of Irvine will fall within that range.... 

The noise from a freeway or major street is a dealbreaker for me.  I like to entertain in the backyard and road noise would drive me up the wall.  Also, road noise at night when you wanna sleep with the windows open would be equally annoying.

I think the sound thing is a good barometer... although there are some places in Irvine where you can hear the freeway pretty far out (since Irvine is pretty flat).

So is this an anti-Cypress Village thread? :)

irvinehomeowner said:
I think the sound thing is a good barometer... although there are some places in Irvine where you can hear the freeway pretty far out (since Irvine is pretty flat).

Just think of the freeway noise as ocean waves  :)

abosch00 said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Just think of the freeway noise as ocean waves  :)

That's funny. It's like hope for the hopeless.

I guess if you can't hear the fwy, you are prob far enough.....

Personally, I would never buy a house that's within 1000ft of a major fwy.  There was a study done, showing 500ft is the danger zone.  After 500ft, dust/air pollution is not very measurable....

Used to live right next to Alton, very far from any freeway. Traffic wasn't a problem it was the sirens. But that's something a lot of people won't notice when buying.

Could be worse, you could be looking at that little tract in Woodbury between Sand Canyon and the 133.

Back