BRCA Gene

cubiczirconia

I know, it's raining men at TI, but then they have wives and mothers.. so, here goes the question: Anyone gone through the BRCA testing?

I got a slip to get tested. Came out of the Dr's office, tore it off and threw in the garbage. First, it's a lot of money. Then, if it's positive, what next? It's not an easy decision going through preventive surgery. Live in fear? I would rather leave it up to the forces and let nature decide..

Hey... I just heard about this on the radio... something about Angelina Jolie testing for it and getting a double mas to prevent cancer.

And while very uncommon, men can get it too.

irvinehomeowner said:
Hey... I just heard about this on the radio... something about Angelina Jolie testing for it and getting a double mas to prevent cancer.

And while very uncommon, men can get it too.

Yes! She has the money and the support system to get all that done.. what about regular women?

Cubic Zirconia said:
Yes! She has the money and the support system to get all that done.. what about regular women?
Like SoCal, I'm not sure what the medical coverage is for this kind of testing and follow-up.

That is the problem with celebrities and these types of things, they make it seem so easy but for the general populace, it's not.

One of my issues is they make it seem like you can wait until later to have kids... so women are putting their family plans on hold to pursue their career or whatever thinking they can have kids in their 30s/40s like all these actresses/singers are. Not realizing than many of these women have the money to pay for fertility treatments, in vitro etc (which is why you see a larger than normal percentage of these older celebs having twins... a result of fertility procedures).

Just like our fitness thread, anyone can look like a 20 year old in their 30s/40s when they have the money and time to have someone cook healthy food for them and workout whenever they feel like it.

I guess that's why I want my kids to be celebs... hehe.

Cubic Zirconia said:
SoCal said:
What is the cost to be tested? I don't suppose insurance covers any of it?

I think around 3k to 4k. My insurance doesn't cover it.

Yikes. Would probably be wise to weigh how at-risk one is to see if it warrants testing.

It doesn't run in my family so I doubt I would. I think it helps enough just to get the mammograms once you're what... over 40? I forget when they start that.

Is this the first time they've offered it to you? I wonder why my doctor hasn't offered it to me.

SoCal said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
SoCal said:
What is the cost to be tested? I don't suppose insurance covers any of it?

I think around 3k to 4k. My insurance doesn't cover it.

Yikes. Would probably be wise to weigh how at-risk one is to see if it warrants testing.

It doesn't run in my family so I doubt I would. I think it helps enough just to get the mammograms once you're what... over 40? I forget when they start that.

Is this the first time they've offered it to you? I wonder why my doctor hasn't offered it to me.

Well, I am at high risk genetically. Both of grandmothers had it- they were completely cured and died of different reasons, but didn't make it past 60. My great grand mother had it too. No one in my mother's generation or my generation has anything remote. Still, the doctor wants me to get tested. Mammograms start at 35 if you are at risk, and 40 otherwise. I got a slip for that too - threw it in the garbage, didn't answer the lab's call :) Guess I am fighting being tested..

irvinehomeowner said:
One of my issues is they make it seem like you can wait until later to have kids... so women are putting their family plans on hold to pursue their career or whatever thinking they can have kids in their 30s/40s like all these actresses/singers are. Not realizing than many of these women have the money to pay for fertility treatments, in vitro etc (which is why you see a larger than normal percentage of these older celebs having twins... a result of fertility procedures).

Yes! Double, triple like. Soooo true! You are so smart, Iho! They also use donor eggs for their own pregnancy and lie about it or they use a surrogate. Then you get your 40 year old administrator who suddenly wants a baby and is in denial that she is infertile / at increased risk of birth defects / higher risk pregnancy due to "advanced maternal age". Menopause is not a myth!

@CZ:

A word of advice from your anonymous internet friend, if you are at any risk, please get tested. Early detection, treatment and prevention will not only save your life, but affect the lives of all around you.

We've lost too many to the horrible C and seeing how it hurts those left behind is not something to "throw in the garbage". Stop fighting so you can keep living.

CZ, at least get the mammogram! I've heard the new machines don't hurt like the dickens anymore. I hear that husbands are also willing volunteers to check us for any suspicious lumps.

abcd1234 said:
I don't know how old you are- but mammorgrams are not that bad.  Yes, a little uncomfortable, but not painful.

Not sure if this is for me or CZ, but I've never had one. I'm too young (under 35). I just remember my mother being in a lot of pain with them and dreading it each time due to the intense discomfort of being flattened like a pancake.  :(

Q: Are specific mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2 more common in certain populations?

A: Yes. For example, three specific mutations, two in the BRCA1 gene and one in the BRCA2 gene, are the most common mutations found in these genes in the Ashkenazi Jewish population. In one study, 2.3 percent of participants (120 out of 5,318) carried one of these three mutations (9). This frequency is about five times higher than that found in the general population (10). It is not known whether the increased frequency of these mutations is responsible for the increased risk of breast cancer in Jewish populations compared with non-Jewish populations.

(I will schedule a mammo. I will schedule a mammo. I will stop fighting it. What's the worst that can happen..)
I think I will get another slip done and schedule one. Husband is also pushing me  ??? I am acting like the wife who postpones credit check because she has credit cards husband doesn't know about  :'(

Thanks for responding guys. IHO- right, I have seen my mother and aunt suffer a lot when my grand mother went through her surgeries. Don't want my children/ husband to go through the same. But- no BRCA! I don't want to know the percentage of risk.. and take preventive measures.

i thought that angelina jolie having that double mas was a little extreme. if my wife was high risk i would imagine she would take her chances.  Jolie is kind of weird so i would not be surprised if there is some alterior motive, who knows. but it is her body and she can do what she wants. if i was a woman i would probably take my chances.  what if in the next five years they come up with a cure for cancer? i think she will feel somewhat bad about having it done, although she will likely just rationalize that at the time it makes sense.

that is why i dont stop eating red meat. im hoping in the next five years they come up with a drink you take and 15 minutes later all of your arteries are unclogged and you are good to go!

qwerty said:
that is why i dont stop eating red meat. im hoping in the next five years they come up with a drink you take and 15 minutes later all of your arteries are unclogged and you are good to go!
I'm waiting for the one that removes all the excess fat from your body... although those FreezeTheFat commercials on ESPN radio seem close (how do they only kill/freeze fat cells and not skin or other cells you need?).

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
I'm waiting for the one that removes all the excess fat from your body... although those FreezeTheFat commercials on ESPN radio seem close (how do they only kill/freeze fat cells and not skin or other cells you need?).

i actually checked out the pictures on their website, you could barely tell the difference.

Back