Recommendations for landscaping companies

akap

Hi all,

Its time for us to find a landscaping company to get our yard completed.  If you have recommendations of professional companies who you have used, I would to hear about them.  We aren't planning on doing anything outrageous but would be interested in finding out what types of features you requested and the quotes you received for the work.

Thank you all.

Seems to me that allot of people in Stonegate are using Aloha Landscapers. I tried looking them up and couldn't find anything. Has anyone on this forum used these guys for their landscaping needs? I would love to get someones opinion before I call them up.

Having gone the landscape architect route this time, I'd highly recommend getting an architect to design and a contractor to carry out the design. It's an extra chunk of money, but it'll get you a much better end result.

I agree with NYT.  We went with a landscape architect for the overall vision/plans.  He then recommended several contractors for the hardscape.  When it came time for plant selection, I hired a a third person, a master gardener, to select waterwise trees/landscaping.  The landscape architect was not cheap- but totally worth the money for really good blueprints and a great custom design. 

Thanks for the advice. Did any one of you use Roger's Gardens for the initial design? Or do you have any other recommendations?

Jason - I used alohA, I would recommend them. They did a decent amount of homes at Augusta in Columbus square. Mahe and his brother run the company.

NYT said:
Having gone the landscape architect route this time, I'd highly recommend getting an architect to design and a contractor to carry out the design. It's an extra chunk of money, but it'll get you a much better end result.

Can you recommend the landscape architect?  Thanks

broda said:
anyone have Aloha's phone number?

714-404-5657  that is Mahe's number, the "he" in is name is pronounced as if you were saying "hello" without the "llo"

lnc said:
NYT said:

Can you recommend the landscape architect?  Thanks

We used Warwick Hunt from Studio H.
http://studioh-inc.com

Very satisfied with his work.

qwerty said:
broda said:
anyone have Aloha's phone number?

714-404-5657  that is Mahe's number, the "he" in is name is pronounced as if you were saying "hello" without the "llo"

He seemed confused that I called him on this number.  But when I said I got it from a neighbor to get a quote from him he perked up.  HAHA.

I used Resort Style Backyards for my backyard.  They do a lot of new homes and take it from just dirt to a backyard oasis.  The contractors were very professional and they have a guaranteed finish date.  I've referred a few people and everyone loves them not including the "friends of clients" discount they passed along to my friends.  Tell them Philip referred you.  Check out http://ResortStyleBackyards.comto see their pics.  Also the number is  949-306-5347

vonwrede said:
I used Land Reform Construction for my backyard.  They do a lot of new homes and take it from just dirt to a backyard oasis.  Kendall (owner) is always really fast and they have a guaranteed finish date, if they don't finish on time they will pay you per day that its not finished.  I've referred a few people and everyone loves them not including the "friends of clients" discount they passed along to my friends.  Tell them Philip referred you.  Check out http://landreformconstruction.comto see their pics.  Also the number is  949-433-6545.

How much did you spend?

Tyler Durden said:
vonwrede said:
I used Land Reform Construction for my backyard.  They do a lot of new homes and take it from just dirt to a backyard oasis.  Kendall (owner) is always really fast and they have a guaranteed finish date, if they don't finish on time they will pay you per day that its not finished.  I've referred a few people and everyone loves them not including the "friends of clients" discount they passed along to my friends.  Tell them Philip referred you.  Check out  http://landreformconstruction.com to see their pics.  Also the number is  949-433-6545.

+1 on that... he did the work on my home as well.  I can't speak more highly of a contractor that i have used so far.  I would totally recommend him to anyone.  It's hard to find honest contractors... so i have no qualms with putting my rep on the line to refer someone that does great work.

The key here:

1. doesn't use subcontractors
2. has worker's compensation for his guys
3. doesn't work on weekends - so you have a break from the noise and folks over at  your place.
4. you pay for the materials directly to the supplier - so you have transparency into the costs and know what you are paying for
5. provides a construction schedule with delivery dates and costs for key milestones.

how are their prices compared to like Aloha?

Good to know.  Aloha took me to a bunch of his customers sites that he did, and everyone seems pretty happy with what they got and the jobs looked pretty nice. He doesn't subcontract and he said he has two separate crews that work at the same time so he's doing 2 jobs at once at any given time.

I reached out to Landscape Reform and waiting for a call back.

Pricing now seems to be inflating like everything else. What neighbors are telling me they got quoted for their yard 6-8 months ago are now anywhere from 15-20% higher.  Unless cost of pavers and plants went up that significantly, these landscape guys are just trying to cash in.  I understand that's just the business of new construction going on but it sucks for us consumers.

So far the landscape contractors who don't seem shady as for payment ask 10% to secure the job, 20% once supplies are ordered. another 20% for plants, and then the rest at the end of job which seems fair.

I'll be talking with Go Pavers soon and hopefully Landscape Reform contacts me soon.

All I'll say is avoid West Coast landcare like the freaking plague. We worked with one of their designers for a couple of weeks earlier in the summer, agreed on a price for the work, signed the contract, and submitted plans for approval.  During the waiting period, the owner decided to fire the employee we were working with and didn't bother to tell us or any of the customers that he was working with at the time.  Anyways, our plans were not approved as there were small modifications that need to be made (complete other source of frustration), so we contacted the company to get new plans drawn up. The owner then informs us that he was downsized the company would would be taking over all of the projects.  He sits on our plans for about 3 weeks, and then emails us saying his old employee had under-quoted the project cost and it would actually cost 25-30% more....needless to say we are asking for and WILL BE GETTING our deposit back, but thanks to these a**hats we've been set back almost 2 month. Thanks to the internet, there will soon be lots of negative reviews on this company...I have nothing better to do these days...not like I have a nice yard to spend my free time in. 

not the first i heard about West Coast upping the costs on projects.  Plus I've seen their work, there is no creativity in it.  All their houses look exactly the same.

Hi Everyone,

Curious if anyone has had any positive experiences with any landscapers for very small motorcourt backyards?  We had two initial appointments set up with two different landscapers and both of them no-showed.  Sign of the times...

kahunasteve said:
Hi Everyone,

Curious if anyone has had any positive experiences with any landscapers for very small motorcourt backyards?  We had two initial appointments set up with two different landscapers and both of them no-showed.  Sign of the times...

you doing just landscaping and no hard scape?

Back