Shutters

z4fanatic

I had a family referral come over this past weekend to provide a quote on shutters.  Coincidentally some random guy was walking around the neighborhood trying to promote his shutter company.  He asked if I had time for a quote, and I happily obliged since it's always good to have multiple bids.  The salesman seemed very confident on his pricing and said his prices can not be beat because they're a shutter manufacturer based on Norco, CA yadda yadda yadda. 

Long story short, the family referral quoted me 4300 for 23 shutters on 275.5 sq ft.  Or about 15.61 per sq ft

The random salesman quoted me 3400 for the same job.  Or about 12.34 per sq ft.

I remember in previous threads that USC's guy Tim was doing faux wood blinds at about 14 per sq ft, both of the quotes I received were real wood, so I'm assuming it'll be a little more expensive than faux.  The random guy's company was called E&J shutters, he said they've been in business for 15 years and are licensed/bonded. 

What worries me is that when I do a quick google search on E&J, there is not a single review on any of the work they've done, which is troubling for a company that's been around 15 years.

Both of these installers want 50% payment upfront, maybe I should just swipe a credit card so if anything goes sour I can always initiate a chargeback. 

What are your thoughts?  Do those prices seem in-line with the current marketplace?  Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

seems like a decent price.  I'm getting much higher quotes.  13 windows (forget sq footage) but got a quote for 5,000 and one for 4,300.  I don't want a bar and was told consistently that it was more expensive to do it that way (so I'm told).

I got hidden tilt for +1.00/sq ft and top/bottom split opening for +1.00/sq ft.  Total came out to 15.00/sq ft for me, and I also paid 50% up front.  I did mine through Tim, but it was before he started to flake on everyone.

As someone mentioned in the other shutter thread, you can contact Express Blinds (company that Tim used to work for) and get a quote from them...1-800-924-1097...ask for Young.

We went with Jose Napoles, the owner of Valentino shutter in Santa Ana.  The first time we used him in our old house, he didn't ask for any down payment on a 4K plus job.  We recently purchased another home and called Valentino again.  They are a bigger business now, so they asked for a 10% deposit.  We are happy with the quality of their work, but like most other contractors, once they are paid in full, they are always too busy to come back to fix the minor stuff.

I got 11 plantation shutters with frames for $2,500 installed.  The shutters are made in China, so it took 3 months from time of order to installation. 

i went with the same route zubs...  mine is taking about 5 weeks...  i also ordered combi shades...  hopefully it'll look nice... 

At first we were going to do all shutters then we went to the showroom and now we are doing shutters, vignettes and silhouettes. My wife thinks it will look good, she pointed out that model homes typically use a variety of treatments

Mixing up window coverings is always good... if we were getting into a new home (lucky you qwerty) I would probably do shutters on some spaces on the 1st floor, drapes/shades on others and drapes and blinds on the 2nd floor rooms.

@qwerty - we decided on the same...  all shutters would be overwhelming.  we're going with a mix of shutters, combi shades, and curtains...  speaking of curtains anyone know where they sell ones? 

z4fanatic said:
@qwerty - we decided on the same...  all shutters would be overwhelming.  we're going with a mix of shutters, combi shades, and curtains...  speaking of curtains anyone know where they sell ones? 

Plenty of them in Home Depot in Lowes, also try the JCPenney Home Store in Westminster.

The problem I run into with curatins is that most of them are 84". So if you have higher ceilings you might need the 95 inch ones.

If anyone knows of a good store that carries the 95 inch ones locally let me know.

Amazon also has a ton of them.

Floor to ceiling should be 108" curtains for 9' ceilings.  Took us awhile to find some we liked, it was at great indoors but don't think they're around anymore. 

ps9 - I have 9 foot ceilings, but wouldn't 108 be too long since there are gaps from the top and bottom?  Most places sell 84", would that be too short?

If you install the hardware right up at the ceiling, the drapes should just brush the floor, at least that was my experience.  Using 84" drapes would look like you're wearing high waters.  I know, I just replaced my 108" drapes with 84" and it looks like this.

highwaters_zps2009bef6.jpg

When I installed my 108" drapes, the brackets were about 2-3" from the top.  Installs are harder at this level too.. Probably don't need the plastic wall anchors since you'll hit a stud all along the top edge where the wall meets the ceiling.  Pilot holes are needed as well or you'll have alot of blisters the next day.  Using 108" drapes definitely make the room feel taller, it might bunch up a little on the floor, but if you tie it up (which we did most  of the time), it hangs perfectly.  I did my drapes when we first moved in to our first house years ago and it was a little intimidating at first (never used a drill prior).  I recommend installing on single panel/window drapes first to familiarize yourself with the hardware and drill (remember you're at the ceiling, not much room for a bulky drill).  Then move on to the multiple panel drapes that require a middle bracket for support.  Also get one of those laser level tools at lowes/hd.  A platform ladder might be needed if you have really wide windows.

Here's a link to sears where they have 108" drapes

http://www.sears.com/for-the-home-window-coverings-hardware-drapes-panels&Sears_42%20x%20108%20in._54%20x%20108%20in._50%20x%20108%20in._52%20x%20108%20in./s-1021907?filter=storeOrigin_Size%20(WxL)_Size%20(WxL)_Size%20(WxL)_Size%20(WxL)&keywordSearch=false&sortOption=PRICE_LOW_TO_HIGH&viewItems=25

the 96" have been too short and 108" too long (since i want to leave at least 5" for crown molding). ilm stuck in between

For people who ordered shutters from China like zubs or z4fanatic, how do you like those shutters? How is the quality? Can you share where you got those made in China shutters from?
I'd like to get a quote for my house too.....

Back