Baker Ranch in Lake Forest / Foothill Ranch

Yea, I just bought at Santa Clara (overpriced "flat", aka. apartment), and now I see Baker is coming on line.  I wonder if I should have waited.

That said, I try to justify to myself the Irvine school district/address is worth the premium.  What do most people think that premium is for a similar square footage house in Irvine vs. Baker Ranch?  $100K?

penumbra said:
Yea, I just bought at Santa Clara (overpriced "flat", aka. apartment), and now I see Baker is coming on line.  I wonder if I should have waited.

That said, I try to justify to myself the Irvine school district/address is worth the premium.  What do most people think that premium is for a similar square footage house in Irvine vs. Baker Ranch?  $100K?

yeah, so much better. BR is worth so much less. I hope everybody else feels that way too.

I happened to drive by the site today. Drove up Bake Pkwy. While I have no doubt the end product will be nice, I didn't like the fact that I was driving by a lot of business parks to get there from the 5. Seems like it's a residential neighborhood plopped down in the middle of a business zone. At least that was my first impression.

The Shea/Baker Ranch community is a master planned community located in the
northwestern portion of the City of Lake Forest. The project is bounded by Borrego Canyon
Wash on the northwest, Bake Parkway and existing business park development on the south,
the Foothill Transportation Corridor and an Irvine Ranch Water District reservoir site on the
east, and Commercentre Drive on the west.

The proposed Area Plan for the Shea/Baker Ranch community provides for the following
land uses with a total of 2,379 residential units:

? Up to 1,638 for-sale homes, on approximately 308 acres, ranging from low density (2-7
units per net acre) to medium density (up to 25 units per net acre)

? A broad variety of home styles including single family detached, motor courts, cluster
homes, green courts, flats, townhomes and condominiums

? A maximum of 48.38 acres designated for mixed use development

? The mixed-use development contemplates commercial areas developed together with
multi-family residential units ranging from low-medium to high densities

o A maximum of 25,000 square feet of commercial development and up to 741
residential units (147 for-sale units, 414 market rate apartments and 180
affordable apartments)

The community provides over one hundred acres of parks and open spaces, as follows:

? 7.46 acres of community park and 12.0 acres of neighborhood parks, in addition to trails
and paseos

? The 8.37 gross acre Central Linear Park, with 7.0 useable acres

? The 12.58-acre Borrego Linear Park including a trail system that covers approximately
5.05 acres
http://www.lakeforestca.gov/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=6908

NYT said:
I happened to drive by the site today. Drove up Bake Pkwy. While I have no doubt the end product will be nice, I didn't like the fact that I was driving by a lot of business parks to get there from the 5. Seems like it's a residential neighborhood plopped down in the middle of a business zone. At least that was my first impression.

Then take Alton instead.

Btw, I don't know if the title of this thread is accurate. It is not in Foothill Ranch. The community will lie south of the Foothill Ranch Transportation Corridor.

irvinehomeowner said:
You know, if a surrounding OC city wants to compete with Irvine, they should make 3CWGs.

I searched for mention of garages (can't believe I accidentally typed 3CWG into the search bar. Major oops.) But anyway, so far I haven't even seen the word "garage" mentioned. No info on that yet. Only on the housing types.

Paging IHO. Yes. The grand plan does allow for 3CWGs. I will highlight in blue:

In order to create attractive and comfortable street scenes and pedestrian spaces, the living
space of the homes within the Shea/Baker Ranch community shall be emphasized. Generally
the architecture should be forward and there shall be at least one (1) different garage
placement listed below:

? Forward - Project at least 5' from a plane break in front of home (no flat fa?ades).

? Shallow Recess - Recess at least 5' from a plane break (no flat fa?ades).

? Mid-Recessed - Recess at least 10' from front living area.

? Forward - Project at least 5' from a plane break in front of home (no flat fa?ades).

? Shallow Recess - Recess at least 5' from a plane break (no flat fa?ades).

? Mid-Recessed - Recess at least 10' from front living area.? Deep Recessed - Recess 18' from front living area.

? Swing-In - Use the same architectural treatment on the street-facing garage walls as the
front elevation; include at least one (1) street-facing window; and provide a back-up
space of 28 feet.

? Garage Offset - Offset garage doors a minimum of 24 inches.

? Tandem - Tandem garage spaces counted toward required parking may be permitted by a
Site Plan that demonstrates a better design solution than would otherwise be achieved.

? Tandem garages not counted toward required parking are permitted.

? Three-car Front Facing ?
o A maximum of two (2), three-car front facing plans are allowed per
neighborhood;
o Lots must be 55 feet or wider measured at the front property line;
o Offset a single garage door at least two (2) feet from a double door or provide
three single garage doors each separated by at least one (1) foot.

Baker Ranch is not the same as Foothill Ranch - however, BJ's evaluation on IHB about F.R. was correct. It is possible to see Catalina Island and the ocean from Foothill Ranch. I have seen it from Foothill Ranch Community Park and the elementary school's baseball field. Those are at elevations of approx. 900 feet. Maybe it will be possible from this new community, too, due to the orientation although it is not as high up... my house is at over 1,000 feet elevation.

Well... I assume Foothill Ranch is the highest elevation in Lake Forest but there are some other areas that are high enough to provide views.

irvinehomeowner said:
Well... I assume Foothill Ranch is the highest elevation in Lake Forest

Actually, Portola Hills has the highest elevation in Lake Forest at approximately 1,400 feet.

SoCal said:
NYT said:

Then take Alton instead.

I've taken both Alton and Bake.  It's the same business feel from the 5 Fwy.  Even as you approach and pass Irvine Blvd, it's very business-y as office parks line both sides. 

Back