400 buyers waiting for new homes

Say this is fluff... and maybe the number is more like 200... that is still remarkable in this economy.

(but graph won't think so)

Remind me again how many new homes there are to go around? I'm sure the number is here somewhere but I don't see it off-hand.

I'm somewhat surprised that out of 1000+ people who pre-registered, only 400 are pre-qualified. I'm sure most of the 400 selected two tract choices when they pre-registered, so does the 400 number count those who pre-qualified in more than one community as one or two people?

700 homes for 400 people equals 300 excess homes. If only 400 people were qualified of a list that by now would hopefully be over 2000, then it still sucks. It is fluff, these numbers are gawd awful. It sounds good in this economy because something is better than nothing. But from a historical perspective --- and how Dan Young is well known for his spin --- then these numbers are truly terrible.

Actually... the number is supposed to be higher, 1000 was in the first week after pre-reg.

And I don't think they mean only 400 have pre-qual'ed... I think 400 *so far* have.

As for number of homes to go around, according to the article, it says 700, which jives with the them saying that 400 buyers accounts for almost 2/3s of the available homes.

But don't worry... there are thousands of new homes that are going to be available in the next 5 years in Irvine... at what prices is the question.

EDIT: I got post-fu'ed by graph... my response was to Kayo and then SoCal. You're such a NegNelly... are these numbers terrible from a top or bottom perspective? I remember when Harvard Square and Oak Creek first opened... I don't recall this type of frenzy (and that was at the bottom of the last cycle).

You say frenzy, I say spin. The amount of people interested and qualified for this project is about the same as Oak Creek/Harvard Square. The only difference you have is Dan Young spinning this like it is a big deal. Guess what? It is working, and working so well he has got smart people like you fooled.

400 qualified people does not equal 400 buyers, at best that means 200 buyers, and they would be really happy if that were the case. So that means 500 excess homes, and maybe more. I don't get excited about the numbers, because I understand the numbers, and I understand that TIC and Danny boy are spinning these numbers at such a high velocity that fools you all to think they are big numbers when they are lousy.

Um... I'm not basing my remarks on what Dan said... I'm basing it on what I experienced. Remember I've been trolling Woodbury these last 3 weeks.

I find it amazing in this economy, with the lack of liar loan financing (well.. you still have FHA) and the lack of employment, that people are still willing to pre-register before they even see the final pricing and actual models... and buy at over $325 per sft with HUGE cash down payments.

Where else do you see that? C'mon spider monkey... you have to admit that's a frenzy... it may be a stupid one... but it's quite a sight.

I do agree that once the early-FCBers are exhausted... that there will be a slowdown and we will find the 2010 Collection calming down like the current new projects in Irvine... but that also depends on the pricing. I thought VOC would take forever to sell through but it looks like they are almost done in all areas. Where are these buyers coming from?

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Um... I'm not basing my remarks on what Dan said... I'm basing it on what I experienced. Remember I've been trolling Woodbury these last 3 weeks.

I find it amazing in this economy, with the lack of liar loan financing (well.. you still have FHA) and the lack of employment, that people are still willing to pre-register before they even see the final pricing and actual models... and buy at over $325 per sft with HUGE cash down payments.

Where else do you see that? C'mon spider monkey... you have to admit that's a frenzy... it may be a stupid one... but it's quite a sight.

I do agree that once the early-FCBers are exhausted... that there will be a slowdown and we will find the 2010 Collection calming down like the current new projects in Irvine... but that also depends on the pricing. I thought VOC would take forever to sell through but it looks like they are almost done in all areas. Where are these buyers coming from?[/quote]
Most of those buyers are Asian. The fact remains that TIC was able to sell out Phase 1 of the home releases VERY quickly...I mean if buyers registering 2 minutes after it opened and came in 20th on the list should indicate the current strong demand. I can't predict what the real estate market will look like in 6+ months (if I did I'd be rich), but if inventory levels stay under 3-4 months of supply in Irvine and the economy doesn't take a huge crap those new Woodbury homes will all be sold out (sure, there will be a few of the crappy floor plans and lots that will take a little longer to sell).

