3-Year Old Drowned in Woodbridge Jacuzzi

irvinenester

This is so unbelievably sad.  The story I heard was a mom offered to watch someone else's kid so that the other parent could get some stuff done.  The "caregiver" had her own kids to watch at the pool, and I guess didn't notice the 3-year old child go missing. 

This is something that could totally happen to me...either offering to watch someone else's kid at the pool, or taking up someone else's offer to watch my kid in the pool.  I need to remember that offering to watch over someone else's kid is not a responsibility to be taken lightly.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-girl-drowns-in-irvine-pool-20130719,0,2311094.story

A 3-year-old girl drowned in a community pool in Irvine on Thursday, marking the fourth drowning of a child in Orange County in two weeks.

?It?s imperative people remember that children drown without a sound,? said Orange County Fire Authority Division Chief Kris Concepcion. ?Everyone needs to watch the water, especially when there are children around.?

On Saturday, 2-year-old Johan Castaneda was found in a residential pool in Yorba Linda, according to the Orange County coroner. Four days earlier, 2-year-old Omar Abo-Shadi was found in a spa at home in Placentia. Two weeks ago, 3-year-old Xavier Ergueta drowned at a beach club in Rancho Santa Margarita.

In the latest case, the 3-year-old was being watched by a caregiver at Stone Creek Swim Club in Irvine when she disappeared.

The caregiver and lifeguards searched for about 10 minutes before they found the child in a spa, Concepcion said.

Irvine police and firefighters responded and attempted CPR. The girl was taken to Western Medical Center in Santa Ana, where she was pronounced dead. Her name has not yet been released.

When children are around water, at least one person should be assigned to monitor them, Concepcion said.

That person should be ?constantly watching the water and watching the kids to make sure they?re safe,? he said.

Wow... sad.

During the summer, the Woodbridge pools have lifeguards but they watch the pool not the jacuzzi which can sometimes be out of sight.

sad. You take your eyes off for just a couple of seconds and this can happen.  so important to teach your kids to swim and it is never too early

That's funny because a friend of mine just saved a 2 yr old kid from drowning at a BBQ 2 weeks ago.  There was a ball floating in the spa, and the baby went after it.  Friend jumped in 3 seconds later and fished her out.  Too bad his phone was in his pocket.  Luckily we had rice.

The splash was not real loud. 

No Quarter said:
Incredibly sad story...

Do most community pools even have lifeguards anymore?
As I mentioned, this one does... but the lifeguards don't typically watch the jacuzzis (this is from my personal observation and also in some pools, the jacuzzi is too far from the pool to successfully watch both).

irvinehomeowner said:
No Quarter said:
Incredibly sad story...

Do most community pools even have lifeguards anymore?
As I mentioned, this one does... but the lifeguards don't typically watch the jacuzzis (this is from my personal observation and also in some pools, the jacuzzi is too far from the pool to successfully watch both).

That is why I don't  do pool parties for our kids. Too much chaos and danger from drowning. Even if you hire a life guard, many communities have multiple pools and the kids tend to spread out in every direction.

Very sad, indeed.

A girl at our community pool went into critical condition this summer. She tried to come up for air but was blocked by an inflatable toy of some kind. We now have lifeguards on duty even though the sign says, "No lifeguard on duty."

A girl in RSM at that beach club lagoon died this summer. Now they clear the pool every hour. Everybody has to get out so they can check the water.

Very sad, it's one of the reasons we chose a house without a pool.

Community pools are very dangerous when they're crowded.  Too much going on and too many people oblivious to others.

zubs said:
That's funny because a friend of mine just saved a 2 yr old kid from drowning at a BBQ 2 weeks ago.  There was a ball floating in the spa, and the baby went after it.  Friend jumped in 3 seconds later and fished her out.  Too bad his phone was in his pocket.  Luckily we had rice.

The splash was not real loud.

Your friend is a hero. If I were the parent, I would pay him with 100 phones.

Back