Is there a "slow period" for rental companies?

f1studentinus

Is there a "slow period" for rental companies: a period of time when the have substantial inventory at hand and very less demand for it (an ideal time for smart renters to hunt for good deals)?

I would like to negotiate my lease to end during one of these periods so that I can minimize the impact of a rent increase, if that is possible.

Summer is probably the busiest times for transitions, especially for families with kids or students.

Seems like late November/December would be the slowest time since no one really likes to move during the holidays.

I think in Irvine, "negotiating" leases is better based on property vacancy/location than time period.

Interesting, so perhaps I could have a small advantage by having a 10 month lease from today (that would expire in March 2014)?

Although not exactly the time period you mentioned, it's off by a quarter which might not be much.

Rental properties that are too empty might be a red flag perhaps?

Around the region that I am talking about in my other post (http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,3789.0.html) how do the 1 BD apartments fluctuate in price?

With all the new apartment complex's being built i would say with large vacancies they usually offer really good concessions.  If you look at rental-living.com, they usually give you how many units are available for each community.  Different if you're looking at non IAC apartments.    I factored in the convenience of a lot of the IAC apartments that had in unit washer and dryer.

Currently I think a lot of the people who purchased income properties are also fighting IAC pricing...so you might be able to negotiate a really good rate with a private owner of a condo.  Especially if you're an excellent prospect for a long time renter who will take care of their property.

If you don't mind moving, you should be able to get a really good deal at one of the new apartment complexes over at the Cypress Village.  IAC will tend to offer some pretty nice incentives for their new apartments so that they can ramp up the occupancy of those new apartments.  I've seen something like 4-8 weeks of free rent plus a pretty competitive rental rate.  Another way to go would be to look for some private rentals as the number of rental listings from private owners has grown a good bit over the past 6-12 months.  You might be able to get a slightly lower rent amount if you commit to a 2-year lease versus a 1-year lease too. 

Back