Neighbor's Trees

meganc

Hi,

My backyard neighbor has a tree in which branches are encroaching well into our yard & the leaves are falling constantly into our pool.  We regularly have to sweep the leaves & branches every day, but now it appears more as the branches are growing fast & further into our yard.  We had to pay over $500 for drainage & unclogging of the pool.

We went over to their house many times attempting to meet up with them & discuss about this issue, but they either are not at home or not opening their door.  We left a letter at their front door over 2 weeks ago asking them to kindly trim down their tree so that the branches are not overhanging into our yard, but so far no action or acknowledgement on their part.

Anyone has any advices on this matter?  Your input is greatly appreciated on how to motivate our neighbor in doing their part to trim down their tree.

Thanks!

You might have better luck on the Owner's Issues board rather than Tech Support. This topic can be moved by clicking the box on your lower-left while you're logged in.

Btw, I live on a fairly large lot with a lot of mature trees surrounding the property. I'm fine with maintaining the foliage which hangs over on to my side of the fence if the root belongs to my neigbor. I think some of my trees also shade my neighbor's yard and I haven't had them trimmed, admittedly. Then again, they haven't asked. I had a neighbor in the past who always sent her gardener into my yard uninvited / unannounced to take care of her trees. I did not like that! It is not nice waking up in the morning and standing in front of your window in your night-time clothes to see a strange man in your yard looking back at you like some kind of a prowler. If you take care of it yourself, you have control over how and when it's done.

How about just clipping the branches if you don't want them on your side.

Is this the kind of thing that turns into a neighborhood warzone issue.

Where you live is really important.

If you have an HOA check with the HOA.

Then check with the City you live in to verify regulations and laws.  (i.e. Santa Barbara has a rule that any tree over 14 diameter is a 'heritage' tree and has special rules.)

Finally, if you don't know the neighbors and are tired of trying to chase them down, send a registered letter laying out the situation,  you tried contacting them three times, the tree is damaging your property resulting in significant repair bills, etc.  And let them know you want to coordinate having the tree trimmed properly (which frankly is cheaper than the pool damage).  Let them know if they don't respond by date XYZ (two weeks?) you'll proceed with the trimming for those branches in your airspace according to city ordinance.

Or, just do it and let the chips fly.

I must say i was on the other side of this.... my Neighbor complaining the leaves that were falling into their pool........ they called the city and the resolution was that because the pool was installed after the tree already being in place that my neighbor should have done an environmental analysis before installing a pool.......... So you might want to think about that..... if the tree was there first you might not have a strong case to ask your neighbor to cut the tree..... but u can cut it yourself if it goes over your fence......

That seems silly.  Isn't it just a black and white rule that you're supposed to keep your tree on your side of the property line?  My neighbors let their trees grow wild.  I am considering cutting the branches and leaving them on their property.  I try to trim dead palm branches off my tree before they fall off.  I have no issue if a neighbor throws one over the fence for me to dispose of.  But picking up the occasional palm branch is much less work than sweeping up countless leaves every week.

Back