California Room changes

ajw522

Hi everyone - so I am wondering what my possibilities are with the California room. Let's say I purchase a brand new home with a California room, but I wanted a conservatory room instead. Since there is already a roof, would it be possible to have a contractor put up some drywall around the open areas of the California Room (open on 2 sides right now) so it would all be enclosed. How much would that cost?

Also, I would have to take the slider door out of where it would be in the house to make the opening, and then put a door in on one side of the new "conservatory" room.

Thanks a lot!

If it's Irvine or any other near new development in SoCal, your first step is getting approval from the HOA's architectural board.

Yes, if you have an HOA and CC&Rs, and if you have a California Room, you do, someone else has to approve anything you want to do. Particularly if you are going to modify the exterior of the home.

Well, it's gonna be in Woodbury, the only place where there are California Rooms (as far as I know), so there is an HOA. Do you think it will be difficult to get HOA approval? How much do you think it would cost/?

It could be easy or it may not be. The basic purpose of the HOA is to insure the continued value of the neighborhood in accordance with perceived image and compliance of the owners with the CC&Rs. In a nutshell, their purpose is to insure anything you want to do is up to the 'standards' of the community.

IOW, having a contractor slap up a couple non-supporting walls with sheetrock isn't likely to cut it. Often, the first step is presenting the architectural drawings, including artist renderings of finished state exterior views.

I see - well then, let me just ask this. Is it possible to be done? I mean, the California Room already has a roof and has posts supporting the roof, so I hope it wouldn't be that hard. Bottom line - Can it or can it not be done? If so, does anyone has an estimate as to how much it may cost to add 2 walls in?

It's been discussed before on the prior IHB. Your reasoning is pretty much the same suspicion most had there that the basic foundation is set to quickly and cheaply add a high margin upgrade such as the conservatory room or bedroom.

That said, nobody was sure if there wasn't a gotcha with the foundation or something that would create a code violation if the home owner did an upgrade post construction.

1. Is it possible? Yes. Absolutely.
You will have to be a salesman "pitching" your modification to a committee of other homeowners. Your job will be convincing them that your change will add value to the home and neighborhood, and not be an abomination. The easiest way to get this done is to stay within the same style and build-grade as the original. The more prepared you are (armed with plans, elevations, a reputablable designer to create and a licensed contractor to execute) the better your odds. Getting yourself on the HOA board ahead of time doesn't hurt your chances, either.

If you were in West Irvine, you probably saw this take place at the NE corner of Asbury and Robinson last year (or maybe the year before). Those owners are very happy with the addition and it is HOA-approved.

2. How much will it cost? Totally up to you.
It is never just the price, but always the package. Just like sushi - you get what you pay for. A.Y.C.E. for $3 sounds great, but don't be surprised if it is the gift that keeps on giving...

You should get bids from contractors before you buy the home to have an idea if this is actually something you want to pursue. Nobody likes surprises in real estate.

Good luck,
IrvineRealtor

[quote author="escrowbear"]Cant you just have the builder do it?[/quote]

To my knowledge, no. The builder must adhere to the original plans put forth by their master plan that was approved.

[quote author="ajw522"]Hi everyone - so I am wondering what my possibilities are with the California room. Let's say I purchase a brand new home with a California room, but I wanted a conservatory room instead. Since there is already a roof, would it be possible to have a contractor put up some drywall around the open areas of the California Room (open on 2 sides right now) so it would all be enclosed. How much would that cost?

Also, I would have to take the slider door out of where it would be in the house to make the opening, and then put a door in on one side of the new "conservatory" room.

Thanks a lot![/quote]

I thought all the builders that have the California Rm, made the Conservatory conversion an option. I just checked the New Home TIC website for Montecito, Sonoma, & Carmel.
http://www.villagesofirvine.com/Villages-And-Residences/Woodbury-Homes.aspx
Just click on the Interactive Floor Plans and then click the left button labeled "Add Room Options." Not sure of the costs yet.

Are you trying to compare costs of doing it yourself versus the builder?

Heh... I'm wondering if some people will "finish" that California Room on their own without telling their neighbors or the HOA.

Don't some people do hardscaping in their backyards without HOA approval?

Hardscape and a room addition or bulding modification are very different things. The key determinant is often a catch phrase in the CC&Rs with something such as "visible from the public areas".

Thus, the hardscape flooring of your patio the plants under the edges of the walls are not visible from the public areas where-as the plants on the front entry or a building modification that is visible over the height of the walls is governable.

In essence, the difference is in the hardscape, your neighbors have to be looking into "your [private property", in the building modification or unapproved items above the walls, people looking see it when looking at "the community" and such not necessarily looking into your 'private' property.

It's the grey area of HOAs where your relationship with the board and your neighbor's relationship with the board may be the deciding factors. And never forgot, it doesn't really matter if you are technically in the right. A board member with a bruised ego because of you is a very bad thing.

[quote author="IACRenter"]
[quote author="ajw522"]Hi everyone - so I am wondering what my possibilities are with the California room. Let's say I purchase a brand new home with a California room, but I wanted a conservatory room instead. Since there is already a roof, would it be possible to have a contractor put up some drywall around the open areas of the California Room (open on 2 sides right now) so it would all be enclosed. How much would that cost?

Thanks a lot![/quote]

I thought all the builders that have the California Rm, made the Conservatory conversion an option. I just checked the New Home TIC website for Montecito, Sonoma, & Carmel.
http://www.villagesofirvine.com/Villages-And-Residences/Woodbury-Homes.aspx
Just click on the Interactive Floor Plans and then click the left button labeled "Add Room Options." Not sure of the costs yet.

