[IHB] Through the Lattice

The price is ridiculous, but frankly I'm surprised we don't see more people doing it.

At the rate everything is flying off the market, why not list your property at 140% of it's assumed value and just see what happens.  Maybe someone will make an offer for 10% below listing, and everyone wins.  ???

aquabliss said:
The price is ridiculous, but frankly I'm surprised we don't see more people doing it.

At the rate everything is flying off the market, why not list your property at 140% of it's assumed value and just see what happens.  Maybe someone will make an offer for 10% below listing, and everyone wins.  ???
Oh, there's plenty of those sellers out there right now.  Their asking prices aren't quite as crazy as this one though.  But for all we know, it may go into escrow next week because some FCBer falls in love with the home/view.  haha

USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:

But for all we know, it may go into escrow next week because some FCBer falls in love with the home/view. 

Exactly! So who are these cash buyers dumping all their cash on homes? Since public schools aren't really for rich, I am assuming it's not for awesome schools. Why not Newport beach or something nice? Why all cash- why? Isn't there a more suitable place to park money?

Cubic Zirconia said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:

But for all we know, it may go into escrow next week because some FCBer falls in love with the home/view. 

Exactly! So who are these cash buyers dumping all their cash on homes? Since public schools aren't really for rich, I am assuming it's not for awesome schools. Why not Newport beach or something nice? Why all cash- why? Isn't there a more suitable place to park money?

i recall IHS saying its a lifestyle thing for some of these rich folks.  proximity to asian restaurants/grocery stores which i dont think newport or laguna beach have. Safety wise they are all safe, but dont asians like to be among other asians (goes for any race i guess) and i dont think there are many of those in laguna/newport.

irvinehomeowner said:
Newport Beach does not have 2 Ranch 99s, 2 Capital Seafoods, 3 Korean markets, 2 Persian markets... etc etc etc.

If I can pull a permit for a ranch 99 in Newport Beach.. I will have the power of altering the ethnic landscape of the city.....?
Really IHO, it all comes down to grocery shopping? Wouldn't rich people have people doing stuff for them?

qwerty said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:

i recall IHS saying its a lifestyle thing for some of these rich folks.  proximity to asian restaurants/grocery stores which i dont think newport or laguna beach have. Safety wise they are all safe, but dont asians like to be among other asians (goes for any race i guess) and i dont think there are many of those in laguna/newport.
Yeah, too many whities in Laguna/Newport area.  :p

USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:

Oh yeah! To quote my mother, "it feels like you are in America" :p

Cubic Zirconia said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:

LOL, yea, what all u guys just said, and...

Probably some who have earned some money in Asia and want to park it in a safe area.  Some perhaps are young professionals who buy with help of parents/relatives.  So they aren't mega-rich, so probably wouldn't mind sending their kids to the Irvine schools.  They just hate to have any kind of significant debt and having to service it.  Newport beach is probably not as convenient for Asians if you have to do grocery shopping or dining.  I'm sure there are more suitable places to park money, but I think everybody understands owning real estate.  Not that many understand the various 'financial products' out there, and probably don't really trust them due to the last market downturn.  Also, they might also believe that RE is tougher for the govt to confiscate if things get really dicey, whereas money in the bank or investment accounts can be seized relatively easily.

jayl23 said:
Also, they might also believe that RE is tougher for the govt to confiscate if things get really dicey, whereas money in the bank or investment accounts can be seized relatively easily.

That might be another reason.. So no more movies about stealing billion dollar diamonds in a blue suede bag from rich Asians? ;-)

Cubic Zirconia said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
qwerty said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
aquabliss said:

Oh yeah! To quote my mother, "it feels like you are in America" :p

America in 2050 will look very different than America 1950.

Cubic Zirconia said:
jayl23 said:
Also, they might also believe that RE is tougher for the govt to confiscate if things get really dicey, whereas money in the bank or investment accounts can be seized relatively easily.

That might be another reason.. So no more movies about stealing billion dollar diamonds in a blue suede bag from rich Asians? ;-)
Why not? If u have a good story, all star cast, great choreography, and some good fight scenes, I'd go watch it.  ;)

Cubic Zirconia said:
Really IHO, it all comes down to grocery shopping? Wouldn't rich people have people doing stuff for them?
It's not just the grocery shopping. Like everyone else has alluded to... Newport just isn't "melting pot" enough.

irvinehomeowner said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
It's not just the grocery shopping. Like everyone else has alluded to... Newport just isn't "melting pot" enough.

does newport have any mexican bakeries?

qwerty said:
waiting for IHO racist comment  :)
That's not racist... that's factual. Much of the food consumed in SoCal (location not member) has been prepared/cooked by an ethnicity other than the style of food it actually is.

In Javier's, for example, the cooks are Chinese. :)

Back