• Back garage, driveway with motorcourt access

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Front garage, but setback with a long driveway access

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

Back in the IHB forum days, I used to debate with BK about the aesthetics of a front garage vs. a back garage.

BK preferred having garages in the back, but I thought the downsides to that were no driveway and small or zero backyards.

Seems like the trend today is a hybrid where they do the front garage (so you still have a backyard) but instead of a driveway, you get a motorcourt to save space. There are some plans like the Montecito tract in Woodbury where you get a driveway, but it's still a motorcourt access.

So let's say you have two houses, similar floorplans, similar size, similar price and same location. The only difference is you have a front garage with a proper driveway or a back garage with motorcourt access.

Would you choose aesthetics or functionality?

(I've included 2 other options to address functionality and aesthetics for both setups)

Yeah... I understand the aesthetics thing... but really... with kids and all... I think function outweighs form.

The garage/driveway is almost as important as the front yard or the back yard... you use it for all types of stuff.

irvinehomeowner said:
Yeah... I understand the aesthetics thing... but really... with kids and all... I think function outweighs form.

The garage/driveway is almost as important as the front yard or the back yard... you use it for all types of stuff.

Speaking of all types of stuff...if your kids chalk up the driveway with their astounding "artwork", do we have to clean it up right away or will I get a nasty letter from the HOA the next day otherwise?

kubert13 said:
Speaking of all types of stuff...if your kids chalk up the driveway with their astounding "artwork", do we have to clean it up right away or will I get a nasty letter from the HOA the next day otherwise?

I would love to have a driveway someday and find out.  :'(

The kids love it.  That is one of the reasons I am resisting ripping out our concrete driveway and putting in a 'decorative' driveway.  Well, that and the cost of doing that for a 3CWG driveway.

Seems like front garage and driveway rule... or rather... having a driveway rules since the other 2 selections with driveways still outnumber just the garage/motorcourt option.

But of course, a driveway takes up precious space so TIC and other Irvine builders will still give us motorcourts. I think there are ways to compromise... like the Montecito set up where you get a driveway but the house is almost up to the front (so very little front yard) but then they should add the sidewalk and berm to make up for the proximity to the street (like some lots in Montecito that are off a street rather than a motorcourt).

Back