GATE

abcd1234

How important really is GATE?  What if your child is more science/math gifted and less so in English?  Isn't there an Honor or some faster-track math program when they get to middle school- and then they do the AP math/science in high school?  When are they tested for that?  Does it really matter to have GATE on the transcripts?  I know we as parents are waiting for these STAR test results- I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

STAR results! We totally forgot about them.. As it is TUSD gets it two days after IUSD. Any idea when they will be announced? School already started in a few school districts.

GATE doesn't make any difference to the Honor Roll or Honor classes. Both are different. STAR results, previous year's class performance and teacher recommendation decide Honor classes.

Cubic- you say GATE and Honors are different, but which is BETTER?  Does GATE really make a difference?  If your kid is in Honors classes for math in middle school- isn't that just as good?  I could see a totally gifted math kid do better in an honors class than a "classified GATE" person who maybe just got that 460 in math to classify in GATE.  I guess my question- can a GATE person not be recommended for an Honors math track class?

Of course! Lot of GATE kids don't get a good grade, or make it to Honors, and vice versa.
GATE is just to identify that the kid thinks differently, and has special needs. Honors is purely academic performance. You cannot compare both.

I see a thread for GATE but not one for APAAS.

An IUSD parent recently contacted me asking if he could hire me to tutor the child who is in APAAS.

APAAS stands for "Alternative Program for Academically Advanced Students". Supposedly the student has advanced intellectual ability. It goes beyond what GATE offers. You can read more here:http://www.iusd.org/parent_resources/gate/apaas.html

Does anyone here have kids in a GATE program? Is it more work than the regular one?

I think that's why the FCBs pay more for gated villages, they think it will automatically get their kids into a GATE program just like Irvine schools will get them into an Ivy.

If TIC really wants to make money, they should build an ivy-covered gated community.

irvinehomeowner said:
Does anyone here have kids in a GATE program? Is it more work than the regular one?

I think that's why the FCBs pay more for gated villages, they think it will automatically get their kids into a GATE program just like Irvine schools will get them into an Ivy.

If TIC really wants to make money, they should build an ivy-covered gated community.

So you're saying the community gates and GATE are different?  mannnnnnn

Hi IHO,

My kid is in GATE program but not in Irvine.  She has been always in GATE since 2nd grade so I don't know if the work is more than regular class.  One thing I know though is that my friend has kids in one private school in Anaheim and they have way more works than my daughter's class.

My brother was in gate and I wasn't.  He was 1 grade above me.  He did more work than I did, and had to do a speech about Lyndon B Johnson at a school assembly.  I didn't have to do shit.  That's all I remember about the GATE program in Anaheim back in the 80s.

Actually, I remember they also had cool science projects in their classroom...Mine, not so much..

I am very curious about what the APAAS is since we don?t have that in our school district.  Ok since in another thread my identity was questioned (never expected that!), I will disclose more facts about me.  >:D We are with SVUSD, and they cluster GATE students in the same classroom starting from second grade.  I found this is very effective for both students and teachers and it costs almost nothing to inspire students who are GATE identified.  The kids are just placed together and inspire each other with the help of the teachers.  I wonder why this is not a norm for other school district as well.

meatball said:
I am very curious about what the APAAS is since we don?t have that in our school district.  Ok since in another thread my identity was questioned (never expected that!), I will disclose more facts about me.  >:D We are with SVUSD, and they cluster GATE students in the same classroom starting from second grade.  I found this is very effective for both students and teachers and it costs almost nothing to inspire students who are GATE identified.  The kids are just placed together and inspire each other with the help of the teachers.  I wonder why this is not a norm for other school district as well.

Both of my kids are in APAAS now. The main differences I can see are:
1. Math. Basically one year ahead. My older one finished Holt 6th grade at 5th grade.
2. Language. Teachers will concentrate on different writing styles. A lot of reading and writing (like quarter projects before coming to APAAS) are required.
3. Students are super-encouraged to express their own thoughts and logics.

Interesting to also note-- each of the 6 APAAS sites run differently.  Some sites advance Math by 1 entire year (as Kiki mentioned above)-  other sites stick to the current Math track of the grade they are in.  Others are somewhere in the middle. 

Best thing about GATE program back in HS was that we were able to take classes at Cerritos college and attend seminars at UC Irvine.  They provided a bus for us to attend college level class at the local JC, which was an eye opener for high school kids (me).

After attending classes with working adults and retired seniors, you realize all the stupid cliques in HS are just temporary child play.  Much bigger world out there.

Back