Calorie Counting App

socal78

I've used an app from "Fat Secret" to lose 30 lbs. twice in the last two years. I say twice because I lost the SAME 30 lbs. each time.  :-\

The app itself is the best thing since sliced bread (no pun intended). However, I noticed when I moved from Irvine to my new home up in the hills, the program was crashing all the time. We get a pretty bad signal up here. So, it wasn't working, I stopped using it, and I gained. I tried going back to using their website but the math and tracking was so much work. When the app did work on my phone, I was totally obsessed with it. Entering every little thing. Beating myself up if I was 10 calories beyond. I would pick apart a recipe, ingredient by ingredient, and spend 45 minutes entering it onto my phone! Crazy! Let's not even get started on how ripe a piece of fruit is! I'd pick a banana more green / less ripe, so it has less sugar. Or, get scared if the apple I entered does not match the calories shown depending on size and how much starch. I don't want to get that bad again.

I visited the doctor yesterday. In the three weeks following my surgery, I've put on 6 lbs.!  :eek: THAT'S JUST THE FIRST THREE WEEKS! I hear some people who have their gallbladder out, have a side effect that is like a gift from baby Jesus -- weightloss without trying. That is due to the inability to digest fats as efficiently. The rest... like 75% usually have weight gain following the procedure. I was crossing my fingers, hoping I'd fall into the first camp. No such luck.

So, now, I feel like a bloated sausage and my skin / sausage casing is going to burst. Lovely image, isn't it?? Being immobile following surgery didn't help, but it's my own fault. I should have kept it reigned in. I intend to. I'm hopping back on the App Wagon!!

I also got a new phone which I have yet to use. I hear it gets a better signal. I hope so.

Fat Secret is cool. It has a large database of foods even from restaurants. I LOVE the barcode scanning feature.

Does anyone use a calorie counting app they love with any new features?

Does anyone on TI want to participate in a weight-loss challenge?? Free ice cream for the winner.  ;)

irvinehomeowner said:
Real men don't count calories... only scores.

Not sure what you mean. Is your scoring system similar to what Weight Watchers does where calories are converted to points?

SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Not sure what you mean. Is your scoring system similar to what Weight Watchers does where calories are converted to points?
Well... typically (unless you're golfing)... the higher score wins... not sure you'll lose weight by eating the "winning" foods.

irvinehomeowner said:
SoCal said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Well... typically (unless you're golfing)... the higher score wins... not sure you'll lose weight by eating the "winning" foods.

So funny. I still have NO IDEA what you mean. I must be slow today.  :) Are we talking about the same thing? FWIW, you don't have to do the calorie-counting method if you want to join in a weight-loss challenge. You can pick any way you want to do it, if that's what you mean. Am I getting warmer?

homer_simpson said:
I use MyFitnessPal to keep track of calories.

I'll participate in a weight loss challenge!

Yay, Homer!

What do you think would be a fair way to do this: pounds or BMI? BMI would allow us to account for differences in height. Not sure about gender, though. Women typically have a higher body fat percentage. I'm sure my body fat percentage is WAY higher than yours or IHO's. I'm open to suggestions. I'd also rather not disclose my weight in pounds or BMI number, but I'm fine with disclosing the change in numbers, even though if I state the number of calories I'm consuming, you all could figure out my weight doing reverse math.

Join us, won't you, IHO?

+1 for MyFitnessPal.
I don't know how much more I can lose though. 23lbs down already from May 1st, and close to hitting a plateau, crashed my diet multiple times with good 3000 calories three course meals :) I will still join just to keep an eye on you guys though!

SoCal - my mom ballooned after the gall bladder went out. Research more..

Cubic Zirconia said:
+1 for MyFitnessPal.
I don't know how much more I can lose though. 23lbs down already from May 1st, and close to hitting a plateau, crashed my diet multiple times with good 3000 calories three course meals :) I will still join just to keep an eye on you guys though!

SoCal - my mom ballooned after the gall bladder went out. Research more..

