A/C doesn't get that cold

dealcatcher

The A/C downstairs doesn't get that cold. It only drops one degree every hour or two and can't seem to make the temperature lower than 77 degrees. What do you think is wrong? My thermostat upstairs works just fine.

I have the exactly same problem.
It was fixed few months ago, but it's doing again.
I think IP contracted AC service guy is hiding major problem intentionally until warranty runs out.
Either that the service guy is just stupid idiot.

Get one of those laser infrared temperature guns and check the vents downstairs.  If some are cold and some hot, it could be the ductwork too.

1) Yes, it was just replaced 40 days ago (filter says recommended replacement after 90 days)
2) Yes, it's in the right direction because the metal frame was on the inner side of the filter (which is what keeps cotton filter from getting sucked into the intake)
3) Yes, it's moving air
4) The air is cold, but I guess not cold enough. For some reason overall temperature doesn't drop much (room feels warm still after being on for hours)
5) Yes, the thermostat is working properly because the room's temp feels hot

The air conditioning unit is new as the house was just built 4 months ago. How often does a unit need coolant added?

Tyler Durden said:
Couple of basic questions:

1. Have you checked or replaced your filter recently?
2. Are you sure the filter is in the right direction (these have arrows pointing which way they are supposed to go in)?
3. Is it moving air ?
4. Or is the air just not cold?
5. Have you validated that the thermostat is functioning properly?  Does it get cold when you put it on 55 degrees?

Assuming the thermostat works:
If it is moving air but its not cold, you might need some coolant.  If its not moving air, it might be a mechanical problem.

ps9 said:
Get one of those laser infrared temperature guns and check the vents downstairs.  If some are cold and some hot, it could be the ductwork too.
  +1

Does the home have a single AC unit or dual?

3 main troubleshooting branches, 2 already mentioned: 
Air is not cold enough (how cold is the vent compared to upstairs?). 
Air does not flow enough (how strong is the airflow from the vents and how many cubic feet per vent compared to upstairs?). 
Too much heat entry into the living space--longshot (how much wall area exposed to the sun/ambient air, how many windows, what energy efficiency, what other possible heat source compared to upstairs?).

If the house is that new, has the AC ever worked right?  If the house has a single unit and the upstairs is cool enough, then barring poor HVAC design, the ducting may not be routed correctly, it may not be sealed correctly or the damper may not be functioning properly (and make sure the registers are open!).

Back