Would you buy a house..

cubiczirconia

.. on a hill with amazing views, good floor plan and a good enough price.. and.. a free-fall of a driveway?
I understand it's not easy getting in and out of a house like that four times a day, but what are the other pitfalls?

Cubic Zirconia said:
.. on a hill with amazing views, good floor plan and a good enough price.. and.. a free-fall of a driveway?
I understand it's not easy getting in and out of a house like that four times a day, but what are the other pitfalls?

Are you talking on a hill...cause landslides are a serious serious concern.

Cubic Zirconia said:

Landslides are like earthquakes...you never know when they are going to happen but being on a hill with an extreme grade puts you at risk.  Especially true for older home where the grading standards were not very good.  Landslides basically put the Mission Viejo company out of business.
http://articles.latimes.com/2005/jan/29/local/me-slide29

Personally, I would never live on a hill.  Never.

Oh, I thought the house was going to be at the top of the incline instead of the bottom. I would be more curious where all the water goes when it rains. o_O

SoCal said:
Oh, I thought the house was going to be at the top of the incline instead of the bottom. I would be more curious where all the water goes when it rains. o_O

This is an example. The property I am talking about is somewhere where the ears felt slight pressure :)
Noted down: Rainwater. I should know this. My childhood home was on a hill and when it rained the school bus dropped me at the cross street to wade home. The water would rush down, almost scary when I was in elementary school!

The driveway is fine on that house.  The real problem for a lot of homes on Panorama circle are the yards and the multi-floor structures.  The house footprints tend to small with lots of space because they use 3 or 4 floors.

In this case, the neighbor unfortunately has a megastructure that sits right on top of the house. 

A 20-30 foot drop from the deck is also common.  Many yards have literally 100% grade, i.e. a 45 degree slope.

In that case CZ, does the light pressure cause snow?  If snow, no way on an inclined drive. They ice.

nosuchreality said:
The driveway is fine on that house.  The real problem for a lot of homes on Panorama circle are the yards and the multi-floor structures.  The house footprints tend to small with lots of space because they use 3 or 4 floors.

In this case, the neighbor unfortunately has a megastructure that sits right on top of the house. 

A 20-30 foot drop from the deck is also common.  Many yards have literally 100% grade, i.e. a 45 degree slope.

In that case CZ, does the light pressure cause snow?  If snow, no way on an inclined drive. They ice.

Mostly there will be ice.. and that reminds me. I am an Asian driver still, no matter how good. I have no idea how to drive in ice and snow. Yes, almost every deck had a drop. IHO, yes, IC also pointed that out. OK, back to square one. 3.0 search ended in Modjeska Canyon. 3.1 ended in goat hill. NEXT!

SoCal said:
LOL. What ice in Modjeska?

Without ice I skid away from that heaven :p
There was no way I could do that drive at 8am in the morning, getting late everywhere. The turn space near the property was so small, California court in comparison looks like a stadium!

We have a poster here on TI who lives near this street. Hopefully they'll chime in.

You'll never regret buying with a view like that. The drainage is going to be mission critical given the position of the street and the driveway slope. I'd ask the neighbors on both sides what it's like living there first and what the rainy season does to the street.

What's under the house? Pylons and cables? Did they finish the area underneath the property? Having grown up in Laguna Beach, this kind of house is very common and with the right engineering a great place to live.

Interesting price history. 2007 $1.1m, $450k later, now $900k. The bubble is back BABY!

CZ, I had no idea you're willing to leave Irvine, but since you are, I wish you would come to FR purely for my own selfish reasons - so we could have our weekly Bitchfest in person over Chai tea while maintaining a solid Level 2.5.

SoCal said:
CZ, I had no idea you're willing to leave Irvine, but since you are, I wish you would come to FR purely for my own selfish reasons - so we could have our weekly Bitchfest in person over Chai tea while maintaining a solid Level 2.5.

North Tustin is much nicer and closer access to the core job markets. :)

Not sure where in Costa Mesa you're looking that causes ear pressure for search 3.1.

nosuchreality said:
SoCal said:

Not sure where in Costa Mesa you're looking that causes ear pressure for search 3.1.

Cool! Looks like we have a volunteer offering to host our weekly Bitchfest!  :) NSR's place every Tuesday morning in N. Tustin it is! Careful what you wish for.

SoCal said:
nosuchreality said:
SoCal said:

Cool! Looks like we have a volunteer offering to host our weekly Bitchfest!  :) NSR's place every Tuesday morning in N. Tustin it is! Careful what you wish for.

Oh, it's a package deal.  I wasn't clear on that...  :-[

JK  :D

nosuchreality said:
SoCal said:

Santa Ana/ Orange/ North Tustin somewhere there in that area :) My ears are very delicate.. got screwed up during my wisdom tooth removal. They don't need airports- any change in elevation and they act up. SoCal- 2.5!? The only reason to move to FHR would be brownies like I could never make, and that calls for a LEVEL 5!!! Still want to find me something in your neighborhood? ;-)

Soylent Green Is People said:
We have a poster here on TI who lives near this street. Hopefully they'll chime in.

You'll never regret buying with a view like that. The drainage is going to be mission critical given the position of the street and the driveway slope. I'd ask the neighbors on both sides what it's like living there first and what the rainy season does to the street.

What's under the house? Pylons and cables? Did they finish the area underneath the property? Having grown up in Laguna Beach, this kind of house is very common and with the right engineering a great place to live.

Interesting price history. 2007 $1.1m, $450k later, now $900k. The bubble is back BABY!

Talking to the neighbors is a great idea SGIP! I have no clue about what's beneath, it's bubbling up pretty good, that's for sure :)
We talk about Irvine and being priced out a lot, but those in the market know that the border cities are no less!

CZ, I was going to guess 3.1 is Anaheim Hills! Have you considered it? I think you would like it.

Back