What could happen if you do landscaping without submitting a plan to HOA

sentosa

just curious, what's the worst case scenario if you proceed landscaping project without submitting a plan to HOA ?
our HOA is getting ridiculous by increasing the review cost 50% starting April 1 and added some weird rules to restrict a lot of things to be done.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Ahhh, the joys of not having an HOA.  I think I might paint my house purple (and gold):p

there you go..

but isn't there some sort of Irvine city ordinance/law to not hit your house with the ugly stick?

ps9 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
Ahhh, the joys of not having an HOA.  I think I might paint my house purple (and gold):p

there you go..

but isn't there some sort of Irvine city ordinance/law to not hit your house with the ugly stick?

Yeah the cops show up and arrest you

USCTrojanCPA said:
Ahhh, the joys of not having an HOA.  I think I might paint my house purple.  :p

Ahhh! The joys of having an HOA.  :)  I think I might go look at my neighbor's house which is a nice earth tone.

sentosa said:
just curious, what's the worst case scenario if you proceed landscaping project without submitting a plan to HOA ?
our HOA is getting ridiculous by increasing the review cost 50% starting April 1 and added some weird rules to restrict a lot of things to be done.

LOL, I had a work acquaintance do this once.

Step 1: they send you a letter to correct. (pull it all out and submit plans)
Step 2: you refuse
Step 3: while at work, they send a landscaper to correct for you.
Step 4: they send you the bill.

It really depends on the HOA board and the committee heading the review/compliance.  If there's a Napoleon, you'll have problem.  If they're reasonable, you'll just get a fine.  Unfortunately, smaller HOAs can have challenges with people getting on committees that treat each person's request as their own personal home design opportunity.

ZeroLot said:
This just happened to someone in phase 1 in my tract. It was messy.

What happened?  Please share some details as I still have not submitted my plans.

My goal was to submit the plans in February but that came and went. March will be the month

Did you get your pool access back?  Summer just around the corner, sure the little one will love to swim.

ps9 said:
Did you get your pool access back?  Summer just around the corner, sure the little one will love to swim.

No not yet, that's why I need to get it done so I can take her to the pool.

ZeroLot said:

But, but, but its just a small court yard, what can go wrong?

Unless they took ZeroLot's advice try to annex some front yard and got caught. :(

qwerty said:
ZeroLot said:

What happened?  Please share some details as I still have not submitted my plans.

I don't have EXACT details, only the homeowner would have those.  But what is going around is that someone in Phase 1 just decided to landscape on their own.  Somehow the HOA found out and wanted them to rip everything out.

They fought back, contacted several people to fight the HOA.  Unfortunately since they were Phase 1, the HOA had plenty of time to deal with them.  So the HOA won.  The person ended up ripping out every piece of their yard or the HOA was going to do it for them.

The bad thing for me is because of that person in Phase 1, the HOA has gotten SUPER tight on the entire community.  They are taking close to 4 weeks to review EVERY single detail of every plan submitted henceforth.

I officially live under the landscape microscope.

lnc said:
ZeroLot said:

But, but, but its just a small court yard, what can go wrong?

Unless they took ZeroLot's advice try to annex some front yard and got caught. :(

Not Phase 1.  Phase 1 got the nice spacious yards. 

And the only reason I annexed some front yard was someone on TI doubled dared me to.  So technically it's NOT my fault.  ;) 

Back