motor court garbage

fumbling

I don't know if this has been discussed before on TI, but going past a motor court development in Woodbury today, I noticed for the first time, all the garbage cans in front of the end units facing the street.  That seems doubly irksome, first for the owners of the inner units that have to wheel their garbage cans all the way to the street, twice going and twice coming (once for trash and once for recycling), and second for the owners of the end units that have to look out on half a dozen or more garbage bins right outside their picture window or front entrance.  Plus in every development, there are always a few neighbors who take a couple or more days to wheel their garbage in, so I imagine the owners of the end units are likely to have the sight of multiple other people's trash cans probably 3 days a week, week after week.  Just my observation and something I had never thought about as a practical matter of living in a motor court, after all these years of touring motor court developments -- is this something that would be a potential turnoff to people?

Yes... this is one of the cons of motorcourt living... but people make do. Some can even make it just one trip by rolling both trash and recycle out at the same time (although if you did green waste... you'll need a 3rd arm).

I'm trying to think of the pros of a motorcourt but it seems to only benefit the builder.

Then I drove by a detached home development in Woodbury that had the garages in the back along an alley, that was next to the motorcourt development, and that was much more attractive and convenient from a garbage can perspective, since the trash trucks can go into the alley, pick up the trash cans that are in the alley, exit the alley, so there are no trash cans visible along the front part of the houses along the street.  Seems from an garbage aesthetics standpoint, alley-type detached homes are much more attractive than motor court detached homes...after this spark of insight today, I would never buy motor court homes (had my prejudices against them anyway but this seems to be the final straw).

if there are people willing to pay 1+ million for a view of one of the largest landfills in the nation, I am sure the motor court type homes will be fine.

fumbling said:
Then I drove by a detached home development in Woodbury that had the garages in the back along an alley, that was next to the motorcourt development, and that was much more attractive and convenient from a garbage can perspective, since the trash trucks can go into the alley, pick up the trash cans that are in the alley, exit the alley, so there are no trash cans visible along the front part of the houses along the street.  Seems from an garbage aesthetics standpoint, alley-type detached homes are much more attractive than motor court detached homes...after this spark of insight today, I would never buy motor court homes (had my prejudices against them anyway but this seems to be the final straw).

Just like Augusta.

map.png

Yes Augusta, where the soil is not safe enough that you can't plant any fruit trees in the yard.

test said:
fumbling said:

Just like Augusta.

map.png

Does this apply to California Courts in Cypress Village as well?  $1 million to haul your trash in front of your neighbor's house.  $900k to have  your neighbor haul his trash in front of your house.

Your absolutely right test, the ghettofication of irvine. It's right in front of their face and they don't realize it. The more ghetto irvine becomes te more TIC/IP seems to be able to charge.

qwerty said:
Your absolutely right test, the ghettofication of irvine. It's right in front of their face and they don't realize it. The more ghetto irvine becomes te more TIC/IP seems to be able to charge.

Along the ghetto thought.  I've heard that the Great Park housing permits basically doubled (might be an exageration) since they were originally issued - but the building area did not.  High density living is being pushed in Irvine by the State - though it does not appear the developers are complaining. 

Ghetto is right. Check out the atrocious view sometime from the 133 southbound at Portola Parkway, looking towards Stonegate. I hit that stretch again this weekend. It never ceases to amaze me. A dense sea of Monopoly houses. Next time you're on the 241 getting ready to turn onto the 133, take a look at what I mean. I wish I'd had my camera.

monopoly-house.jpg

images

TIC has won this game, hand over fist. They hold all the cards. "Park Place" and "Boardwalk" are packed wall-to-wall with little green boxes. In this game, the coveted red hotel pieces are apartment complexes dotting the board.

images

What fries me is when they promote water conservation. The City of Irvine has been pushing it on their Facebook page. I'll start conserving water when they stop overbuilding.

@qwerty:

Do you really need to take your cans to an external street? Seems like the alley is wide enough to bring a truck through and they just empty the cans at each house like on regular streets.

irvinehomeowner said:
@qwerty:

Do you really need to take your cans to an external street? Seems like the alley is wide enough to bring a truck through and they just empty the cans at each house like on regular streets.

They don't go down any street that requires them to back out.

nosuchreality said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@qwerty:

They don't go down any street that requires them to back out.
But as you can see by the August site plan, they can just go straight through the alleys.

And there are some tracts in Irvine that dead end and the the trucks have to back out because there isn't enough space to u-turn.

irvinehomeowner said:
@qwerty:

we put our garbage cans in the alley. all of the alleys in augusta have two entrances so they can come in one side and just keep driving and go out the other side.

The California Court Company said:
a lot of jealousy from Foothill Ranch and Tustin residents. FCBs have priced them out.

we werent priced out. i just wanted better value for our money. i just like taking jabs at you guys.

qwerty said:
irvinehomeowner said:
@qwerty:

we put our garbage cans in the alley. all of the alleys in augusta have two entrances so they can come in one side and just keep driving and go out the other side.
As I thought, just outside the back of your house right?

The California Court Company said:
a lot of jealousy from Foothill Ranch and Tustin residents. FCBs have priced them out.

The new developments have made the city unrecognizable from what it was 10+ years ago. It's sad. Goodbye, strawberry fields. Hello, concrete jungle. They've done a great disservice to the future of the area. I'd feel the same if it was in my current area. There is nothing to be jealous of - high density living? traffic congestion? 3 story town homes? Lack of privacy? I'm not really the jealous type by nature but if there was something to envy, me, the over-sharer, would have no problem saying so.  If you would have asked me 13 years ago when I first moved to Irvine if I was jealous I probably would have said yes (not knowing what it would become). It was a more desirable place to live then. In 2013 -- you've got to be kidding me.

My big problem with the motorcourt is the proximity to your neighbor... it's almost like an apartment where you go out to your front porch to pick up he paper (if anyone but me does that anymore) and then if your neighbor also happens to be out, you can see their eye boogers it's so close.

I do like that it is like a pseudo cul-de-sac and I'm sure there are some tract parties going on but the closeness could be good or bad.

Maybe we can get some feedback from people who actually live in these front-style motorcourts to get their pros and cons.

Back