Amazon California Tax Day September 15

irvinehomeowner

Bleh on Jerry Brown.

Amazon is going to start charging CA tax this Saturday.

An article in the OCRegister is trying to spin it by saying that as a result, Amazon is going to build fullfillment warehouses in California to speed up shipping times.

Hmm... tax or faster shipping? Uh... I'd rather wait if something is going to cost me hundreds of dollars less.

Boo, was going to sign up for Prime, now probably not.. I end up buying more useless crap with the free two day shipping anyways..  Maybe this will help local B&M more, especially Best Buy.

Well...technically, everyone is supposed to pay a use tax on out of state purchases, but nobody does.  I think this type of legislation just evens the playing field for local businesses.  Don't get me wrong, I hate paying taxes and think we're over taxed, but we do need local, state, and federal money for schools, infrastructure, health care, military...etc.  Amazon's no tax benefit was pretty damn awesome, tho.

The no tax thing was a benefit for Amazon because many people don't like to buy certain items without seeing it first and then you have to wait for it to ship... so the "7.75% discount" helped alleviate that. Now this makes buying on Amazon less appealing.

I understand that this will help the CA economy and also local businesses... but I do think this will hurt Amazon on big ticket items like flat panel TVs, computers and expensive electronics.

I wonder if building shipping warehouses in CA is actually a good business decision for Amazon. I don't know who really complained about that before since they do have fulfillment centers in nearby states and like other posters have said... we still get it in 1 or 2 days. You would think instead of putting money into that... maybe a discount program for CA buyers like 5% on every purchase to lighten the tax load. It's win-win... CA still gets tax revenue and CA residents still get a tax discount.

Back