Some low-priced suggestions for New Year's bubbly

cameray

Booze on a Budget would like to suggest several choices for celebratory bubbly, all of them good values in the under $15 category. (I know the champagne people will go after me if I don't mention at this point that only sparkling wine from the Champagne region of France is allowed to be called by that name. So now I'm off the hook.)

Riondo Pink Prosecco Raboso: We like this pink-colored Italian for festive family occasions. It's aromatic and fruity ? you'll get strawberries and cherries ? and it's not as light-bodied as many roses. That quality, together with its fine bubbles, fools some wine snobs into thinking it's more pricey than it is. You'll find it for as little as $9.74 online. I've seen it for as little as $7 at Trader Joe's, though I haven't checked there lately.

Cristalino Cava Brut: This Spanish sparkler is a reliable crowd pleaser. Like all cava, it's made from three Spanish varietals: 50 percent Macabeo, 35% Parellada and 15% Xarello. It's an alluring greenish gold color and has a nose of apples, peaches, flowers and cinnamon. According to selectwines.com, it's "crisp and bright, dry with medium-full body ? offers rich flavors of apples, figs, lemon, roasted almonds and pie crust. It is fruit-forward and balanced, with a clean, lemony finish." $5.99 at Tustin's Total Wine & More.

Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noirs: If you want to support the California economy as you toast 2010, give this popular bubbly a try. The Ferrer folks described it better than I could: "Bright strawberry and black cherry aromas with subtle vanilla highlights. Creamy cherry, lemon and cola flavors combine with a lush palate, small, lively bubbles and a persistent finish." It's not just puffery ? Wine Enthusiast gave it 91 points, not bad for a sparkler that sells for $12.99 at BevMo.

http://fastfood.freedomblogging.com/2009/12/30/some-low-priced-suggestions-for-new-years-bubbly/46647/

Back