[Poll] House of the Dead

Under what circumstances would you buy a house that someone died in?

• Death by natural causes

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Death by illness

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Suicide

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Murder

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other (not sure what other types of death there could be that I haven't listed)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nevarr!!

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

This one is macabre but some of today's discussion got me thinking about this.

The question above isn't enough... there are additional parameters... say you found the house with the perfect floorplan, in the perfect location AND it was 20% below comps... would you buy it knowing someone died in it? Would it depend on how that person died?

We might consider it if it was natural causes... but other than that... I think it would be very hard to live in a home where some one died prematurely.

If they died at an old age in the home it could be considered a good place. Too many things fall under natural causes for my liking, so I would press a realtor if they mentioned it.

Otherwise no.

I would assume that you would have to disclose it if someone was murdered in a house when you sell it.  But would you have to disclose that someone died of natural causes (old age, heart attack, cancer, etc.) in that house?

irvinehusky said:
I would assume that you would have to disclose it if someone was murdered in a house when you sell it.  But would you have to disclose that someone died of natural causes (old age, heart attack, cancer, etc.) in that house?

Yes, any person's death in the past 3 years has to be disclosed.

One spooky personal note:

I did sell one home where the former owner had been in hospice care at home and had passed away about 6 months prior to the sale. The home eventually went into contract, and was about 2 weeks away from the closing date, and I went to check on the home (making sure lights were off, no water leaks, etc.) 

When I opened the front door, I found every single cupboard, cabinet, and drawer throughout the whole house had been left open.
To my knowledge, I had the only keys to the home and everything was in order the last time I'd checked in.
What little hair I had stood on end and I could've beaten Usain Bolt out of that home that day.

-IR2

IrvineRealtor said:
irvinehusky said:

I did sell one home where the former owner had been in hospice care at home and had passed away about 6 months prior to the sale. The home eventually went into contract, and was about 2 weeks away from the closing date, and I went to check on the home (making sure lights were off, no water leaks, etc.) 

When I opened the front door, I found every single cupboard, cabinet, and drawer throughout the whole house had been left open.
To my knowledge, I had the only keys to the home and everything was in order the last time I'd checked in.
What little hair I had stood on end and I could've beaten Usain Bolt out of that home that day.

-IR2

It was probably the party with the backup offer trying to scare the other buyer away ;)

IrvineRealtor said:
irvinehusky said:

-IR2

When I was looking at houses, there was one house that was closed for showing (empty house) due to an active beehive that set up shop in the house.  I found the garage side door open and decided to have a look-see anyway.  The garage was huge, 1.5 car lengths deep and almost four cars wide.  There were three large water heaters running (thought that was strange) and two rooms built into the garage by the staircase going up to the main level (still can fit three cars in the garage.  Did I say the garage was big).  As I was walking through the garage, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up and I felt a chill go up my spine.  I got the distinct feeling that something did not want me to be there and was giving me a warning to get out.  I immediately turned around and speed walked out of the garage and closed the door.
I never felt that way in the hundred plus houses I looked at.  There was something really wrong with that house.  By the way, the house was in 'The Village' section of Coto.

So after 3 years even the murder house sellers don't have to disclose it?  I think most of us would have more hesitation if someone was murdered or commited suicide compared to passing away of natural causes.

I heard afterwards from neighbors that the previous owner (husband) died of lung cancer due to chain smoking.  I didn't ask where he passed away but I didn't see any disclosures.  Their financial situation went bad quickly after the husband died so I'm sure it was within 3 years.

Perhaps that house that had everything open was having a OPEN HOUSE...never mind.  :p  Time to call in the Exorcist?

IrvineRealtor said:
irvinehusky said:

-IR2

Someone actually voted for "Murder"... not sure if that was a serious answer but considering that homes with murder do sell... there are people out there who would buy one.

It makes me wonder what's going on with 8 Rainstar now that I know about the murder:
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/8-Rainstar-92614/home/4693819

I know it's vacant... it's been on the market for over 300 days and doesn't look bank-owned. Why don't the owners drop the price further? The only price change they had was $890k to $889k... a whopping $1000. I don't know if there is a mortgage and I would assume if there was, they would let it foreclose if it's anywhere near the list price... if not... just cut the price and hope someone buys it.

you dont have to disclose deaths to renters so an easy fix is buy a murder house for a discount, rent it out, and then sell in 3 years. 

To finish the story:

I did tell the buyer's agent about my experience, which caused her to burst into laughter to the point of tears...

She'd taken the liberty of getting into the home herself (I don't know how) and prepping the home for the termite fumigation. Apparently calling me to let me know had slipped her mind.

:-\  :'(

We had one of these today at our local Realtor Brokers Preview.

This listing:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Rancho-Santa-Margarita/19-Cascada-92688/home/5618306

is owned by someone accused of murder. The owner is in jail for chopping of his spouse and disposing of the remains in a national park. Since the jury hasn't convicted the owner of the property, the Agent has in the private remarks "a murder "may" have taken place". There isn't any reliable evidence the deed took place on site, but everyone suspects it had.

Back