Citrus Ranch Park Update

iacrenter

So it looks like the new Tustin park at Jamboree & Portola is complete. We are just waiting for the grand opening. Here are some photos from the Tustin City website...
http://www.tustinca.org/departments/parksrec/citrusranchpark.html

CitrusPark_New01.png

CitrusPark_New02.png

CitrusPark_New03.png

CitrusPark_New04.png

CitrusPark_New05.png

CitrusPark_New06.png

Here is the OC Register article about the new park from October 2009:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/park-211701-city-ranch.html?pic=1

Citrus Ranch Park nears completion By ELYSSE JAMES
2009-09-17 16:31:41

TUSTIN Citrus Ranch Park, the last park to be built in Tustin Ranch, is expected to open in January.

The $4.4 million park will be closed to the public for a few months after its expected completion in November to give the landscaping time to establish, said David Wilson, director of Parks and Recreation.

The 17-acre park at 1111 Portola Parkway has a citrus theme, and rows of nearly 1,000 lemon trees will line the topmost part of Citrus Ranch Park. The groves are among the last citrus groves in Orange County. A shaded, seated lookout point at the top of the hill will give visitors a panoramic view of the city.

The groves had 1,100 lemon tress but the city had to remove about 100 trees for construction access and because some were too diseased to save.

Residents won't be able to pick the lemons because the city is concerned about injuries on the irrigation lines and damage to the watering system. But the city is considering opening the groves up for public picking on certain days, and possibly having the fruit harvested and donated, Wilson said.

The city also is considering an annual day to celebrate the harvest, said Lisa Woolery, city spokeswoman. The park also will have a weather station, which will predict weather and help the city determine how much to water the plants.

A meadow has picnic spaces for barbecuing and sports. The park will have 96 parking spaces, two walk-in entrances off Jamboree Road and one at Tustin Ranch Road. Construction began in December.

A trail leads visitors past the two playgrounds and through the lemon groves to Vista View Point, the 235-foot lookout at Jamboree Road and Portola Parkway. From the lookout, visitors will have a view of the mountains, the county and on a clear day, Catalina Island and the ocean. The park is off Portola Parkway, between Jamboree and Tustin Ranch roads.

In addition to the viewing area, the park has a meadow, picnic tables, walkways, restrooms and two play areas, a tot lot for children ages 2 to 5 and a playground for children ages 5 to 12.

After Citrus Ranch is complete, the next park the city will build is a 25-acre sports park in Tustin Legacy at the former Marine base.

Information: 714-573-3000 or www.tustinca.org/departments/parksrec/citrusranchpark.html
? Copyright 2010 Freedom Communications. All Rights Reserved.

Thank you IAC! This looks great --- another great addition to the 714! <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

[quote author="IACRenter"] expected to open in January.
[/quote]

I just drove by the park today and saw a banner saying it will open in February (I think it said "mid to late" February.)

The pictures look really good.

According to its banner - Citrus Ranch Park will have its opening day on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 10 a.m. Only two more weeks away!

[quote author="SoCal78"]According to its banner - Citrus Ranch Park will have its opening day on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 10 a.m. Only two more weeks away![/quote]

I saw that banner too at the corner of Jamboree and Portola! It'll be cool!

[quote author="SoCal78"]According to its banner - Citrus Ranch Park will have its opening day on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 10 a.m. Only two more weeks away![/quote]

The City of Tustin twittered and FB'd about the grand opening, and also have it on their website...

http://www.tustinca.org/documents/CitrusRanchParkOpening2010.pdf

I'll probably plan to head up there to check it out with the daugther...let me know if anyone else is going to be heading over there.

CRPOpeningFlyer.png

[quote author="ck"]

The City of Tustin twittered and FB'd about the grand opening, and also have it on their website...

http://www.tustinca.org/documents/CitrusRanchParkOpening2010.pdf

I'll probably plan to head up there to check it out with the daugther...let me know if anyone else is going to be heading over there.

CRPOpeningFlyer.png

[/quote]

Very exciting--the park is looking great. My son will love playing in that big tot lot.

I imagine they will open the park before the official grand opening. If other posters could let me know when they take down the fences that would be great. Like any good TI member I like to get the insiders preview before the crowds come. ;D

Hey, guys. Why don't we make a "Talk Irvine Parent & Me Playdate" out of it. Cubic, Ck, IHO, IACRenter, Kayochan, RC, traceimage, etc. etc...?? We could do it that day or like IAC says, after that day (I don't know if it it's open before) when it's not as crowded.

[quote author="SoCal78"]Hey, guys. Why don't we make a "Talk Irvine Parent & Me Playdate" out of it. Cubic, Ck, IHO, IACRenter, Kayochan, RC, traceimage, etc. etc...?? We could do it that day or like IAC says, after that day (I don't know if it it's open before) when it's not as crowded.[/quote]
What about all the kids at heart? :'(

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]What about all the kids at heart? :'([/quote]

Big kids are welcome too. Just don't complain if I can't push you on the swing as high in the air as the smaller kids. <!-- s;) -->;)<!-- s;) -->

[quote author="USCTrojanCPA"]
[quote author="SoCal78"]Hey, guys. Why don't we make a "Talk Irvine Parent & Me Playdate" out of it. Cubic, Ck, IHO, IACRenter, Kayochan, RC, traceimage, etc. etc...?? We could do it that day or like IAC says, after that day (I don't know if it it's open before) when it's not as crowded.[/quote]
What about all the kids at heart? :'([/quote]

No bullying the smaller kids or taking their ice creams

I'll be up to going; got a meeting in the morning, but we should be able to swing by before 12... it'll be good to hang out at the old TR neighborhood again...

[quote author="StuffIt"]
What about all the kids at heart? :'([/quote]

No bullying the smaller kids or taking their ice creams[/quote]
Never...are they really having ice cream? <!-- s:eek: -->:eek:<!-- s:eek: -->

[quote author="StuffIt"]

No bullying the smaller kids or taking their ice creams[/quote]
Never...are they really having ice cream? <!-- s:eek: -->:eek:<!-- s:eek: -->[/quote]

I'm addicted to cookies and cream

It will be crowded that day, but after the opening, I would be up for a parent and me play date. For once I know some place that everyone is talking about in Irvine!

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia"]

It will be crowded that day, but after the opening, I would be up for a parent and me play date. For once I know some place that everyone is talking about in Irvine![/quote]

I would be interested in a play date but probably not the opening day--a little too scary for my toddler. I imagine it will look like a scene out of the 2009 Woodbury East re-opening <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

I received a couple PMs too. Consensus seems to be to wait until sometime after the grand opening. What works for everyone? I'll throw out a date... how about Saturday, March 13?

FYI - they have brought down the fences along Portola. You can get in from there, but the driveway is still closed. Maybe they wanted to give the public a sneak preview?

Back