Garage Epoxy

Folks,

I have received 3 quotes with different numbers for garage epoxy flooring

$1250 - 5 coat system
$920  and $770  - 3 coat system

I don't plan on doing anything too crazy in the garage that requires extra protection. Is a 5-coat system required? And, are these numbers reasonable or too high?

javacly said:
DIY - get the epoxy paint and flakes from Home Depot/Lowes, 3 coat should be less than $350.

If you are planning on parking your vehicles inside your garage, then the regular epoxy paint you get from Home Depot/Lowes will not hold up against the wear and tear. We used that for our garage and the area where the tire meets the floor, the epoxy has started rubbing off. Get the industrial/commercial strength epoxy for durability.

You can special order Epoxy-Coat (that's the brand) from Lowe's.  Some Lowe's will carry them in-stores for about 300.00.  These are much higher quality, 100% solid epoxy system.  It's harder to put on, since you need to be mindful of bubbles appearing during the curing process.  These are thick and hard for the bubbles to break through and flatten itself like the thinner water based epoxy system.  I had to watch the paint dry (literally) and use a shop vac/blower to blow on any bubbles that appears to pop them so they would flatten themselves out.  Once they've cured, it's as good as the professional systems and looks like it would last longer than the cheaper stuff.

bitmaster20 said:
javacly said:
DIY - get the epoxy paint and flakes from Home Depot/Lowes, 3 coat should be less than $350.

If you are planning on parking your vehicles inside your garage, then the regular epoxy paint you get from Home Depot/Lowes will not hold up against the wear and tear. We used that for our garage and the area where the tire meets the floor, the epoxy has started rubbing off. Get the industrial/commercial strength epoxy for durability.

Did you get someone to do it for you? How much did it cost?

Don't know how useful this is because it's been 5 years, but on our old 1-bedroom condo (that we've since sold) we had the epoxy coating installed via Home Depot and paid about $1100 for a 1-car garage. Sounds like that's a really high price now, but it seemed very high quality and durable and will probably last forever.

For our new home we'll be interested to find someone who can install such high quality epoxy without a high quality price.

There is a difference in garage coatings... while most are familiar with the paint with the dots in it... another type which is much more durable is the surface kind where they put a layer of small gravel-type material and then seal it. I've seen this in a few garages and this is the one that doesn't wear off because it's actually like another layer (like blacktop) in your garage.

socaltrojan81 said:
Did you get someone to do it for you? How much did it cost?

The painter who was doing some interior painting also did the epoxy. He charged $450 for the labor for a 3 car garage. I bought the material.

funny, recently got a flyer for a church group doing a garage epoxy fund raiser "starting at $495" haha.  what will they think of next...

We went with premier garage (~$1200).  Pretty happy with the results. 

I should mention the actual contractor via Home Depot was Rustoleum. After reading more, it sounds like we probably paid an acceptable price because it wasn't just a paint job on the floor; it was a 2-day job to first apply the base layer with the texture flakes then to apply the clear, hard layer after that dried overnight.

I'm hoping our 2-car garage isn't going to cost double the price, but even if that's the best price I can get, it'll definitely be worth it. The polyurethane coating is just sub-par [sic]. (I use "sub-par" as positive thing since that's what it actually is.)

akim997 said:
funny, recently got a flyer for a church group doing a garage epoxy fund raiser "starting at $495" haha.  what will they think of next...

I got quoted about the same for a 5-coat system by Vision Garage and probably going with them.

socaltrojan81 said:
akim997 said:

I got quoted about the same for a 5-coat system by Vision Garage and probably going with them.

Vision quoted me 1600 and told me that's his discounted price and that's as low as he is going to go.

broda said:
socaltrojan81 said:
akim997 said:

Vision quoted me 1600 and told me that's his discounted price and that's as low as he is going to go.

Hmm..seems a bit high. Try Vision Garage Flooring..really happy with the results. They do the garage floors for most builders in Irvine

socaltrojan81 said:
broda said:
socaltrojan81 said:
akim997 said:

Hmm..seems a bit high. Try Vision Garage Flooring..really happy with the results. They do the garage floors for most builders in Irvine

Vision Garage was the one who quoted me.  Here is his break down

2 car garage floor, granite style floor coating, per scope attached, 4 days, 5 layers- $1,400.00
64 L.F of stem walls- $225.00
Total Job Cost- $1,625.00

broda said:
socaltrojan81 said:
broda said:
socaltrojan81 said:
akim997 said:

Vision Garage was the one who quoted me.  Here is his break down

2 car garage floor, granite style floor coating, per scope attached, 4 days, 5 layers- $1,400.00
64 L.F of stem walls- $225.00
Total Job Cost- $1,625.00

Hmm..seems a bit higher ($200) than what I paid but then again your garage could be bigger. Mine is about 400 sqft plus stem walls. The extra for stem walls seems about right though. Does your garage floor need prep? Mine was new so some costs saved there.

I had an oil spill just last night..and boy was I happy that I got these floors done. Wiped with some paper towels and it came off super clean..

Back