Shopping with Baby

cameray

I was checking out this week's grocery specials and stumbled on to this - LMAO

shopping_with_baby-13309.jpg

http://ocdeals.freedomblogging.com/2009/12/02/this-weeks-grocery-specials-for-dec-2-8/30269/

LOL!

My toddler refuses to stay in the proper seating area. Either he wants to push the cart himself, sit with all the groceries, or have me carry him. I do appreciate those kid size carts and car type carts when they are available.

I was all set to offer my favorite bit of advice to new moms: Always, always, always shop at malls with a Nordstroms. They have the best bathrooms for nursing moms!

I am still amazed at how many parents put their kids directly into the sitting area of the cart with no protection. So many germs. My son is 7 months and he is touching everything, putting his hands in his mouth. So dirty. We have a super duper protector that we insert into the cart and then he sits in that. Very clean and safe and fun.

Yeah, did that germ-free cart thing for the first two years with child #1, the first year with child #2. If there were a child #3, I'm sure I wouldn't do it at all <!-- s:eek: -->:eek:<!-- s:eek: -->

I think after a while, you lose that sense of fear of germs.

With our first, we had those high chair/shopping cart protectors and used them religiously, but after a while it became a nuisance. With our second, we hardly used it and low and behold, he did not contract some incurable disease.

I'm not disparaging anyone who still uses them (someone I know stopped using it on her 2nd kid but started using it on her 3rd) as it is safer... I'm just relating what our personal experience is and how you worry less with the later kids (as a sidenote, the drive home from the hospital with our first, it was probably the most careful and slow I've ever driven, like when I first got my license... with the 2nd, it was back to normal).

[quote author="Minimorty"]I am still amazed at how many parents put their kids directly into the sitting area of the cart with no protection. So many germs. My son is 7 months and he is touching everything, putting his hands in his mouth. So dirty. We have a super duper protector that we insert into the cart and then he sits in that. Very clean and safe and fun.[/quote]

I'm amazed how many parents place their bowel-control-lacking dirty children in a cart without protection. That's where I place the food I will later consume. So dirty. <!-- s:p -->:p<!-- s:p -->

Heh, I love the flailing legs in the DON'T picture!

I bribe my son with food (Cheerios, animal crackers) to sit calmly in his stroller or shopping cart. It buys me a few more minutes of shopping time before he starts yelling, "COME OUT PLEASE! COME OUT PLEASE!"

Germs. I always said I never met a germ I did not like.
Kids are going to ingest and expose themselves to anything and everything. Let them build up their immunity. You not going to be able to watch them 24/7.

When my son was about 1 year old he had a something called
a Meckel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meckel's_diverticulum

When they "scoped" his digestive tract. You would not believe
what was inside that kid. He had been walking about 6 weeks.
Parts of houseplant, Crunchy Cat food, some small beads, and god knows what else. The Doctor said that he considered my boy to be rather clean inside. Normally he says its MUCH worse. At least he had no spare change or small toys in him. He explained that at this age kids will eat anything they touch. Normally without any issues.

From experience. Don't be a germ freak. Our human system has become very good at fighting off infection after millions of years of evolution. The threat is from the over use of Antibiotics and too much crappy hand cleanser.

[quote author="irvinehomeowner"]I think after a while, you lose that sense of fear of germs.

With our first, we had those high chair/shopping cart protectors and used them religiously, but after a while it became a nuisance. With our second, we hardly used it and low and behold, he did not contract some incurable disease.

I'm not disparaging anyone who still uses them (someone I know stopped using it on her 2nd kid but started using it on her 3rd) as it is safer... I'm just relating what our personal experience is and how you worry less with the later kids (as a sidenote, the drive home from the hospital with our first, it was probably the most careful and slow I've ever driven, like when I first got my license... with the 2nd, it was back to normal).[/quote]

I have to agree with IHO here. We started with boiling to sterilize all our baby bottles for our 1st kid. By the second child we used the two second rule <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->

See? I'm slowly changing my evil ways. I was about to post a picture of a dog choke-chain as a suggestion to keep the toddlers in line... but decided against it.

But glad to see there are still some sane parents out there who understand the need to expose children to germs/virii at a young age.

There are actually studies showing that children who are over-protected do worse in school. Its quite interesting. You see, the lack of exposure to the bacteria and viruses make them susceptable later on when they are on school and have no choice but to be exposed. The non-protected children have already been exposed and have immunities to many (though not all, of course) illnesses, while the previously protected children get sick much more often. The study showed that this really manifests by the 2nd and 3rd grade, where the core fundamentals for math and writing are taught. The significant increase in missed school days causes these particular children to lose out a bit during these years, thereby putting them behind (at first in skill and then in confidence) for the rest of their academic career.

The actual differences were not alarming, but were quantifiable. Just something to think about when you keep you kid uber-isolated. Better get it out of the way while they're young and not being taught long division.

EDIT: While my quick-search did not bring up the specific study right away, I found another correlating study. Its actually the same concept, but relating to a specific, serious disease. The short abstract says it all.
http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/node/3535

Back