2013: Finally a more diverse tablet field?

What tablet do you plan on buying this year?

• Baaa... iPad of course!

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • iPad mini... smaller is better!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Android 10" (this includes the bigger Nook/Fire)... Apple is evil!

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Android 7" (including 7" Nook/Fire)... the mini is evil!

• Surface (or Win8 tablet)... MS rules!

• Phablet... why buy two when you can get one?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

New year... new thread.

Here is the 2012 one for reference:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,2235.0.html

My summary of 2012 and outlook for 2013:

1. iPad still dominated the market. The mini opened up a new niche for Apple, gave people a lower entry point into the iPad world... and made the iPad more portable. Once they up the display to Retina resolution (and a faster CPU), I think it will be their best seller... even over the 10" iPad. If you're thinking of buying an iPad, either get the mini now... or wait a few months for a new mini... that's the best iOS bang for the buck.

2. Lower-priced Android tablets (which includes Nook and Kindle Fire) are great for Android. If 2013 really brings the magical $99 *quality* Android tablets that are rumored, Apple will lose more market share. Of the low priced tablets, while the Nexus 7 is nice, no SD card is really bad. At that point, I would go for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7". I would recommend the new Nook 7" because of it's 1440x900 resolution, but without a camera (at least a front-facing one for Skyping and kid fun apps)... it's still behind the Tab.

3. Win8 tablets? If you're looking to buy a notebook... I would highly recommend a convertible one. This way you can have your tablet and eat it too. The MS Store has an Acer VivoTab for only $399 that includes the docking keyboard (that doubles battery life). It only runs WinRT... but at $400... really hard to beat that price. For the full Win8 experience, the Acer Iconia W510 is pretty good... and you can buy a docking keyboard that also has its own battery. I would recommend the Samsung ATIV because the Pro version has 1920x1080 resolution, but it's pricey and the keyboard does not have a battery.

4. What about the Surface? I think MS overpriced it in my opinion, especially the RT version (which is the only one out now). MS thinks they can be Apple and make a 40% markup on their hardware... didn't they learn from Android? If the Surface was $249-$299... that would have been better... but at $499 (and you have to pay extra for the keyboard cover), people would rather stick with an iPad. In fact, they should have made a 7" version at $199 to compete with Android and be cheaper than the iPad mini.

5. What is a phablet? Well... it's those giant phones you see people carrying around. It has a screen bigger than 5" and usually has pen input. The best known is the Samsung Galaxy Note series (the Note 2 is the latest one). While I hate big phones... I like the portability of a small 3G/4G connected tablet so this is something I can use. LG came out with one (that no one really noticed)... and there will be more to come.

In the IHO household, I think we'll get a $99 Android if it ever comes out, a mini (to replace our 10" iPad) and a Win8 convertible sometime this year. This way I can do a comparison of all the different tablet offerings.

So what tablet does 2013 hold for you?

iOS and the Apple Eco-System is why the iPad sells so well.  The UI is better and Apple products work seamlessly with each other.  Until someone figures out how to beat Apple in those arenas, iPad will remain king. 

I got the mini and have been very happy with the form factor/build quality. The only downside is the screen resolution. As a current iPhone 5 user, having a retina display is becoming the minimum standard. It does bother me not having super crisp text when viewing certain news sites. Not too much of a concern since I will probably sell it in less than a year when the retina version comes. That is the beauty of Apple products...very good resale ability.

iacrenter said:
I will probably sell it in less than a year when the retina version comes. That is the beauty of Apple products...very good resale ability.
That is their saving grace. Unlike all other tech products (although Galaxy stuff has some resale value)... Apple stuff seems to keep its value.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_...-a-refurbished-kindle-fire-tablet-for-$95.96/
Get a refurbished Kindle Fire tablet for $95.96

Note:  you should not expect an "iPad experience" with a $96 device.  I own a Kindle, Kindle Fire, and iPad 3rd gen.  The Kindle Fire (original) cost less for a reason.  It's fine for reading books and playing with a few apps, but web surfing is kinda clunky.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey0EGLhNj_s[/youtube]

After being adamant about her iPad 2 being good enough... after playing with the iPad Mini at the Apple Store this weekend, the Mrs. has decided that maybe we should get the Mini because:

a. It's lighter
b. It's more portable
c. The smaller screen makes the images look sharper

I laugh because that's what I've been telling her since it came out.

irvinehomeowner said:
After being adamant about her iPad 2 being good enough... after playing with the iPad Mini at the Apple Store this weekend, the Mrs. has decided that maybe we should get the Mini because:

a. It's lighter
b. It's more portable
c. The smaller screen makes the images look sharper

I laugh because that's what I've been telling her since it came out.

I agree with all except C. My only fault with my mini is the lack of text crispness versus my iPhone 5. By fall of this year that shouldn't be a problem--mini 2 is all but guaranteed to have a retina display.

By C, I meant looks sharper on the Mini vs. the iPad2 (which has the same 1024x768 resolution).

To put a 2048x1536 resolution on a 8" screen is actually amazing to me... but I guess now that they are putting 1920x1080 on 5" phones, I shouldn't be surprised.

irvinehomeowner said:
By C, I meant looks sharper on the Mini vs. the iPad2 (which has the same 1024x768 resolution).

To put a 2048x1536 resolution on a 8" screen is actually amazing to me... but I guess now that they are putting 1920x1080 on 5" phones, I shouldn't be surprised.

The other thing I notice is the WiFi antennae on my mini doesn't seem as good as my iphone5. I might be in the same room but seem to get faster throughput with my iphone. Not sure why.

Back