San Mateo 3 or San Remo 1?

Looking at floorplans alone, here are my $0.02's

7cdbec78.jpg

San Mateo 3

+ optional conservatory to expand the living space (kid space)
+ more kitchen counter space

477bb3cc.jpg

San Remo 1

+ walk in pantry
+ powder room in a more private location
+ optional fireplace
+ shorter, straighter distance from garage to fridge
+ master "throne room" has a window :)
-  master bedroom is close to stairs
-  master bath has dead space

If we have four little ones, additional living space is a must, San Mateo with the enclosed conservatory is a no brainer. 

Those are my exact thoughts too. The conservatory is a huge plus, but what about the location? Stonegate being 2 miles away from the landfill concerns me, but of course laguna altura is extremely close to freeway.

IrvineHomeBuyer said:
Those are my exact thoughts too. The conservatory is a huge plus, but what about the location? Stonegate being 2 miles away from the landfill concerns me, but of course laguna altura is extremely close to freeway.

Hmmm.. landfill vs. freeway.. I call it a wash.  If it was me, I would pick Stonegate since Portola Springs will always have more stigma of the two landfill affected villages.  Laguna Altura, despite the elevation, has no view.  It will always be inferior to Quail Hill. 

I assume the focus would be the kids?  Stonegate elementary is across the street and definitely walkable.  Alderwood plus?  It would be a nice morning hike over to Quail Hill.  Speaking of hikes, the Laguna Altura pools are pretty far from San Remo, and walking past all those Cortona driveways would drive me bonkers.

If you're looking at San Mateo II, one thing to consider is that it's closer to the intersection of Sand Canyon and Spring Meadow, where the garbage trucks will stop at red lights.  A truck that is accelerating from a stop light makes much more noise than one that is up to speed and is just cruising.  I would go stand at the construction site and make sure the noise doesn't bother you.

really depends on the lifestyle u and ur wife are looking for... since sq footage and price are kinda similar for the 2 floorplans... do u prefer community feel or detachment from the human race?

i preferred detachment, so i bought san remo instead haha... (i also work from home 50% of the time, so the quiter the neighborhood during the day, the easier for me to focus)

Ok so we visited San Mateo again today and  drove by the Frank Bowerman Landfill to see exactly how close by it was. It was literally a block away. This is extremely disturbing. Stonegate is just as close to the landfill as Portola Springs, it might even be closer.

bones said:
IrvineHomeBuyer said:
Ok so we visited San Mateo again today and  drove by the Frank Bowerman Landfill to see exactly how close by it was. It was literally a block away. This is extremely disturbing. Stonegate is just as close to the landfill as Portola Springs, it might even be closer.

The entrance road to the landfill is closer to Stonegate but the actual landfill is closer to Portola Springs.  Look at google maps.  You can clearly see in the satellite image.

Your right. Stonegate is about 1.5 miles to the actual landfill, portola springs is about 1/2 mile.

Is anyone in that plan not concerned about the landfill!!? I have little ones and the landfill filters right into the reservoir which I assume is where we get our water? I'm not scientist but that doesn't sound like a good idea for me or my kids. I really like San Mateo but am having huge reservations about living next to waste.

Of course people buying million dollar homes aren't concerned about it ie Lambert Ranch, so should I be!?

changm55 said:
really depends on the lifestyle u and ur wife are looking for... since sq footage and price are kinda similar for the 2 floorplans... do u prefer community feel or detachment from the human race?

i preferred detachment, so i bought san remo instead haha... (i also work from home 50% of the time, so the quiter the neighborhood during the day, the easier for me to focus)

How do you like living at Laguna Altura? Is it inconvenient in anyway?

IrvineHomeBuyer said:
changm55 said:

we in cortona. so far so good.

Changem55 what did you end up buying? Seina, San Remo Cortona or Toscana?

I am leaning more towards San Remo....sucking up the high HOA just to live in a more exclusive community and paying a little more to have my home in an area not look like mass housing. I like LA location better and I don't mind living by a freeway. Also having peace of mind that I'm not living near "potential" hazardous gases.  So what the bowerman landfill is "high tech and well regulated"...in the end its still a landfill, devalues property values and it's the 9th largest landfill in the US.

velbon said:
IrvineHomeBuyer said:
changm55 said:

we in cortona. so far so good.

we are in cortona too, and like it so far too.

jamboreedude said:
What's the price difference between the San Mateo 3 and San Remo 1?

San Mateo is 614,900
- no landscaping
- option to upgrade to cali room or conservatory

San Remo is 661,000
- includes landscapig
- includes cali room

We did a calculation and monthly payment for San Remo was about 200-300 dollars more per month.

dnation said:
I like LA location better and I don't mind living by a freeway. Also having peace of mind that I'm not living near "potential" hazardous gases.  So what the bowerman landfill is "high tech and well regulated"...in the end its still a landfill, devalues property values and it's the 9th largest landfill in the US.

So you would not consider car emissions from the proximity to the freeway to be "potentially" hazardous gases?

qwerty said:
dnation said:
I like LA location better and I don't mind living by a freeway. Also having peace of mind that I'm not living near "potential" hazardous gases.  So what the bowerman landfill is "high tech and well regulated"...in the end its still a landfill, devalues property values and it's the 9th largest landfill in the US.

So you would not consider car emissions from the proximity to the freeway to be "potentially" hazardous gases?

An owner at cortona told us that the exhaust gases from the 405 freeway are being blown away from laguna altura community by the ocean breezes from the pacific.

qwerty said:
dnation said:

Also, it's not really an issue because Laguna Altura is buffered by the former Waterpark, which is now being converted into thousands of apartments by TIC, unless you are buying the Sienna's which are the closest to the 405.

Back