Roku

socal78

I got my husband a Roku for his birthday. You'd think that means I have some vague understanding of what it is. I didn't. A week later, I'm still no closer to understanding it. Not that I've really tried. I haven't. It's his toy, not mine. I gather it's some kind of modem. It's a strange little box. It makes FacePlace pop up on the TV. I don't want it on the TV. It will take my internet addiction to new heights. Scary. Anyway, I don't know why he asked for one. What it actually is good for, I don't really know. He said something about Netflix but I kind of took a mental vacation at that point, so... I'm not really sure.

Raise your hand if you know what a Roku is!

Are you saying it turns your TV into a computer screen and that's it? I bought a mini computer tower?? Oh, but get this. I hear you can't even play Youtube on it. How crazy.

The really confusing part is he uses his Android phone to control it. That was totally unexpected and way over my head. Now the phone is like a TV remote or something.

Of all the things I could've blown a hundred bucks on.  ::) Oh, well. His happiness is worth much more than that, so... Whatevs. If that stupid little thing floats his boat, then it's worth it.

It's also a media streamer.

Plug a USB or hard drive into it and you can play it on your TV.

And... depending on which version, you can play games like Angry Birds on it. :)

Mine is a small square box that I bought a year/ year and half ago. Streams Netflix, Youtube and Amazon videos. Quality is better that streaming them via Wii (which is what we did before for Netflix). It's not really rocket science, but I think Mr. SoCal is turning it into one by controlling it with his android :)

Tell me, if you get a new TV, will you still need a roku? Smart TV will come with surfing/ app features?

Cubic Zirconia said:
It's not really rocket science, but I think Mr. SoCal is turning it into one by controlling it with his android :)

Yeah, don't get me started on that. There's nothing he doesn't have the phone set up to do. We'll be sitting on the couch. I'll say, "I'm hot". Phone comes out. He touches the screen. A/C kicks on. Me:  :eek:

Back