Sonoma: Plan 1 - 2330sf

irvinehomeowner

I was able to tour the model homes today and I took pictures. I shrunk down to 400x300 so as not to bog down the download speed and they may not have the best lighting.

Pricing starts at $771,700.

If you're looking for Plan 2:
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=irvinere&thread=426
Plan 3:
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=irvinere&thread=429

First, the floorplan for Plan 1, compliments of Scott Gunther (aka IrvineRealtor):

SonomaA2330.JPG

The model for Plan 1 is reverse of the above floor plan. We'll start this off with...

First Floor

Exterior (not so great picture):
sx1vs9.jpg

Your typical Irvine stucco box. Nothing really spectacular and I didn't really talk to the sales people so I'm not sure what the other elevations look like.

The porch area is covered which I think is nice and some builders over look because when it's raining (how rare that is nowadays), it's good that your visitors are somewhat protected.

The very tall door opens to an entry foyer with the powder down a small hall to the left (or right). I prefer houses that have these type of areas as you don't open up directly into any living space. As you proceed to the back of the house past the stairs, you get to the...

Great Room:
5nvwc6.jpg

zx0eap.jpg

It's not really that great... about the size of many family rooms. But how it's layed out in relation to the dining area (not room) and kitchen, it really looks big.

Kitchen:
w2cdmt.jpg

4lr8mc.jpg

Now I have to tell you, when you look at the square footage of these homes and wonder why they only have 3 bedrooms and no separate living spaces, you can see where all the space went to. These kitchens are enormous and if you look at the floor plan, it takes up almost half the downstairs living area.

Near the back off the kitchen is the...

Pantry/Desk area:
iqivkg.jpg

1231t7b.jpg

The wife really loves this area. The desk is multi purpose as you can use it for an area to put mail, put the grocery bags while you pile them into the pantry and many other uses. More homes should have this kind of area.

And double door entries off the dining area lead to...

The infamous California Room:
2je1w5e.jpg

(from inside through sliding French-style doors)
2aaknrc.jpg

25f7o00.jpg

So yes, it's basically a covered patio but it is a nice area considering it's fully covered (unlike a pergola or those wood slap patios many people are used to) and you can put in lighting and other items that are protected from the elements. If you open up the sliding doors it's a nice extension while you are entertaining guests. But the backyard area is tiny, the home is almost backed up to the wall so what you see in your Cali room and that small area outside of the great room is all you get.

Going back to the foyer...

Stairs/Powder:
2rp64u9.jpg

2mma1ah.jpg

(sorry, not very good picture of the powder)
x1bl7c.jpg

(storage closet below stairs)
I like having the stairs off the foyer and the powder is far from the rest of the living area (BK-style). There is also a storage space under the stairs (3rd picture) which I like as it makes use of an area that would usually just be walled over.

The stairs is a nice open area with windows so that it doesn't feel closed in.

Second Floor

When you go up the stairs, directly to the left (or right) is a huge...

Master Bedroom:
2iuollg.jpg

ao18pu.jpg

If you can see from the picture (and the floorplan), this master is wider (or longer) than typical masters and this allows for a small sitting area just as you enter that bedroom. In lieu of a separate master retreat, I like these type of extended master bedrooms. There is a huge window facing the back of your home and if you happen to back a nice area, that would be great, but most of these will be backing your neighbors and considering how close the houses are to each other, make sure you have the windows covered or you might get to know your neighbor better than you want.

Master Bathroom:
2d7yjdl.jpg

ngvzbt.jpg

2uqiyv9.jpg

This area is sizeable and the shower is huge. My only complaint here is the shower isn't enclosed on 3 sides by solid walls like it may look on the floorplan. The side facing the sinks, is actually part of the glass enclosure so while it is separate from the tub, it's not as private as I would like. This is more a personal preference. The master closet picture isn't very good but it shows that the standard material is wood multi-level shelves and hangar poles. I prefer this over the metal wire systems that other builders use as the solid shelves have more utility in my opinion. I still don't think it's big enough for a couple and I prefer separate master closets.

Going out from the master, you pass the...

