Alternative Medicine Pediatrician?

IrvineHousewife

I'm expecting my first born and my husband and I are not interested in vaccinations. We've had a really difficult time finding a pediatrician in Irvine that even slightly leans towards natural healing. Does anyone know of any good pediatricians that are more alternative and possibly use homeopathy in lieu of meds? Thanks for any tips!

IrvineHousewife said:
I'm expecting my first born and my husband and I are not interested in vaccinations.

Not to attack you but really no.  I am sure you are a very nice person but this is a really terrible choice IMO.

IrvineHousewife said:
I'm expecting my first born and my husband and I are not interested in vaccinations. We've had a really difficult time finding a pediatrician in Irvine that even slightly leans towards natural healing. Does anyone know of any good pediatricians that are more alternative and possibly use homeopathy in lieu of meds? Thanks for any tips!

Welcome to TI!

IMO, you are ignoring one of the 20th centuries best public health advances. Besides clean water, vaccines have saved countless lives around the world and significantly reduced needless suffering from childhood disease.

This trend among US parents to shun vaccines has been a real public health issue in the last decade. It has been responsible for unnecessary outbreaks of measles and bacterial meningitis cases in children.

Obviously all of you are happy to drink big pharma's koolaid because you're very ill informed. If you'd like to actually read and educate yourselves then I'd be happy to debate.

Not looking for an asinine lecture, just a recommendation.

IrvineHousewife said:
Obviously all of you are happy to drink big pharma's koolaid because you're very ill informed. If you'd like to actually read and educate yourselves then I'd be happy to debate.

Don't tell me about asinine. Go to tell the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians, CDC, and WHO to name just a few...
http://www2.aap.org/immunization/families/whyimmunize.html
http://www.aafp.org/patient-care/clinical-recommendations/all/immunizations.html
http://www.cdc.gov/features/reasonstovaccinate/index.html
http://www.who.int/immunization/documents/positionpapers/en/index.html

I guess if you find an Alternative medicine doctor they will not make you sign this form. But you should read it.
http://www2.aap.org/immunization/pediatricians/pdf/refusaltovaccinate.pdf

IrvineHousewife said:

I would love to have a debate about this.  Aside from all the medical, historical, and sociological evidence that vaccine is one of the greatest thing in human history, the economics do not make sense for "Big Pharma" to promote vaccines.  Vaccines are extremely cheap and often made by generic drug makers (as the patents have expired).  It would make significantly more sense for "Big Pharma" to promote drugs that treat diseases rather than prevent them in the first place.

The biggest and most profitable drugs are for things like heart disease and cancer...vaccines preventing heart disease and cancer would severely cut into "big pharma's" profits.

Guys,
I don't think the OP came here to get flamed on her (incorrect) opinion regarding vaccinations.  She's obviously already made up her mind.  She's asking for recs for pediatricians who will forego vaccinations.  To the OP, your best bet is to call each office to see what their individual policies are regarding this issue. 

I find it weird that everybody acts surprised she's asking. I was part of a pregnancy & parenting forum for a long time before this site and have seen / heard it all. A lot of parents nowadays are forgoing vaccinations. It's not an uncommon thing. Well, maybe not in Irvine. Maybe that's why the surprise. Just a guess. Or perhaps because it's raining men here on TI. Not many of you have been pregnant. :p

IrvineHouseWife, I've only gone to regular pediatricians and family doctors, however I don't think it's impossible to find one who has other patients who choose not to vaccinate. Perhaps that would be an easier route than finding a homeopathic pediatrician?? I remember having this talk with our Ped when my first was born. He was well aware of "Herd Immunity" offering a certain amount of protection for the non-vaccinated or so he said. (Isn't herd immunity one of the major points the all-nat parents make? I think so.) I decided to have them vaccinated, though, so unfortunately I won't be of much help. I don't know - maybe bring it up with a regular pediatrician?? Good luck.

SoCal said:
I find it weird that everybody acts surprised she's asking. I was part of a pregnancy & parenting forum for a long time before this site and have seen / heard it all. A lot of parents nowadays are forgoing vaccinations. It's not an uncommon thing. Well, maybe not in Irvine. Maybe that's why the surprise. Just a guess. Or perhaps because it's raining men here on TI. Not many of you have been pregnant. :p

Not surprised...extremely disappointed and sadden.