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]Most of those buyers are Asian. The fact remains that TIC was able to sell out Phase 1 of the home releases VERY quickly...I mean if buyers registering 2 minutes after it opened and came in 20th on the list should indicate the current strong demand. I can't predict what the real estate market will look like in 6+ months (if I did I'd be rich), but if inventory levels stay under 3-4 months of supply in Irvine and the economy doesn't take a huge crap those new Woodbury homes will all be sold out (sure, there will be a few of the crappy floor plans and lots that will take a little longer to sell).[/quote]

Ugh, I see that you only read the posts where I bag on you. If someone got number 20 on the list that is the same as being number 1. Let me repeat, the first 10-30 people on the list work for the builder, the subs, the developer, the lender, etc., and all you are doing by posting these stats that you fail to truly understand, only perpetuate the myths. Spin spin spin, spoken like a true SALES agent.

[quote author="graphrix"]
[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]Most of those buyers are Asian. The fact remains that TIC was able to sell out Phase 1 of the home releases VERY quickly...I mean if buyers registering 2 minutes after it opened and came in 20th on the list should indicate the current strong demand. I can't predict what the real estate market will look like in 6+ months (if I did I'd be rich), but if inventory levels stay under 3-4 months of supply in Irvine and the economy doesn't take a huge crap those new Woodbury homes will all be sold out (sure, there will be a few of the crappy floor plans and lots that will take a little longer to sell).[/quote]

Ugh, I see that you only read the posts where I bag on you. If someone got number 20 on the list that is the same as being number 1. Let me repeat, the first 10-30 people on the list work for the builder, the subs, the developer, the lender, etc., and all you are doing by posting these stats that you fail to truly understand, only perpetuate the myths. Spin spin spin, spoken like a true SALES agent. [/quote]
How am I spinning things when both of my buyers who registered at around 10:02 were 15-20 on the list? I know what I see with my eyes when I go to new Irvine listings with my buyers and when I look on my MLS. I also see what things are closing for and then how much the buyers put down. When a flipper who buys a 2,500sf home in NW Pointe for almost $800k can turn around and flip it for almost $950k that should tell you the demand is alive and well.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]How am I spinning things when both of my buyers who registered at around 10:02 were 15-20 on the list? I know what I see with my eyes when I go to new Irvine listings with my buyers and when I look on my MLS. I also see what things are closing for and then how much the buyers put down. When a flipper who buys a 2,500sf home in NW Pointe for almost $800k can turn around and flip it for almost $950k that should tell you the demand is alive and well. [/quote]

I see you still didn't read my post spinmeister. #20 on an interest list = #1. They were not 15-20. Have you ever seen an interest from a builder? If you have, then you know that the top people ARE NOT REAL BUYERS!

Plus, for a CPA, you are bad at math. 400 possible buyers (more like 200) for 700 homes equals 300 excess homes. Plus all the other villages. THE DEMAND IS NOT THERE! Resale homes are not the same as new homes. Keep the spin going.

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]

Ugh, I see that you only read the posts where I bag on you. If someone got number 20 on the list that is the same as being number 1. Let me repeat, the first 10-30 people on the list work for the builder, the subs, the developer, the lender, etc., and all you are doing by posting these stats that you fail to truly understand, only perpetuate the myths. Spin spin spin, spoken like a true SALES agent. [/quote]
How am I spinning things when both of my buyers who registered at around 10:02 were 15-20 on the list? I know what I see with my eyes when I go to new Irvine listings with my buyers and when I look on my MLS. I also see what things are closing for and then how much the buyers put down. When a flipper who buys a 2,500sf home in NW Pointe for almost $800k can turn around and flip it for almost $950k that should tell you the demand is alive and well. [/quote]

The sales agent at Coronado actually showed me their list and I was number 8 when I registered at 10:01am. She told me the first 5 people were "VIPs," which I am assuming are somehow connected with the builders....

I believe The person I spoke to at Sonoma was number 1 on the list. He was not connected to the builder and registered online at 10am on the dot.

Maybe he was lying to me or he was lied to by the salepeople. All I know is that he was there with his family taking pictures next to the sitemap board showing us what lot he chose.

I guess he really was a shill and faked me out with his story of living in north LA county, working halfway between there and Irvine and buying at Sonoma for the schools.

I feel so used.

They are also saying the Pelican Resort is doing extremely well among the high end destination resorts. The place is empty all the time. Not a single person at the pool and I have been there 6 times to check it out. May be one customer is better than no customer at other resorts.