Laundry Room:
15poh1t.jpg

29wwu9k.jpg

mszjsx.jpg

They must have focus grouped my wife for this laundry room. It's awesome, machines on ones side, folding area and sink on the other, cabinets and a huge-antic storage area. Some people may think this is wasted space but for anyone who does laundry almost daily for the family... this place is heaven.

Upstairs Bathroom:
111i6c2.jpg

vdnxqb.jpg

This is the best layout for a shared bathroom, dual sinks and a door to separate the shower/tub and toilet from the sinks. With kids, it's good to be able to have one take a shower without disallowing the other from using a sink.

Bedroom 2:
25kmws2.jpg

Bedroom 3:
2ikvzhj.jpg

It's hard to see from these pictures but these rooms are actually quite big, especially Bedroom 3. I think these rooms are actually bigger than the ones in Plan 3 and possible even Plan 2.

I apologize if the pictures aren't very good but combined with the floorplan, it gives you an idea of what these home look like (especially if you can't see them yourself like some guy from Chicago).

Seeing them in person though will definitely make you appreciate these designs ignoring the price. The builder is TRI Pointe and I think they did a good job in addressing the needs of the typical family that would be looking at these models (except for the lack of a 3-car garage). I think these are aimed more at families with 2 or 3 kids (who do not drive) but the prices are too high in my opinion.

I'll post the Plan 2 and Plan 3 threads when I have time.

Thanks for posting these, IHO.

I noticed one of the bathrooms was wallpapered. I've seen that in some other model homes too. Is wallpaper making a comeback?

One thing I really dislike about Woodbury is the "view," or really lack thereof. The surrounding area just looks so desertlike and ugly. Maybe that will change as they build up the area more.

Thank you IHO! you are awesome! These are nice photos. I just the saw the prices for Sonoma and it is still expensive <!-- s:( --:mad:<!-- s:( -->. Though how can you complain when the Villa Rosa plan 1 2600 was asking for $980,000?

Sonoma Phase 1 Pricing:
Residence One
$771,700
3 bd, 2.5 bath
2345 sqft

Residence Two
$807,200
4 bd, 3 full bath
2463 sqft

Residence Three
$853,200
4 bd+Loft, 3 full bath
2627 sqft

Thanks IHO

I still can't believe the prices, though. 8x-9x the median HH income for what should be a starter or first move-up house?

geez, I'm starting to sound like AZDavid, but....

Nice photos. I probably missed you--was there earlier today with the kids in tow. I probably blended in with the other FCBs. <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

Wait... they didn't let you into Sonoma? Those were the only models that were consistently open.

So what are we going to do today? Montecito? Carmel?

Panda and Iho are both model home junkies. You both need to go to rehab. Especially you PANDA. I have only heard of people flying to another state for a different type addiction that got captured on Dateline NBC.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]Wait... they didn't let you into Sonoma? Those were the only models that were consistently open.

So what are we going to do today? Montecito? Carmel?[/quote]

I have an idea IHO.. How about you go in and distract the sales peope while i jump over the fence and take a look at the models. <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

[quote author="graceomalley"]Panda and Iho are both model home junkies. You both need to go to rehab. Especially you PANDA. I have only heard of people flying to another state for a different type addiction that got captured on Dateline NBC.[/quote]

BK, you hurt my feelings. <!-- s:( --:mad:<!-- s:( -->

Are there any home in the collection where the front door is more than 5' from the frontal garage door? Why even have a front door when the garage man door is right there? People would use that garage man door to go in and out unless of of course the garage is used for storage.

[quote author="graceomalley"]Are there any home in the collection where the front door is more than 5' from the frontal garage door? Why even have a front door when the garage man door is right there? People would use that garage man door to go in and out unless of of course the garage is used for storage.[/quote]
Silly BK... because there is no doorbell or peephole for the garage door.

"Who is it?"
"UPS... I have a package for you."
"Hold on while I roll up the garage door."

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]
[quote author="graceomalley"]Are there any home in the collection where the front door is more than 5' from the frontal garage door? Why even have a front door when the garage man door is right there? People would use that garage man door to go in and out unless of of course the garage is used for storage.[/quote]
Silly BK... because there is no doorbell or peephole for the garage door.

"Who is it?"
"UPS... I have a package for you."
"Hold on while I roll up the garage door."[/quote]

LOL.

Back