I know - I'm terrified!! I'm already not a naturally thin person by any means and now with this, it is so scary. As if it wasn't hard enough before! I didn't have much choice when it came to surgery, though. I needed to have it out because it could eventually kill me. Good thing. The pathology report showed it had chronic inflammation. In the days before the surgery, it got so much worse all of a sudden. I was having constant gallbladder attacks. In the end, I'd rather be fat than dead. Uh... I think. Let me think about that some more.  ::) When I lose weight, I'm so paranoid it will come back. Once you stop seeing the scale drop, there's not as much motivation and it becomes too easy to stop trying so hard.

Absolutely! You have to do what's important to stay alive first. You will do fine, just get a grip on carbs/calories/cardio, know what works best for you, and stay motivated! If I say SBUX, say caramel Machiato only ;)

Hmm... maybe someone removed my gall bladder while I was under for my knee operations... so that would explain the extra weight?

@SoCal: What I mean is usually, for guys, the one with the highest score wins. So, that means, if we start counting calories, we are going to eat the food with the highest calories (or points), which is counterproductive.

CZ: Are you at your goal weight now? I've seen your pics. You look great. 

What's the method you've been using besides all the hikes? Counting any calories or carbs?

SoCal said:
CZ: Are you at your goal weight now? I've seen your pics. You look great. 

What's the method you've been using besides all the hikes? Counting any calories or carbs?

Weekly hikes, cardio twice a week, strength training once a week.
Protein 40%, Carbs 30%, fat 30% is the guideline. Counting calories too, but if I am on right track with the protein, I don't worry much about the number. Once a week I binge.. That's all. And Caramel Machiato no more than two times a week..

Goal is changing :) I lost everything gained since last year's health fiascos and much more. Have rolled back to pre-R2 weight...let's see if I can roll back to pre-R1 weight though. Goal is to fit into my wedding dress before our anniversary.

Ok, so myself, homer, CZ, and IHO(?) are going to participate. Anyone else? Come one, come all!

Let's start soon.

How about we set it for the end of the year, Dec. 31. I would suggest calculating it as they do on The Biggest Loser. A percentage of body weight. Example: IHO is 200 lbs. He loses 10 pounds. That is 5% of his body weight. The rest of us lose less of a percentage, so he would win. Is this good with everyone?

irvinehomeowner said:
Hmm... maybe someone removed my gall bladder while I was under for my knee operations... so that would explain the extra weight?

@SoCal: What I mean is usually, for guys, the one with the highest score wins. So, that means, if we start counting calories, we are going to eat the food with the highest calories (or points), which is counterproductive.

Oh. The one with the highest blood pressure wins. I see.

"Last one to the grave is a rotten egg!" ~ Nobody Ever.

Check in monthly?
We should kick off the program at Nothing Bundt.. :)

SoCal said:
Ok, so myself, homer, CZ, and IHO(?) are going to participate. Anyone else? Come one, come all!

Let's start soon.

How about we set it for the end of the year, Dec. 31. I would suggest calculating it as they do on The Biggest Loser. A percentage of body weight. Example: IHO is 200 lbs. He loses 10 pounds. That is 5% of his body weight. The rest of us lose less of a percentage, so he would win. Is this good with everyone?

Cubic Zirconia said:
Check in monthly?
We should kick off the program at Nothing Bundt.. :)

Yes, great idea. Let's post our monthly stats.

LOLLL!! I want to eat a bundt cake but don't want my abdomen to look like one.

Do you guys want to bet money? I wouldn't mind kicking a few bucks into a pot for the winner. How's $50? Second idea: the losers have to post a bikini or swim suit shot of themselves before and after. That should motivate everyone to not fail.  :p

I have a busy, busy night ahead and have to go. I'll check back later to see who's in!

irvinehomeowner said:
Wait... I thought whoever eats the food with the highest calorie count (score) wins.

Eat more, weigh less. Let's go on Bundt diet!
Winner will be treated to 5000 calorie meal, and losers will pick on thir salad :p

Back