Talk Irvine software upgrade

admin

Administrator
I just upgraded the site to the latest version of the forum software.  In the process I simplified things and removed some modifications so that upgrading in the future will be easier.  Please let me know if you run into any issues and I'll work on fixing them.

Main changes that are visible:
- Logo is smaller
- Feeds in sidebar on main page have been removed
- Updated thank you plugin has text that needs to be rewritten

What does this new button do: "Hide enclosed from Suspicious Visitors"

Not sure what it does but it sounds cool--maybe a new anti-NSA function.

iacrenter said:
What does this new button do: "Hide enclosed from Suspicious Visitors"

Not sure what it does but it sounds cool--maybe a new anti-NSA function.

It was part of an anti-spam modification I installed yesterday.  Thanks for letting me know about that button.  I didn't realize it was added and have removed it now.

Tyler Durden said:
I am using Firefox on a mac, so maybe its me...but:

it seems that entering a reply or post does not automatically wrap the text as you are typing.  It seems to run off the right side of the screen.

Is that a problem with this browser type or is there a limit that can specify the max width of the screen?

*Additionally, the button to add Youtube links is no longer visible.

YouTube - Nothing special is needed anymore.  If you put a YouTube URL in your post, it will automatically display the video :D

Wrapping Text - Hmm.. I just tested on Firefox, Chrome, and Safari on my Mac and all three wrapped when I was responding to a post.  Let me know if you have any other ideas on how I can replicate it.  I will try on my work Mac tomorrow.

zovall said:
YouTube - Nothing special is needed anymore.  If you put a YouTube URL in your post, it will automatically display the video :D
Nice.

Now you just need to add an feature that auto-deletes a post after 1 day for PatStar to come back. :)

I'm not aware if there is a mod for tags/hashtags. 
I wasn't able to reproduce that nonwrapping issue in Firefox on my work machine either.

The site will remain self-moderated for now.  I've tried a few moderation methods over the last 5-6 years and this model allows me to not have to actively monitor the site.  The dynamic has changed over the years and I understand the drawbacks of the current model so I may revisit this in the future. 

admin said:
I'm not aware if there is a mod for tags/hashtags. 
I wasn't able to reproduce that nonwrapping issue in Firefox on my work machine either.

The site will remain self-moderated for now.  I've tried a few moderation methods over the last 5-6 years and this model allows me to not have to actively monitor the site.  The dynamic has changed over the years and I understand the drawbacks of the current model so I may revisit this in the future.
Zovall,
Thanks for the reply to my question.  I know it's difficult to moderate a BB without active participation of forum members.  TI seems to be picking up steam lately.  If I had to pick someone to moderate besides you, it would be IHO.

Any type of ownership or responsibility colors my participation here.

I would rather be just a member like everyone else as it keeps things non preferential. There will naturally be support for more senior or active members, but as many have proven, no one is above being challenged or questioned... no matter how many posts they have.

And I do like the societal moderation in place here. I also vote for not allowing deletion of posts and just letting members report offending material and let the admin get to them when he/she can.

Back