The scariest people in OC according to OC Weekly Mr. Young came in the top 10.

]http://www.ocweekly.com/2000-11-02/features/31-scariest-people-in-oc/2]

I will trust a politician before I would trust a Politician/ developer.

He knows nothing about housing and that is not even his background.

He is building your home. No wonder all plans looking the same and no differentiation between projects other than front door off the alley or street. You get to choose between crappy yard, tiny yard or no yard.

When you can sell covered patio as California Room may be I can go sell some California organic nuggets that I scooped up from my yard.

First time poster, after reading all the activity on here and thought I would throw in my two cents.

Bottom line: I want to live in Irvine and understand that prices are going to be north of $300/ft. Been in the market for the last 6 months and looking for a 4BR 2500 sq ft home under $850K. Also want a new home with new finishes. Sonoma fits the bill, and so much so that I signed up at 10:03 when the website opened. I have seen the interest list and know two buyers that were on the first phase, and neither were related to the builder. I am not in love with the CA room (prefer the conservatory room), and lot size is a little disconcerting, but the layout of the interior is to my liking.

Now I know that i could go to Aliso Viejo and San Clemente and buy a 4000 sq ft home for the same price, but if I am going to be in the home for 5-10 yrs, I trust that the market in Irvine will not fall as much as other areas. Now that might be the koolaid talking, but Asian buyers in Irvine will continue to keep the prices afloat. As artificial as the school love is, that is the reality and that will continue to be the reality in the next 10 years. If i buy a $800K home in Woodbury or Northwood built in the last two years, I am confident tht within the next 5-10 years, there will be a window where I can recoup my investment.

I am not surprised at the demand for these new homes. Foreclosures are being gobbled up within hours of listing, and short sales get lost in the administrative headache, so buyers are happy that all they have to simply do to get a home is sign up on a website early.

Interested in furthering the discussion on specific topics....

[quote author="irvinekoolaid"]First time poster, after reading all the activity on here and thought I would throw in my two cents.

Bottom line: I want to live in Irvine and understand that prices are going to be north of $300/ft. Been in the market for the last 6 months and looking for a 4BR 2500 sq ft home under $850K. Also want a new home with new finishes. Sonoma fits the bill, and so much so that I signed up at 10:03 when the website opened. I have seen the interest list and know two buyers that were on the first phase, and neither were related to the builder. I am not in love with the CA room (prefer the conservatory room), and lot size is a little disconcerting, but the layout of the interior is to my liking.

Now I know that i could go to Aliso Viejo and San Clemente and buy a 4000 sq ft home for the same price, but if I am going to be in the home for 5-10 yrs, I trust that the market in Irvine will not fall as much as other areas. Now that might be the koolaid talking, but Asian buyers in Irvine will continue to keep the prices afloat. As artificial as the school love is, that is the reality and that will continue to be the reality in the next 10 years. If i buy a $800K home in Woodbury or Northwood built in the last two years, I am confident tht within the next 5-10 years, there will be a window where I can recoup my investment.

I am not surprised at the demand for these new homes. Foreclosures are being gobbled up within hours of listing, and short sales get lost in the administrative headache, so buyers are happy that all they have to simply do to get a home is sign up on a website early.

Interested in furthering the discussion on specific topics....[/quote]

Yes, I'd like to discuss where the heck you were at 10:01? 10:03...c'mon!!!
Explain yourself. You type slow? You got dial up? Forward me your aol or earthlink email address so we can talk about it.
I'll check back tomorrow...don't want you to tie up your phone line during business hours to respond.

[quote author="irvinekoolaid"]First time poster, after reading all the activity on here and thought I would throw in my two cents.

Interested in furthering the discussion on specific topics....[/quote]

Were you able to buy in the first phase?

Back in the day I offered a free "anywhere" airline pass to one of the sales agents in Oak Creek. Miraculously, I was #4 on the list for the phase one release. Incidentally, the #1 on the list was a VP for JLH and he purchased the biggest lot in the tract.
I don't know if this bolsters graph or USC's argument, as I can't speak for the other 11 or so buyers in phase one. All I know is that I wasn't affiliated - but that the list could be "compromised". I'm sure there's still a little of that sort of thing going on in Woodbury. BTW, that was the best use of a buddy pass...ever!

Back