401k Advice

irvinehomeowner

I should probably ask someone I know in person this question but considering how smart many of the TI members are, I thought I would put this out there:

Currently my 401k is in some balanced fund that is part stock, part bonds... considering we may be on another stock bubble... where should I move my 401k to for the short term to preserve its value?

Thanks in advance.

i moved mine recently to a stable value fund. ill see how things go in the next six months and then decide to either go back into stocks or keep it in the stable value fund.

I'm a believer in diversification, so if all of your 401k is in ONE fund, I would change the allocation so that it's spread out over SEVERAL funds of varying compositions and risk profiles, based on what your 401k plan allows/offers.  Also depends on your age, so if you're younger you would have more in 'aggressive growth' funds, since you would be better able to make up for any potential losses with your greater income.

I need to check but when I first set it up, I picked a fund that diversifies but had a maturation date near my retirement date... so I think it's lower risk.

It is a single fund though, which I do want to spread out among multiple ones... just too lazy to "manage" them.

whatever you do, try to select the funds with the lowest expense ratios ... I have no experience with bond fund expense ratios but any equity fund with an expense ratio equal to or lower than the Vanguard S&P500 index fund would be fine...

Back