Ear Infections

roundcorners

We just got back from another unexpected pediatrician visit. The kid wouldn't stop crying this afternoon. He had a running nose for a week and a half now, teething and we found some blood on his sheets a few nights ago. We knew something wasn't right, when he keeps touching and pulling his ears.

This is his second ear infection in a couple of months; the doc says that if this keeps up, he might need to have a tube place in his ears. Let's pray that, that doesn't happen!

Good thing to know that he can't really get infections from bath time with me; although I should be more careful. He's sleeping good right now; we should get some rest in case he wakes up tonight; he didn't eat too much because he was so uncomfortable.

We were trying to have some dinner at Panera Bread tonight but felt bad for the other customers because he wouldn't stop yelling and fussing...

I have a remarkably simple solution that just may help your son. I used to have problems with ear infections myself until one time while visiting a doctor for antibiotics to take care of an ear infection, I was given a piece of advice that in my opinion should be one of the first courses of action that anyone with a similar problem should take.

My problem is that based on the shape of my middle ear canal, it tends to pool water. The infections start when there is a small nick in the skin (caused by Q-tips or scratching your ears or whatever) and the stagnant water from a swimming pool, bathtub, or whatever the source is helps introduce bacteria into your system.

I used to get ear infections every several months. But a doctor suggested to my parents that I try using a mixture of 50% white vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol after swimming or submerging my head in water. I don't bother using the solution every time my head is submerged, but rather use it as a way to kill any ear infection at an early stage. Just pour a little in his ear and let it sit a couple of minutes. The white vinegar is very acidic and will kill any bacteria. The rubbing alcohol is used to help the white vinegar evaporate quickly.

Even though the white vinegar is acidic, there is no burning sensation. You son won't feel any pain. But if you would like, try it on yourself first. It's perfectly harmless and may just help your son avoid surgery and/or pain from future ear infections.

thanks man.. I'll do more research.. all I know, is that the Pediatrician is getting expensive!! I think my bill is over $1,900 now... :'( the wife and I gotta stop freaking out and take him to the docs with every little problem... I mean, a lot of home remedies should work; along with a handy bottle of amoxicillin and children's Tylenol...

No problem at all. I hope it helps. Here are 40,900 references for your review (the first hit is from the Mayo Clinic) http://www.google.com/search?q=white+vinegar+alcohol+ear&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

But try to hold off on the antibiotics if at all possible. We as a society turn to antibiotics all too often, and thought it seems like a quick fix, it actually causes a lot of harm to both the individual and society at large. (Read up on antibiotic resistant microbes)

Poor little guy. Have you tried baby Motrin instead of Tylenol? Supposedly it works better and can last longer. My son also loves the flavor and asks for more when we give it to him..."more Mot-win pease!" (We don't give him more when he asks, we just think it's cute.)

Supposedly kids are getting fewer ear infections these days since they've been giving the pneumococcal vaccine.

Back