Din Tai Fun coming to SCP!

I saw that...wife and I went toe DTF in Arcadia one time and was annoyed because they made us wait for 30 minutes and then told us that they "ran out" of dumplings and we would have to wait another 30 minutes.

We left.

Irvinecommuter said:
I saw that...wife and I went toe DTF in Arcadia one time and was annoyed because they made us wait for 30 minutes and then told us that they "ran out" of dumplings and we would have to wait another 30 minutes.

We left.

Please don't abbreviate the name as DTF

shore-1.jpg

SoCal said:
What's a Din Tai Fung and why are we excited?

It's a place where all Asians and wannabe Asians wait for 30 mins to  at least to get dumplings. Sometimes even more. Sometimes they might not even get dumplings.
Kidding aside, it's a dumpling place from Arcadia. One of the best I have ever been to. It was close to where we lived, and on the way from after school to home- we were regulars. The owner even taught the older one how to use chopsticks (they had training sticks for kids). I didn't know it was world famous until we moved out :p

Been eating it since the original TW store, remember walking thru a narrow corridor with steam baskets everywhere, it was a memorable experience for a 5 year old.

absolute best steam pork dumplings!  i have never had any other XLB that have even come close to DTFs.. definitely worth trying if you haven't.

woodburyowner said:
absolute best steam pork dumplings!  i have never had any other XLB that have even come close to DTFs.. definitely worth trying if you haven't.

I've never had a pork dumpling or an XLB. Actually, I think I've had a potsticker from the freezer section at Ralph's once. Does that count?

SoCal said:
woodburyowner said:

I've never had a pork dumpling or an XLB. Actually, I think I've had a potsticker from the freezer section at Ralph's once. Does that count?

You're lost to me...do you have a steamer at home?  Usually any modern rice cooker will have a steamer basket function... buy some frozen XLB from Ranch 99 (be careful in the parking lot).. turn on the rick cooker.. make sure it's steaming.. put in the frozen XLB... 7-8 minutes should be sufficient.. mix your fav dipping sauce..(I actually like the basalmic glaze from trader's).. hot juicy pork dumplings for dinner.. don't oversteam.. if they start to look like sad melting snowmen.. throw em away.. oh almost forgot.. get some cabbage for the XLBs to sit on in the steamer basket.. otherwise they will stick and rip when you pluck them out.

My wife and her co-workers order from this chinese takeout place that delivers frozen dumplings by the bag to a destination of your choice.. My wife's co-worker did the dumpling/cash exchange out of a guys trunk in the work parking lot.. cracked me up when I found bags and bags of XLB in my extra freezer and she told me how she got them.. seems like black market dumplings

Ahhh... the cabbage makes sense. Thanks! Yeah, the one time I bought pot stickers (half-moon shaped things?) the bag said I could steam or saute in a pan. I picked the pan method. I followed the directions exactly. Big mistake. They all stuck and ripped so badly! It was a mess. Mind you, I had never had or even seen a potsticker. So, I trusted the bag.

One thing I don't get is - I thought these dumplings were appetizers. But it sounds like they are actually the entree??

Back