AT&T Uverse better than Cox?

Phbr123

We're moving into the Northwood nieghborhood and heard that we can now get AT&T Uverse instead of Cox.  Anyone else have any experience with Uverse?  Would you get Uverse or Cox?  My sister has Cox and I hate the guide.  Also not sure how the DSL is with AT&T vs. the cable internet with Cox.

Just took the plunge with AT&T u-verse, u300, 18mb download, phone for approx $125 per month, price good for 2 years, 1 yr minimum.  Getting $125 back in promo gift cards and $20 back from mrrebates.  Hbo/Cinemax free for 3 months, 30 days to "try out", free wireless receiver, $5 off per month for att wireless customers, installer available for Saturdays. 

keep hearing that ATT Uverse is garbage..  know someone in stonegate who has it.  says internet is slow, and that their router is a POS.  going with cox, which is weird, because i don't really like cox.

akim997 said:
keep hearing that ATT Uverse is garbage..  know someone in stonegate who has it.  says internet is slow, and that their router is a POS.  going with cox, which is weird, because i don't really like cox.

why dont you like cox? i only switched to DTV for the sunday ticket, but never had any issues with the cable/signal, the internet speeds were always pretty fast.

bones said:
ps9 said:
Just took the plunge with AT&T u-verse, u300, 18mb download, phone for approx $125 per month, price good for 2 years, 1 yr minimum.  Getting $125 back in promo gift cards and $20 back from mrrebates.  Hbo/Cinemax free for 3 months, 30 days to "try out", free wireless receiver, $5 off per month for att wireless customers, installer available for Saturdays. 

The U300 doesn't come with NBA TV or NFL Network right?  Do you know how much these add-on channels cost?  Also, do you know how much NFL Red Zone costs?  It's ok if you don't know, just curious and wanted to save myself a phone call. 

U300 comes with NBA TV but not HD and ditto for NFL Network, HD for both would be an extra $10/month.  NFL Red Zone is $7/month plus the $10/month for HD. (you also get a bunch of other HD channels). 

akim997 said:

WE had ATT Uverse about two years ago.  We loved it for TV.  I hated it for internet.  I currently have AT&T DSL in the new place.  I hate that.

Their network in both places suffered from jitter and sudden drops in performance and DNS problem.  As in it suddenly doesn't know who Google is...  I got so fed up with the networking that I hardcoded all my devices to use google's DNS since it was unreliable.

haha i just don't like Cox because it's expensive.  they wont give you better pricing, you are forced to go in every so often and ask for better pricing and/or threaten to leave...    I just did the same, asked if i could use their internet with direct tv and go the "why are you switching" questions.    ended up with $65 off my current bill with more features so I'm happy for now. 

I've heard complaints on Cox's "whole home DVR".    I dont have that now, but our current boxes have almost no recording capacity.  For example, I only had 3 recorded shows, and tried to record the Sunday singles matches of the Ryder Cup in HD.  It told me that I was out of space!  For the whole home DVR, my friend just had installed it and said there are noticeable delays in channel switching that his old box didnt have.  Also, its not like DTV or Uverse where you can watch other shows when things are recording (or something like that - he was trying to explain). 

Cox to me, seems really complicated.  I live next to the Woodbury store.  I've been there a couple of times and each time I've changed my package because of some new discount - but they could never really explain things to me of how pricing worked/ was structured.  To me, that's kind of annoying because I don't really know what my options are.

One issue I've been having with Cox is their cable boxes.  Every few months, I would need to take my box to the store and exchange it for a new one because the tuners are going bad.  I would not be able to get certain channels, or will have heavy pixelation.  After I switch out the box, it would be fine for a few months, and I would need to swap out the box again.  I have a feeling they're just taking these boxes back and putting them back in to the rotation without testing them, because I've been getting boxes where it would not tune certain channels right away.  If it's a channel I don't watch much, then I just leave it until a channel I do watch goes out. 

So AT&T was suppose to install u-verse yesterday.  The install tech showed up on time, and seemed competent.  But when he checked the signal strength coming into the house, he said it was too weak.  He will have to call in an "outside line" guy to fix the signal strength.  So this other guy shows up, apparently didn't know we were a new install and didn't do what was needed.  The first install guy calls me back and said that they will need to send another "outside line" guy out tomorrow Sunday to correct it.  He even asked if I will be available for meeting up for install since they can't do it Saturday.  So Sunday am, another outside line tech was working on the signal strength, I chatted briefly with him, he gave me thumbs up on signal strength, so now I wait for the first install guy to call me back to meet up.  I then get a call from AT&T call center to reschedule.  I call back and was told next install is in freaking November!  I tried to explain my situation, but AT&T call center customer service is a joke.  I happen to have the inside install techs phone, called him numerous times throughout the day with no success.  Even tried his boss number which he gave on his vm but again nothing.  Really frustrated now...might have to go back to cox

And now you know why I switched from AT&T.

For wireless phone, they are okay... but anything having to deal with your house, phone lines, etc... BLEH.

If Cox can't get TWC Sportsnet by Tuesday, I will be switching to U-Verse.  First 12 months will be cheaper than Cox, but 2nd 12 months will be considerably more on similar plans.

gaogi said:
If Cox can't get TWC Sportsnet by Tuesday, I will be switching to U-Verse.  First 12 months will be cheaper than Cox, but 2nd 12 months will be considerably more on similar plans.

I would give it a couple of weeks. The last thing u want to do is switch to a shitty provider only to have cox jump on board with the lake show in a couple of weeks

AT&T uverse install is about 2weeks out or longer due to technical issues like me, so you still might miss a few games

Manager called me back this am, install rescheduled for Tues, manager was apologetic...  Give them another shot.

Got my u-verse.. download is at 16 mbps for my 18 mbps plan..  got a 500 gb DVR, all the premium channels for 3 months and of course my laker channel.  so far so good.. the second install guy they sent was very professional, polite, and called me the next day to make sure everything is working. 

i have 3 500GB DVRs from direct TV, now they have the 1 Terabyte that can record up to 5 shows at once, vs the 2 shows on my existing DVRs. Ill be upgrading to that DVR if keep direct TV after December.

Tips on saving money:

- If you don't need very fast internet access at home, you can get a MiFi from T-Mobile for $20/month if you're an existing T-Mobile customer.  The MiFi will also cost you $100.  Non T-Mobile customers pay $30/month.  This will buy you 2 GBs of monthly downloads at 4G speed and unlimited at 3G+ speed, which is sufficient for casual web browsing and e-mail tasks.  MiFi's can support up to 5 WiFi devices at same time, and you can take it with you anywhere and connect your iPhone and iPad to it.  Much cheaper than iPad data plans.

The MiFi is not anywhere near as fast a cable modem, but you can still use it to download online videos & movies overnight and watch it the next day.  FPS games is do-able if you're in a good connection area in Irvine.

- In lieu of cable TV, there are numerous internet TV options such as Hulu, Netflix, Apple TV/iTunes, etc.  It's much easier to connect your computer to a TV today via HDMI cable.

- In future, I'll probably be moving back to Cerritos area, where you can easily get over the air channels with antenna (and Verizon FIOS, if you're a speed freak).  It's possible to do the same in parts of Irvine & with a good antenna, but your results will vary.  My wife works for SCE and she has to endure 3 hour commute daily to Irvine, so it's time to move.  Sadly, my short commute to work in Irvine will turn into a longer commute on the 605-405...  and Cerritos is a tougher RE market to buy than Irvine.
http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/ca/cerritos/over-the-air/90703

Back