For momopi

cameray

Reader pic o' the day, fish head edition

reader-maurice-s.jpg

Maurice in Anaheim sends in this shot of an apparent delicacy from his trip to the Far East. He explains thusly:

"Delicious grilled fish head at Duozuo, a sushi restaurant in Beijing, China. I hadn't had enough sake yet to try eating the eye."

This reminds me of a family dinner at a real authentic Chinese spot (I think in Artesia) that I was at with my stepmom, who is Chinese. There was some chicken dish that was served with chicken heads, and my uncle (vacationing from the Midwest) was just tickled pink, insisting on getting the heads to-go and bringing them home as a souvenir.

http://foodfrenzy.freedomblogging.com/2010/01/12/reader-pic-o-the-day-fish-head-edition/15303/

This sounds about as yummy as eating Balut...

[quote author="momopi"]Best part of the fish is meat around the "neck" or collar.
[/quote]
Not the eyeballs or brain? <!-- s:eek: -->:eek:<!-- s:eek: --> <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p --> :-X

ooohhh.. can I have the eyes? I can't believe someone dared me $20 to eat the eyes once... I grew up on fish eyes! I just love how you can peel away at the different layers until you get to the hard center of the eye ball...! oh.. oops :-X

I recall the first time I was served a fish with head and tail attached. It was very hard to eat it, until I did. A well prepared sole almondine will let you overlook a lot of things, even the fish staring back at you.

Back