[Poll] What type of trigger did you pull?

What type of home did you buy recently?

• New Attached Condo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Detached Condo

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • New SFR

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Resale Attached Condo

• Resale Detached Condo

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Resale SFR

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Out of Irvine Condo (attached/detached)

• Out of Irvine SFR

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Other

• I didn't buy... I just want to see the poll results (IHO option)

Votes: 27 42.9%

• Total voters
irvinehomeowner said:
So as an add-on to Irvine_Dreamer's excellent thread... "Who pulled the trigger in 2012?":
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,2964.0.html

I was interested in what kind of metrics we were looking at in regards to recent purchases. It seems by the thread that it skews more new than resale so maybe this will enlighten us.
Re-sale detached SFR with a driveway.  :D  My guess is that the majority of people bought brand new detached condo/SFR due to the inventory shortage.

USC... isn't yours a Resale SFR? I realize the categories are confusing but I was trying to distinguish between attached/detached condos and SFRs.

irvinehomeowner said:
USC... isn't yours a Resale SFR? I realize the categories are confusing but I was trying to distinguish between attached/detached condos and SFRs.
Opps....can you insert condo in there to make it less confusing?

I don't think I can change the poll (zovall?) but you can change your vote (I allowed that because I thought it might be a bit confusing).

i recommend deleted and redoing this one IHO. 

attached condo
detached condo
SFR

and replicate for outside irvine...ie: outside irvine attached condo, etc

Okay... I figured out how to edit it... you have to remove the poll and re-add it.

It nukes the votes... but there were only a few anyways. I also added in rkp's suggestion but clumped the condos together for outside Irvine.

Didn't pull the trigger in 2012. So joining IHO option.

We bought in 08- so far no one in the neighborhood has paid that low price, not even REOs sold close to that. Can proudly say I timed the bottom ;-) Waiting to pull the trigger on an investment property.. but moving so slow, it might take another year! There is no way I am buying in this summer frenzy. A few months down the lane will tell whether this recovery is reliable or not.

Jan/Feb of 2012 saw the bottom prices for many Irvine neighborhoods.

@cz: I'm actually surprised that no sale has gone lower than your buy price in 08. Have there been a significant number of sales in your area in the last 4 years?

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised... the home we sold in 08 seems to be holding steady too. There was one or two that sold below what we sold it for... but there are many more that have sold for higher since then.

Seems like certain areas/products in Irvine are immune... but that's why it's a Unicorn city... no visibly apparent premium like a beach although one could say that the Spectrum and the IBC are like our own little Silicon Valley.

A lot of properties have changed hands in my neighborhood. We also had four foreclosures, three of them flipped as REOs by the bank for profit. Another foreclosure happened a few days ago, bank is staging the property as we speak. But all of them have sold for a much higher price than our purchase price. Also, even though ours was a short sale, the house was upgraded nicely, and maintained well.

I think the North Park and associated area saw the worst in 08/09. For West Irvine it was end of 2011/early 2012. Woodbury also slid considerably around the time we bought.

does the poll show you which members responded to what IHO?  just curious on the setup of it...

rkp said:
does the poll show you which members responded to what IHO?  just curious on the setup of it...
Oh no... that would subvert the usage of a poll. It's supposed to allow anonymity and that's why I use them quite a bit. Where some people won't post an answer to a question, they will provide an anonymous stat to a poll.

I only see what everyone else sees... how many members voted and how many of each category.

I'm not really curious who bought where/what (I know some are)... I just wanted to see if people bought new or resale... and then decided to break that down to condos or SFRs.

We bought new because we were sick of looking (coming on 3 years) around.  just bit the bullet.  we are picky, so for every resale house we saw that we liked, we estimated $50-100K in improvements.  At the end of the day we just went new in Stonegate.  Stonegate wasn't anywhere near the top of the list.  PS/LR just "felt far" even though its 2 min away.  Laguna Alt was too pricey.    I still like Camelia, but wife chose new.  Done.  I go to the site every day, its coming along.  Overall experience was so-so, but just looking forward to getting into a place I can call "home". 

Interesting stats so far... 18 new to 5 resale in Irvine... and all detached.

Thanks everyone for voting... maybe I should put one up for a 3CWG so TIC can use it in their market research.

they'd use the market research against us.  They'd figure "what could we call a single family home" that is the least like a true family home that these idiots will still buy?  then they'd sell it to us... or they already have...  the 12 ft from my house to the back wall says it...

Back