A quick update

momopi

I've been asked to assist in food tasting for my friend's wedding reception. So far we've been to 3 Chinese seafood restaurants with banquet halls. Today we're going to Furiwa in Garden Grove:
http://www.furiwa.com

I'll try to compile some kind of report later.

Last night, we went to (correction) China Feast in Stanton:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/china-feast-stanton

I wasn't overly impressed with the food, and thought they sliced the peaking duck wrong and didn't even serve with green onions. BUT the restaurant's bathroom gets an A+ from me. This is probably THE CLEANEST and nicely spacious bathroom I've been to in any Chinese restaurant over the past 12 months.

Here's a few thoughts about the food at Furiwa:

They cook their duck in sauce and cover it with veggies. Interesting and not bad tasting when hot, but rubbery when cold. I'd suggest the Peking duck version.

Scallops: the way they cook scallops is a crime here. They take 2 perfectly good scallops and dip it together in batter and fry it. No flavor what so ever.

Lobster: standard Cantonese style with over-powering seasoning

Fish: they actually fried the fish filet and covered the top with sour sauce and hot peppers. Personally, I thought it tasted pretty good, but not suitable for a banquet (should be steamed whole fish).

Fried rice: ugh, they can't make fried rice.

The facility was quite nice however. The bathrooms are OK but next to ugly storage area.

We had Furiwa cater our wedding at another venue years ago. Everyone, including us, loved the food. Ken was great to work with and very professional.

don't know about furiwa, had some spoiled beef tripe (ginger/scallion) for dim sum there once. spoiled beef tripe is not fun.

The decision was made to go with Furiwa. I have some reservations about the place but the couple decided, and we agreed to skip on the duck there.

I have a large backlog of restaurant photos that I need to post... been busy because my god-daughter was in Choc for acute asthma. One week in ICU was $94,000 (!), thank goodness for health insurance!

I knew Furiwa was mentioned here somewhere.

We ate here for moms day... The Boiling Crab had over a 2-hour wait.

It was okay, we liked the dim sum carts that were rolling around so we could get appetizers before the ordered food arrived.

And yes... bathrooms next to the storage was weird.

Back