As for herd immunity, it is supposed to protect those who are too young or cannot vaccinate.  People who chooses not to vaccinate threaten such protection and essentially leach off of others. 

the proportion of immune individuals in a population above which a disease may no longer persist is the herd immunity threshold. Its value varies with the virulence of the disease, the efficacy of the vaccine, and the contact parameter for the population.[3] No vaccine offers complete protection, but the spread of disease from person to person is much higher in those who remain unvaccinated. It is the general aim of those involved in public health to establish herd immunity in most populations. Complications arise when widespread vaccination is not possible or when vaccines are rejected by a part of the population. As of 2009, herd immunity is compromised in some areas for some vaccine-preventable diseases, including pertussis and measles and mumps, in part because of parental refusal of vaccination.

It is not a surprise that whooping cough came back when people started stop vaccinating their children.
http://us.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/20/california.whooping.cough/index.html

Oh, also, I found this interesting - maybe it's a cultural thing:

When I took my boy for his annual well-child visit a few months ago, the doctor said no vaccinations were needed for a few more years. So, I was like, "Yay! No shots today!" and he was all happy.

The doctor, who is Asian and works in Woodbury Town Center, said most of her clients are Chinese and will ASK for shots for everything! She said the Chinese just LOVE shots! She said when she prescribes an elixir, a Chinese patient will usually ask if they can get a shot instead! Wow! Much different from us Americans! If there are any Chinese reading this about the vaccinations, that could definitely be why the reaction is different.

SoCal said:

When I took my boy for his annual well-child visit a few months ago, the doctor said no vaccinations were needed for a few more years. So, I was like, "Yay! No shots today!" and he was all happy.

The doctor, who is Asian and works in Woodbury Town Center, said most of her clients are Chinese and will ASK for shots for everything! She said the Chinese just LOVE shots! She said when she prescribes an elixir, a Chinese patient will usually ask if they can get a shot instead! Wow! Much different from us Americans! If there are any Chinese reading this about the vaccinations, that could definitely be why the reaction is different.

Yes...a lot of Asians believe in panaceas...it is also bad thing.  Asians (overseas generally) take antibiotics like candy and demand that the doctor proscribe medication no matter what. 

SoCal said:

That is the other danger about not vaccinating. You assume herd immunity but in a city like Irvine that could be a fatal mistake. There is a significant percentage of adults and children who are coming from abroad and could easily bring communicable diseases endemic to their country.

Vaccinate or not.. it's your choice.. free country.. but I always wonder.. if your unvaccinated kid comes down with measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis, diptheria... what do you do then?  Go to big pharma hospital and seek treatment?  Or pray?  Or take herbs?  Acupuncture?  Chiro? 

Herd immunity has been shredded.  Statewide, only 90% of kindergarteners are up to date on their vacs.  Many schools report 1/3rd or more are not.

And, it's the more affluent sections that are forgoing the vaccinations.

Hint, if a third of you school isn't vaccinated, that's a huge exposure and as previously noted,  a huge reason why whooping cough has come roaring back.

The LA Times had a recent opinion peace,http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...nd-vaccination-rates-20130811,0,3743127.story

Irvinehousewife let us know what you find.  I know when we were talking with Pediatricians and brought up vaccinations, we got severely lectured by multiple ones before we could even explain that we were fine with vaccination, just didn't want the multi-group cocktails and the compressed timeline opting for an alternative more spreadout timeline.

Vaccinate or not.. it's your choice.. free country.. but I always wonder.. if your unvaccinated kid comes down with measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis, diptheria... what do you do then?  Go to big pharma hospital and seek treatment?  Or pray?  Or take herbs?  Acupuncture?  Chiro?

Good question. The instances of all of these diseases/illnesses are EXTREMELY low. However, there is obviously always a possibility of catching something. If so, I would absolutely take my child to be treated in the best way possible. Whether that be alternative medicine, naturopathy or western medicine I'm open to all. Prayer would be out...we're atheists. (Another view I'm sure some will love to attack)

I'm not against western medicine in its entirety by any means. I'm against preventative measures like injecting aluminum, formaldehyde, animal tissues, mercury, etc. into my child on the minute chance of her catching something. Crazy, right? If you ask people in their 60's and up most of them had or knew someone who had mumps or measles, etc. and guess what? They are totally fine.

FYI- I've found three pediatricians in Irvine who take all children. They vaccinate those that want it and forgo it for the rest of us. They are evolved, progressive and take all PPO insurances. There's absolutely NO RESTRICTIONS on schooling either. Yes in January you will have to go through bureaucratic red tape and see a doctor who "advises" you on why you should vaccinate (how is this not one world order?) and then we get a slip of paper and off to school she goes. However will you vaccinating Nazi's sleep at night now?!

Back