Columbus Grove or Portola Springs

Columbus Grove has better centralized location, but some people have expressed concerns about soil contamination.

Portola Springs is more secluded and off the beaten path, but some people have expressed concerns about being close to the landfill.

For my money, I went Portola Springs because I like the feel of the community better.  Plus, I feel like the "centralized" location of irvine will shift further and further east, as more homes are being built around that area.

PS by a landslide. CG over CS but both are inferior to most of Irvine. Neither of the Columbus neighborhoods are close to recovering from the peak for a reason.

UCIBiotech said:
PS by a landslide. CG over CS but both are inferior to most of Irvine. Neither of the Columbus neighborhoods are close to recovering from the peak for a reason.

That is what I wonder. Why is CG cheaper than the rest of Irvine? Why hasn't it recovered and what do people don't like about it?

Doesn't CG have crazy Mello Roos?  I heard about TCE plumb, train noise, high voltage electrical towers, etc. near CG. 

What don't people like about CG?

1. No Irvine Address - check
2. 50 feet from highway (open portion of Jamboree with 60MPH limit and 4 or 5 lanes.) - check
3. drainage ditch, open construction and trains - check
4. downwind from waste management transfer site - check
5. downwind from cement site and construction circle - check
6. new schools to be named later - check
7. $7000 - $10,000 of Mello-Roos on SFRs - check
8. Remediated hazardous waste site former military base across the road - check
9. 2800sf homes on a 4000sf lot - check.
10. Toxic plume disclosure (rumor?) so no planting fruit trees - check

nosuchreality said:

2. 50 feet from highway (open portion of Jamboree with 60MPH limit and 4 or 5 lanes.) - check

I thought CG had a Irvine address?

quattroporte said:
nosuchreality said:

I thought CG had a Irvine address?

the half south of warner does, the half north of warner is tustin

nosuchreality said:

I think you're mixing up Columbus Grove and Columbus Square.
1. Portion south of Warner is Irvine city.
6. All of Columbus Grove (Irvine and Tustin) is in the Irvine school district. No new schools planned.
10. No problem with planting fruit trees. Columbus Grove is built on what used to be base housing.

Columbus Grove is a better central location.

Once Stonegate, Cypress Village, Portola Springs, Lambert Ranch and the Great Park are built out, the traffic on Sand Canyon will be horrendous.

Vinster said:
10. No problem with planting fruit trees. Columbus Grove is built on what used to be base housing.
The disclosures were also in Columbus Grove... I forgot the name of the tract but it was the large William Lyon one.

irvinehomeowner said:
Vinster said:
The disclosures were also in Columbus Grove... I forgot the name of the tract but it was the large William Lyon one.

CG is a halfsie site. Half in, half out.  The whole development is called "Tustin Legacy", not Irvine Legacy.  The greater complex includes several too be built schools by TUSD, if they develop plans.  When they do, the shifting of district assignment may occur.

In general, any time you need to explain that you're not in the part that has the bad stuff, you get dinged.

nosuchreality said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Vinster said:

CG is a halfsie site. Half in, half out.  The whole development is called "Tustin Legacy", not Irvine Legacy.  The greater complex includes several too be built schools by TUSD, if they develop plans.  When they do, the shifting of district assignment may occur.

In general, any time you need to explain that you're not in the part that has the bad stuff, you get dinged.

You're talking about the part of Tustin Legacy (Columbus Square and future development) that's in the Tustin USD. All of Columbus Grove as well as Tustin Field I and II is in the Irvine USD. Any future TUSD schools are a non-issue.

nosuchreality said:

THIS!  I live in Irvine and have no clue which is which.

Vinster said:
nosuchreality said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Vinster said:

You're talking about the part of Tustin Legacy (Columbus Square and future development) that's in the Tustin USD. All of Columbus Grove as well as Tustin Field I and II is in the Irvine USD. Any future TUSD schools are a non-issue.

"Most people see school districts as stable or even permanent governmental entities. School district boundaries, however, do change. Territory is transferred from one school district to another, districts are divided or combined with their neighbors, and some districts are terminated. The District Organization Handbook describes how these changes come about and provides reference for procedures and responsibilities for all parties involved in the school district organization process. The District Organization Handbook is available on the CDE District Organization Web page." http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/di/fq/distschlboundaries.asp

I don't think there is any law preventing IUSD or TUSD from redistricting.

I doubt they would but if the IUSD schools are overcrowded, they certainly can vote to do so (this is similar to what happened recently at Stonegate/Woodbury where they voted to add portable classrooms instead of sending students to other schools).

In fact, the schools that Columbus Grove are assigned to are inconvenient as they are located in Woodbridge (instead of WestPark II which is closer to Columbus Grove).

Vinster said:
nosuchreality said:

I think you're mixing up Columbus Grove and Columbus Square.
1. Portion south of Warner is Irvine city.
6. All of Columbus Grove (Irvine and Tustin) is in the Irvine school district. No new schools planned.

Columbus Grove is a better central location.

Once Stonegate, Cypress Village, Portola Springs, Lambert Ranch and the Great Park are built out, the traffic on Sand Canyon will be horrendous.

Not to mention the number of garbage trucks traveling along Sand Canyon road till year 2051.

Back