Are you trying to compare costs of doing it yourself versus the builder?[/quote]

All the builders have the option, but currently, the home I am interested in is at Montecito. They have already poured the foundations for the entire 1st phase (14 homes) and all have already begun framing. In order to have the Conservatory Room by the builder, the foundation has to be poured a certain way, but since the foundation has been poured for a California Room, the builder can't change it. Only after I take possession of the home is it possible. It would be much easier for me to have the builder do it, but I can't. <!-- s:( --:mad:<!-- s:( -->

I understand, but if you have an "agreement" with your back neighbor... you can skirt this.

I'm not condoning it... just saying we might see that happening depending on how much the builder charges to have it enclosed... more than a few will think of it... this thread is an example.

And... if you move into a phase that either backs nothing or backs a phase that hasn't been built yet, you can probably get that drywall up within a few days before anyone notices... heh.

Me, I would rather pay for it upfront since it would come with the warranty from the builder... but FCBs live by different rules so you never know.

[quote author="nosuchreality"]Hardscape and a room addition or bulding modification are very different things. The key determinant is often a catch phrase in the CC&Rs with something such as "visible from the public areas".

Thus, the hardscape flooring of your patio the plants under the edges of the walls are not visible from the public areas where-as the plants on the front entry or a building modification that is visible over the height of the walls is governable.

In essence, the difference is in the hardscape, your neighbors have to be looking into "your [private property", in the building modification or unapproved items above the walls, people looking see it when looking at "the community" and such not necessarily looking into your 'private' property.

It's the grey area of HOAs where your relationship with the board and your neighbor's relationship with the board may be the deciding factors. And never forgot, it doesn't really matter if you are technically in the right. A board member with a bruised ego because of you is a very bad thing.
[/quote]

But you can't see the California Room when looking at "the community".

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]I understand, but if you have an "agreement" with your back neighbor... you can skirt this.

I'm not condoning it... just saying we might see that happening depending on how much the builder charges to have it enclosed... more than a few will think of it... this thread is an example.

And... if you move into a phase that either backs nothing or backs a phase that hasn't been built yet, you can probably get that drywall up within a few days before anyone notices... heh.

Me, I would rather pay for it upfront since it would come with the warranty from the builder... but FCBs live by different rules so you never know.[/quote]

Please refer to my personal message.

[quote author="ajw522"]
[quote author="nosuchreality"]Hardscape and a room addition or bulding modification are very different things. The key determinant is often a catch phrase in the CC&Rs with something such as "visible from the public areas".

[/quote]

But you can't see the California Room when looking at "the community".[/quote]

That's the thing about HOAs and CC&Rs, it's irrelevant. The California Room was designed as part of the architectural persona of the community. Without approval, any modification will be considered not too. Another way of thinking of it is, if you did a really heinous job of the modification, could it impact the resale value of your nieghbors that could see it or any other members of the community that may see from any public area (sidewalk, street, bike path, green space, etc.)

I've seen HOAs get pissy over stuff that was done years before. If you're thinking of skirting the by-laws, I hope you're a good lawyer because you're going to be in a grade A pissing match where your opponent fines you and then turns you over to collection agency when you don't pay in protest.

Their next step is to lien your house, that's provided they don't justify just hiring the property management firm's vendor du jour to just do the work at no bid prices and send you the bill. In many instances, you'll find they have the right to do it. Such as your planting something unapproved in the front, if you get a change it note and don't, they will... you'll get the bill.

And most importantly, they have the right to force you to return it to the original configuration.

I'm not saying the HOA is right, I'm just warning you of the realities of living in an HOA community. You buy in an HOA to make sure your neighbor doesn't paint their home blaze orange and hang a mounted moose head over their garage door while parking the project truck on the front lawn. In exchange, you give up the right do whatever you want to your home.

Most importantly, the rules can change with the whim of the current board. If a prior board allowed something, they don't need to allow any additional occurences. You can fight with them on it if you want but ...

[quote author="nosuchreality"]
[quote author="ajw522"]

But you can't see the California Room when looking at "the community".[/quote]

That's the thing about HOAs and CC&Rs, it's irrelevant. The California Room was designed as part of the architectural persona of the community. Without approval, any modification will be considered not too. Another way of thinking of it is, if you did a really heinous job of the modification, could it impact the resale value of your nieghbors that could see it or any other members of the community that may see from any public area (sidewalk, street, bike path, green space, etc.)

I've seen HOAs get pissy over stuff that was done years before. If you're thinking of skirting the by-laws, I hope you're a good lawyer because you're going to be in a grade A pissing match where your opponent fines you and then turns you over to collection agency when you don't pay in protest.

Their next step is to lien your house, that's provided they don't justify just hiring the property management firm's vendor du jour to just do the work at no bid prices and send you the bill. In many instances, you'll find they have the right to do it. Such as your planting something unapproved in the front, if you get a change it note and don't, they will... you'll get the bill.

And most importantly, they have the right to force you to return it to the original configuration.

I'm not saying the HOA is right, I'm just warning you of the realities of living in an HOA community. You buy in an HOA to make sure your neighbor doesn't paint their home blaze orange and hang a mounted moose head over their garage door while parking the project truck on the front lawn. In exchange, you give up the right do whatever you want to your home.

Most importantly, the rules can change with the whim of the current board. If a prior board allowed something, they don't need to allow any additional occurences. You can fight with them on it if you want but ...[/quote]

Thanks for the detailed explanation! Yah, I would definitely not go behind the HOA's back for that. The only thing is I can't see why the HOA wouldn't approve it; I mean, builders are allowing it as an option (not applicable in my case), so shouldn't the HOA be OK with it? (i ask hopefully)

Back